This Cake Pop Recipe is so easy and perfect for birthday parties, holidays and special occasions. Choose your favorite cake flavor and make these party treats.
Learn how to make cake pops for the perfect dessert or party favor. It is so easy and a fun cake recipe that anyone can make with simple instructions. You will save so much money making these at home. I also love making Brownie Cake Pops and Cookie Dough Cake Pops for parties and kids love them.
Table of Contents
Why you will love this recipe
- It starts with a cake mix. The recipe is so easy and and takes very little time using a cake mix.
- Budget friendly. You can make an entire batch of homemade cake pops for a fraction of the price of bakery prices.
- Kid friendly and always a hit. They are always a popular dessert and taste great.
- Classic White Cake Mix
- Vegetable Oil
- Large Eggs
- Vanilla Frosting (Store bought frosting or homemade)
- Lollipop Sticks
- Candy Melts
- Multi-Colored Sprinkles
Scroll to the bottom of the post and get the complete ingredient list and instructions.
Variations and Substitutions
- White Chocolate. Substitute white chocolate for almond bark.
- Cream Cheese Frosting. Try other frosting varieties such as homemade cream cheese frosting.
- Cake flavors. Other ideas include strawberry cake, vanilla cake, red velvet cake and lemon cake. Chocolate Cake Pops are also great.
- Sprinkles. Change the type and color of sprinkles for any occasion.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1. Make the boxed cake mix according to the package instructions. Allow to cool completely to room temperature after baked.
Step 2. Crumble the cake in a large mixing bowl and make sure to remove all of the brown outside layers of the cake. Stir in the frosting and mix until well combined.
Step 3. Form the cake crumbs into the cake balls. After you roll the cake mixture, place on a lined cookie sheet. I used a cookie scoop to ensure that each one is approximately the same size.
Step 4. Microwave the candy melts in 30-second increments. Stir and continue until melted. Dip each stick in melted candy and then insert into the ball.
Step 5. Place on a lined baking sheet. Freeze 10 to 15 minutes.
Step 6. Dip each one into the melted candy melts. The candy needs to cover the cake pop completely. Let any excess chocolate drip back into the bowl.
Step 7. Add sprinkles before the candy dries.
Step 8. Place the sticks in a Styrofoam block so the candy can dry. Continue to coat until you have finished all the treats.
- Make sure to add enough frosting. The cake pops will crack if there isn’t enough frosting in the mixture.
- Freeze before dipping. It is important to freeze the cake pops before dipping in the melted candy. This will help them stay intact.
Frequently Asked Questions
Refrigerate any leftover cake pops in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Absolutely! Skip the cake pop sticks and just make cake balls.
This is often the result of the temperature difference between the cake balls and the melted chocolate. It is important that you don’t freeze the cake balls any longer than instructed.
It is easy to freeze cake pops. Just make sure they are completely dry before freezing. Freeze in a freezer container up to 5 to 6 weeks. Thaw at room temperature when you are ready to serve.
More Easy Cake Pop Recipes to try
Go ahead and make these fun and delicious cake pops today. Then please leave a comment and star recipe rating letting.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a 9X13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mix, stir together the cake mix, water, vegetable oil and eggs until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake based on the cake mix package instruction.
- Let the cake cool completely at room temperature.
- Remove the cake from the pan and remove all the brown outside layer of the cake and throw it away.
- Crumble up the remaining cake into a large mixing bowl. Stir the frosting in with the crumbled cake until everything is well combined.
- Shape mixture into 24 cake balls and place on a lined cookie sheet. I used a cookie scoop to ensure that each one is approximately the same size.
- Place the candy melts in a small microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds, then stir. Then continue to heat in 30 second intervals stirring between each one until the candy melts are fully melted.
- Dip each cake pop stick into the melted candy and then place them into the cake balls about halfway through the balls. Then place in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Then dip each cake pop into the melted candy melts (you may need to re-melt if it has solidified some while the cake pops were in the freezer). Make sure that the candy covers the cake pop completely. Allow the excess melted candy to drip off back into the bowl.
- Then place the stick of cake pops in a block of styrofoam while the candy dries and solidifies. Add the sprinkles immediately before the candy dries.
- Continue until all the cake pops have been covered. Once all the cake pops are dry, they are ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe