This Lemon Cupcakes Recipe is the perfect dessert for Spring or Summer. The lemon flavor is so light and refreshing making the cupcakes a tasty treat for parties and even brunch.
Lemon Cupcakes Recipe
This recipe is so easy and the cupcakes have the perfect blend of lemon. It is the best treat when you are craving something sweet but don’t want anything heavy or overly sweet. This is a must try if you love lemon!
I can totally see these cupcakes at a tea party or Spring party or brunch. So fun!
What supplies do I need to make lemon cupcakes?
Make sure you have a good muffin tin to bake the cupcakes in. If you buy a good set, they will last forever.
We also like these silicone muffin pans. They are just so easy to use because of the silicone.
Just use what you prefer.
Also, you certainly can use a hand mixer but we love our stand mixer. It gets a ton of use and to this day is such a good investment.
We bake a lot so it is so handy and we love our mixer.
Let’s make lemon cupcakes from scratch!
Ingredients in Lemon Cupcakes:
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- unsalted butter
- white granulated sugar
- large eggs
- lemon zest
- fresh lemon juice
- vanilla extract
How to make lemon cupcakes from scratch:
First, preheat the oven and fill cupcake pan with liners.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time, beating after each one and scraping down the sides of the bowl.
Beat in the zest and vanilla extract.
Add dry mixture alternating with buttermilk and lemon juice, beating just until combined after each addition.
Now it is time to divide the batter into cupcake liners.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool on wire rack
Now you know how to make lemon cupcakes!
What type of frosting do you use for homemade lemon cupcakes?
Frost with fresh whip cream or frosting of your choice. If we are trying to keep things on the lighter side, we just use whipped cream.
The homemade whipped cream recipe here is really easy and so good on these cupcakes.
Another tasty option is homemade buttercream icing. This is a delicious option if you want something richer and a little more decadent.
You can even top the cupcakes with a lemon slice to make them look extra special. These cupcakes really are so easy and versatile.
We just love them!
Make sure the cupcakes are really cool before icing and decorating with the gel. I use a set of these baking racks and they work great!
Try making mini lemon cupcakes!
This recipe would also be perfect to make mini cupcakes. Just use a a mini-muffin pan.
This is the perfect size for little hands or when you want smaller portions. What a fun treat!
The kids get excited because they get to eat more than one since they are mini size. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time if you decide to make mini lemon cupcakes.
The mini cupcakes do not take as long to bake.
More ideas for lemon cupcakes:
These are so pretty displayed on a cupcake stand! I have one that I use for all my birthday parties, holidays and more. They come in so handy! You could also put some of the cupcakes on a pretty cake stand.
Frosted cupcakes are so pretty and you will love having a nice stand to display these on for parties and gatherings.
If you need to transport your cupcakes, these cupcake carries are so handy! You can even get one of the double or triple ones to carry even more cupcakes!
This is especially nice if you are taking the cupcakes to school or a cookout. There isn’t anything worse than ruined cupcakes in the back of a car!
Everyone will love lemon cupcakes!
They are so light and fluffy and just amazing! I am certain you will agree!
Choose what type of frosting you want to make and get started. I have even left them plain and they were delicious. Just do what works for you.
That is the beauty in this recipe. It is easy to change or adapt for what you have on hand or prefer.
You might want to share a few with friends or neighbors. What a fun way to share the love!
I like to use these individual cupcake boxes and put a cupcake inside. It’s so fun to deliver cupcakes!
You never know what someone might be going through and it’s amazing what a small act of kindness can do to brighten their day. And who doesn’t like cupcakes?! 🙂
Make a list of people that you can deliver cupcakes to and spread some love! Everyone will enjoy these delicious cupcakes. They are so yummy!
Get the kids involved and it will be a fun way to help them show kindness toward others. Plus, they will have a blast making these cupcakes too!
Print this lemon cupcakes recipe below:
This Lemon Cupcakes Recipe is the perfect dessert for Spring or Summer. The lemon flavor is so light and refreshing making the cupcakes a tasty treat.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups white granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest from about 3 lemons
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and fill cupcake pan with liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition, scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Beat in the zest and vanilla extract.
- Add dry mixture alternating with buttermilk and lemon juice, beating just until combined after each addition.
- Divide batter into cupcake liners.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Frost with fresh whip cream or frosting of your choice.
Try these other easy cupcake recipes:
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes Recipe
- Mini Brownie Cupcakes Recipe
- Low Calorie Lemon Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with easy Cream Cheese Frosting
- S’mores Cupcakes Recipe
- Girl Scout Cookie Thin Mint Cupcakes Recipe
- Angel Food Cupcakes
- Homemade Twix Bar Cupcakes
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- Orange Soda Cupcakes
- Cherry Limeade Cupcakes
Try these other easy lemon desserts:
- Lemon Poke Cake Recipe
- Low Calorie Lemon Cupcakes
- Lemon Crinkle Cookies
- Easy Lemon Bars Recipe
- Lemon Cake Recipe
Try more delicious dessert ideas here:
- Homemade Peanut Brittle Recipe
- Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies
- Easy Microwave Fudge Recipe
- Saltine Cracker Toffee
- 3 Ingredient Snicker Apple Salad Recipe
- Easy Red Velvet Cookies
- Quick and Easy Rolo Pretzels
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake Bars
- Quick and Easy Cake Ball Recipe
- Homemade Brownie Recipe
- Oreo Magic Bars Recipe
- Chocolate Covered Rice Krispie Treats