Chocolate and Oreo lovers will go crazy over this Oreo poke cake recipe. This cake is so rich and delicious for the perfect dessert. Plus, it is so simple to make.
Oreo poke cake recipe
My kids love oreo cookies so everyone was really excited to try this Oreo Poke Cake Recipe. It did not disappoint! Oh my goodness! We have a new favorite dessert around here!
The chocolate cake and the oreo cookies combined with all of that goodness that soaks into the cake make an amazing dessert. I really think the secret is in the oreo pudding because it adds even more flavor and makes the cake so moist.
This is one of those desserts that you can toss together in minutes and takes very little effort. My kids love to help poke the holes in the cake. So fun!
We have taken this to cookouts and potlucks and it is always the first dessert to disappear. No one ever believes how easy it was to make. 🙂
What is a poke cake?
A poke cake is a type of cake you poke holes in after baking. The holes are filled with a delicious mixture that is poured over the cake and gets into every last inch of the cake. Yum!
Recipes vary but the filling can be a pudding mixture, fruit, sweetened condensed milk and more.
Do you have to refrigerate poke cake?
Yes, refrigerate the cake until ready to serve. This is the best cake and so easy to make with just a few ingredients.
Let’s make Oreo poke cake!
Ingredients for oreo pudding poke cake:
- chocolate cake mix (plus ingredients needed to make cake: eggs, oil & water)
- Instant Oreo pudding
- milk, 2% or higher
- whipped topping (COOL WHIP) thawed
- Oreo cookies (crushed) for topping
How to make Oreo poke cake:
First, go ahead and preheat the oven.
Make the cake mix according to package directions and bake in a well-greased 9×13 pan according to package.
When cake is finished, allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then poke holes all over cake (about 1-inch) intervals using a wooden spoon handle.
In a medium bowl, add milk to pudding mixture and whisk until most of the lumps are removed.
Whisk for about 1-2 minutes until pudding just starts to thicken. Pour pudding mixture over warm cake, making sure to aim for the holes.
Spread it out with a spoon and gently push down on the pudding to help get it into the holes.
Spread whipped topping on top of pudding layer.
Then put the cake in the refrigerator to allow it to cool completely. About an hour.
Once it is set, top with crushed Oreo cookies. (You can use a rolling pin to crush the oreo cookies in a ziplock bag or a food processor.)
Use a 9×13 pan to make this delicious poke cake.
I use the disposable pans for the ones I’m taking to a cookout or if I’m transporting the cake. This cake is also perfect to take to potluck dinners or to someone recovering from surgery or with a new baby.
It’s nice to just be able to toss the dish. Plus, they don’t have to worry about trying to get it back to you.
I also love not worrying about getting the dish back and can just leave it at cookouts and such.
Poke cakes are so frugal and budget friendly!
We love to make poke cakes because they are just so easy and not expensive at all. You can change things up and make so many different flavors and types of poke cake.
The possibilities are endless and everyone gets to enjoy a great dessert.
CAN YOU USE OTHER FLAVORS OF CAKE AND PUDDING?
Yes! You can try other cake flavors and types of pudding in this recipe. There are so many delicious combinations that you can try.
We were out of oreo pudding once and just used vanilla pudding. I have even used store brand oreo cookies and mixed in chocolate chips.
Just use what you have. You are going to love this cake. Another favorite is Banana Pudding Poke Cake Recipe.
The recipe is very versatile. Feel free to try other things with this recipe.
Since we typically use what is on sale at the grocery store or that I already have in the pantry, I cut our grocery bill by 50% off by following these 8 Tips for for Saving Money on Groceries by Menu Planning!
Save that money for something else or to give you family wiggle room in the budget. You will love the money you will save.
Easy recipes like this keep my family happy and my grocery budget in good shape. This is how I keep our grocery budget reasonable and everyone gets to enjoy a great dessert!
Enjoy! Let us know if you make this easy oreo poke cake recipe!
Print this oreo poke cake with oreo pudding below:
Chocolate and Oreo lovers will go crazy over this Oreo poke cake recipe. This cake is so rich and delicious for the perfect dessert. Plus, it is so easy!
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- ingredients needed to make cake- eggs, oil & water
- 2 4 oz packages Instant Oreo pudding
- 3 cups milk 2% or higher
- 1 8 oz tub whipped topping (COOL WHIP) thawed
- 1/2 package of Oreo cookies crushed for topping
- Preheat oven to 350f degrees.
- Make cake mix according to package directions and bake in a well-greased 9x13 pan according to package.
- When cake is finished, allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then poke holes all over cake (about 1-inch) intervals using a wooden spoon handle.
- In a medium bowl, add milk to pudding mixture and whisk until most of the lumps are removed.
- Whisk for about 1-2 minutes until pudding just starts to thicken. Pour pudding mixture over warm cake, making sure to aim for the holes.
- Spread it out with a spoon and gently push down on the pudding to help get it into the holes.
- Spread whipped topping on top of pudding layer.
- Then put the cake in the refrigerator to allow it to cool completely. About an hour.
- Once it is set, top with crushed Oreo cookies.
Try these other poke cake recipe:
- Banana Pudding Poke Cake Recipe
- Cherry Poke Cake Recipe
- Jello Poke Cake Recipe
- Christmas Jello Poke Cake
- Lemon Poke Cake Recipe
- Pineapple Poke Cake Recipe
- Boston Cream Poke Cake Recipe
Try these other Oreo recipes:
- Oreo Dirt Cake Recipe
- Easy Caramel Cheesecake Recipe with Oreo Crust
- Oreo Magic Bars
- Easy Baseball Oreo Pops
- How to make Emoji Oreos
- Oreo Truffle Recipe – 3 Ingredient No Bake Oreo Balls
- Easter Chocolate Covered Oreos
- Chocolate Covered Oreos