Boston Creme Poke Cake Recipe is so decadent and full of flavor. Make this easy cake in minutes with only a few ingredients. The chocolate and creamy pudding mixture make this cake so amazing.
Boston Creme Poke Cake Recipe
Our family loves Boston cream so I knew this Boston Creme Poke Cake Recipe would be a huge hit. This delicious cake definitely is a winner.
The process only took a few minutes and the cake is very moist and amazing. This recipe does not disappoint and you will love it. \
What is a Boston Cream Pie?
So even though the word “pie” is in the name, Boston cream pie is really a cake. It was created in the 19th century when cakes and pie were made in the same pan.
A Boston Cream pie is 2 layers of cake with a vanilla custard filling in the middle. Then it’s topped with a delicious chocolate icing.
This Boston Cream Poke Cake is a quick and easy recipe to make. You will get all the flavors of a traditional Boston Cream pie but it’s a lot easier to make.
What is a Poke Cake?
The cake is poked all over to allow the delicious pudding mixture to saturate the cake. The flavor gets in the cake for an amazing dessert.
Plus, it is fun to poke the cake for the pudding layer. The kids love to help with this part.
Here is what you’ll need in your kitchen to make this easy recipe.
That’s all you need to make this simple and delicious poke cake recipe.
- Yellow Box Cake Mix – Plus package ingredients
- Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix or French Vanilla Pudding
- Chocolate Frosting
How to make Boston creme poke cake recipe:
- Step 1 – Prepare the cake mix according to package instructions in a large bowl. Bake in a well-greased 9×13 pan.
- Step 2 – When cake is finished baking and while still warm. Poke holes all over cake (about 1-inch) intervals using a wooden spoon handle.
- Step 3 – You want the holes to be fairly big. So that the pudding has plenty of room to get down in there. This is what makes the cake so yummy.
- Step 4 – Poke the holes to the bottom of the cake. So all of that the pudding mixture gets throughout the cake.
- Step 5 – In a bowl, prepare the pudding. Then pour the pudding over cake. Make sure that the pudding mixture gets down into each hole poked into the cake.
- Step 6 – Spread it all out and using the back of the spoon. Gently push pudding down into the holes.
- Step 7 – Put the cake into the fridge to set and cool, about 2 hours or overnight.
- Step 8 – Remove the lid and foil covering from the tub of chocolate frosting. Pop it in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds.
- Step 9 – Stir with a spoon. The frosting should still be a little thick but easy to pour. You do not want it bubbly hot.
- Step 10 – Pour chocolate frosting on top of pudding. Spread frosting evenly over cake starting in the center then spreading it towards the sides.
How to Serve:
This easy poke cake recipe is perfect for a special occasion, pot luck dinner, BBQ or just because. I love serving this cake by itself or with a small side of ice cream.
Do poke cakes need to be refrigerated?
Yes, since this cake is filled with vanilla pudding, you do you have to keep it covered in the refrigerator.
How to Store
Refrigerate covered and the cake should be good for up to 5 days. If your baking pan has a lid that will work great to keep this cake covered. If not, you can also cover this cake with plastic wrap as well.
Can you freeze Boston creme poke cake?
Yes, this cake can easily be frozen. Refrigerate the cake so that the frosting is set. Then cover the cake in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil.
Freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost the cake out at room temperature for serving and then it’s ready to slice and enjoy.
Can this cake be made ahead?
This cake can be made 1-2 days before serving. Make the cake as directed and pour over the pudding layer. Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
I recommend waiting to top the cake with the chocolate frosting until right before serving.
This cake is perfect to make the night before serving. As the cake just gets more moist as the pudding soaks into the cake while being refrigerated.
Tips for Boston Cream Pie Poke Cake:
- Poke Holes – Make sure to use the bottom of a large wooden spoon to poke the holes in this cake. The holes will need to be large so that the pudding can seep down into the cake.
- Instant Pudding Tip – If you use Instant pudding, pour it onto the cake immediately after mixing it with the milk. The instant pudding will start to thicken quickly so you’ll need to pour it right away before it thickens.
- Adding Pudding Layer – When adding the pudding layer, don’t let the cake cool completely. The heat from the cake will help the pudding get into all the holes in the cake.
- Even Layer – Once the pudding has been poured onto the cake, tap the cake pan on the counter. This will make sure that all the air holes are out and will make sure that the pudding fills those hole.
- Heating Icing – Make sure to not overheat the icing as it can affect the cake. Just microwave for 5-10 seconds before topping it on the cake.
- Serve cold – I love this cake cold. Keep it in the refrigerator until ready to serve and only let it sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes.
Does pudding make cake moist?
Yes, the pudding layer on this cake makes the cake very moist and soft. Make sure to get the pudding in all the holes as evenly as possible.
Also, refrigerate after the pudding has been poured over the cake and allow the pudding to set.
Boston Cream Cake Poke Variation Ideas:
- Make a Homemade Chocolate Ganache. You can make a homemade chocolate topping but heaving chocolate chips, heavy cream, vanilla extract and butter. Once the ingredients are melted and combined, pour on the top of the cake and let set.
- Use a white cake mix instead. I used a yellow cake mix in this recipe but a vanilla or white cake mix would be delicious as well.
- Change up the Vanilla Pudding. You can also use banana pudding or sweetened condensed milk instead of the vanilla pudding in this recipe.
- Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips – For added chocolate chip flavors, mix in chocolate chips.
More Easy poke cake recipes:
- Banana Pudding Poke Cake Recipe
- Jello Poke Cake Recipe
- Lemon Poke Cake Recipe
- Cinnamon Roll Poke Cake Recipe
- Red Velvet Poke Cake Recipe
- Pineapple Poke Cake Recipe
- Try one of The Best Poke Cake Recipes
Print Recipe for Boston Creme Poke Cake Recipe:
Boston Creme Poke Cake recipe
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- ingredients needed to make cake; eggs oil and water
- 2 3.4 oz boxes instant vanilla or French vanilla pudding
- 4 cups milk
- 1 tub chocolate frosting
- Make cake mix according to directions and bake in a well-greased 9 x13 pan.
- When cake is finished, while still warm, poke holes all over cake (about 1-inch) intervals using a wooden spoon handle or other similar size object.
- You want the holes to be fairly big so that the pudding has plenty of room to get down in there.
- Be sure to poke right down to the bottom of the cake.
- In a bowl, prepare pudding.
- Whisk together instant pudding mix with 4 cups milk.
- Whisk for about a minute until most of the lumps are gone.
- Pour pudding over cake. Taking care to pour it right into the holes as much as possible.
- Spread it all out and using the back of the spoon, gently push pudding down into the holes.
- Put the cake into the fridge to set and cool (about 2 hours).
- Remove the lid and foil covering from the tub of chocolate frosting.
- Pop it in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds.
- Stir with a spoon.
- It should still be a little thick but pourable – not bubbly hot.
- Pour chocolate frosting on top of pudding.
- Spread frosting evenly over cake starting in the center then spreading it towards the sides.
- Allow to cool on the counter for a few minutes, then put into the fridge to fully cool and set up.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe