Chocolate and Oreo lovers will go crazy over this Oreo poke cake recipe. This cake is so rich and delicious for the perfect dessert. Plus, it is so simple to make.
Oreo Poke Cake Recipe
My kids love oreo cookies so everyone was really excited to try this Oreo Poke Cake Recipe. It did not disappoint. We have a new favorite dessert recipe around here!
The chocolate cake and the oreo cookies combined with all of that goodness that soaks into the cake make an amazing dessert. I really think the secret is in the oreo pudding because it adds even more flavor and makes the cake so moist.
This is one of those desserts that you can toss together in minutes and takes very little effort. My kids love to help poke the holes in the cake.
We have taken this to cookouts and potlucks and it is always the first dessert to disappear. No one ever believes how easy this dessert was to make.
What is a poke cake?
A poke cake is a type of cake you poke holes in after baking. The holes are filled with a delicious mixture that is poured over the cake and gets into every last inch of the cake. Yum!
Recipes vary but the filling can be a pudding mixture, fruit, sweetened condensed milk and more. This is a very easy recipe.
Do you have to refrigerate poke cake?
Yes, refrigerate the cake until ready to serve. This is the best cake and so easy to make with just a few ingredients.
Let’s make Oreo poke cake!
Ingredients for oreo pudding poke cake:
- Chocolate Cake Mix (plus ingredients needed to make cake: eggs, oil & water)
- Instant Oreo pudding
- Milk, 2% or higher
- Whipped Topping (COOL WHIP) thawed
- Oreo Cookies (crushed) for topping
How to make Oreo poke cake:
- Preheat Oven – First, go ahead and preheat the oven.
- Bake the Cake – Make the cake mix according to package directions and bake in a well-greased 9×13 pan according to package.
- Poke Holes in Cake – When cake is finished, allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then poke holes all over top of the cake (about 1-inch) intervals using a handle of wooden spoon.
- Mix Pudding Mixture – In a medium bowl, mix together pudding mix and milk and whisk until most of the lumps are removed.
- Pour over Cake – Whisk for about 1-2 minutes until pudding just starts to thicken. Pour pudding filling mixture over warm cake, making sure to aim for the holes.
- Make sure cake is covered – Spread it out with a spoon and gently push down on the pudding to help get it into the holes.
- Top with Whipped Topping – Spread whipped topping on top of pudding layer.
- Refrigerate Cake – Then put the cake in the refrigerator to allow it to cool completely. We like to keep it in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- Top with Crushed Oreos – Once it is set, top with crushed Oreo cookies. (You can use a rolling pin to crush the oreo cookies in a ziplock bag or a food processor.)
Can I make my own Whipped Cream?
Yes, you can make Homemade Whipped Cream. We recommend making it the day you are going to serve the cake. Homemade Whipped Cream doesn’t last as long as store bought.
Use a 9×13 pan to make this delicious poke cake:
I use the disposable pans for the ones I’m taking to a cookout or if I’m transporting the cake. This cake is also perfect to take to potluck dinners or to someone recovering from surgery or with a new baby.
It’s nice to just be able to toss the dish so they don’t have to worry about trying to get it back to you.
I also love not worrying about getting the baking dish back and can just leave it at cookouts and such.
Can I use other Cookies?
Yes, you can use other cookies. I think any chocolate cookies would be really good. Crushed mint cookies is my kids favorite.
How to Store:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an air tight container for up to 5 to 7 days. Keep in mind the longer it sits, the soggier it will get.
I find the cake is best served fresh within 24 hours of making it.
Can I use a different flavor of Pudding?
Yes, you can. If you are unable to find Oreo pudding mix or want to use a different flavor. We recommend using vanilla pudding mix or chocolate pudding mix.
You will still get that same Oreo flavor from the crushed up Oreo topping.
Do I have to use a Cake Mix?
You do not have to use a cake mix. It definitely makes it easier and quicker though.
However, feel free to make your own cake. We have an easy chocolate cake recipe that is delicious. It would be great to use to make this poke cake.
The beauty of this recipe is that you can easily adapt it to your preference. Either option will be tasty.
Print this oreo poke cake with oreo pudding below:
Oreo Poke Cake recipe
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- ingredients needed to make cake- eggs, oil & water
- 2 4 oz packages Instant Oreo pudding
- 3 cups milk 2% or higher
- 1 8 oz tub whipped topping (COOL WHIP) thawed
- 1/2 package of Oreo cookies crushed for topping
- Preheat oven to 350f degrees.
- Make cake mix according to package directions and bake in a well-greased 9×13 pan according to package.
- When cake is finished, allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then poke holes all over cake (about 1-inch) intervals using a wooden spoon handle.
- In a medium bowl, add milk to pudding mixture and whisk until most of the lumps are removed.
- Whisk for about 1-2 minutes until pudding just starts to thicken. Pour pudding mixture over warm cake, making sure to aim for the holes.
- Spread it out with a spoon and gently push down on the pudding to help get it into the holes.
- Spread whipped topping on top of pudding layer.
- Then put the cake in the refrigerator to allow it to cool completely. About an hour.
- Once it is set, top with crushed Oreo cookies.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Try these other poke cake recipe:
Try these other Oreo recipes:
- Oreo Dirt Cake Recipe
- Oreo Cheesecake Cookies Recipe
- Easy Caramel Cheesecake Recipe with Oreo Crust
- Oreo Magic Bars