The sweet and salty combination of Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies is guaranteed to be a treat everyone will enjoy. The soft and chewy cookies combine with the crunchy pretzel for a decadent recipe.
Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies
The crunch in these cookies taste absolutely delicious with the soft and sweet chocolate chips. We love to make Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes and this new variation is amazing.
Each bite is a delightful blend of chocolate, pretzels and more. It really is fabulous. If you like the sweet and salty combination, try Potato Chips Cookies.
- Unsalted Butter softened
- Brown Sugar
- Granulated Sugar
- Large Eggs room temperature
- Vanilla Extract
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Crushed Pretzels
- Chocolate Chips
How to make Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies:
- Step 1. Combine the butter and sugar. Beat together the butter and both sugars with a hand held mixer or stand up mixer until creamy.
- Step 2. Add the eggs. Then add in the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix until combined using medium speed.
- Step 3. Combine the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cornstarch baking soda and salt.
- Step 4. Lower the mixer speed. Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add in the flour mixture. Mix until just combined, being careful not to over mix and scrap the sides of the bowl.
- Step 5. Add the crushed pretzels and chocolate chips. Then gently stir in the crushed pretzels and stir in the chocolate chips (reserve some for topping) by mixing these into the dough by hand.
- Step 6. Chill the dough. Then refrigerate the dough for 30-60 minutes.
- Step 7. Preheat the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Step 8. Make the dough balls. Place tablespoons of the dough onto a baking sheet using a cookie scoop. Gently press the dough down and top each cookie with the reserved crushed pretzels and chocolate chips.
- Step 9. Bake the cookies. Bake for 9-11 minutes until the edges of the cookies are slightly golden brown.
- Step 10. Allow to cool. Remove from the oven and let the cookies sit on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then move them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Step 11. Then the cookies are ready to serve and enjoy!
Store any leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Place a slice of bread in the container with the cookies to keep them soft.
How to freeze cookies:
This recipe can easily be frozen. You can freeze the baked cookies or the dough. It is easy to do either way.
Freezing the dough
Form into balls as normal and place on a baking sheet. Put the cookies in the freezer for 2 to 3 hours. Flash freezing the cookies will prevent them from sticking on the container.
Then transfer the cookie dough balls to the freezer container or bag. Freeze up to 3 months. Bake as normal but allow a few extra minutes when baking frozen cookies.
Learn how to freeze cookie dough.
Freezing Baked Cookies
Make sure the cookies are completely cool. Place inside a freezer bag or container. Freeze up to a month. Thaw at room temperature when ready to serve.
Tips for the Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- Measure the flour accurately. Spoon the flour into the measuring spoon. Do not scoop it. That will pack too much flour into the cup and the measurements won’t be accurate.
- Room temperature eggs and butter. Both of these should be room temperature before mixing into the other ingredients. They will combine better if room temperature.
- Line the cookie sheet. Prepare the baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet. The lined baking sheet will help the cookies to not spread.
- Don’t overbake the cookies. The cookies will be soft when they come out of the oven. Do not continue to cook them as they will get firm as they cool. This is the secret to soft cookies.
- Extra Toppings. Top the cookie dough balls with more crushed crunchy pretzels or chocolate chips. They will look even more stunning with pretzel pieces after you bake them. Sea Salt is also tasty for extra flavor and texture.
Add-ins and Substitutions
- Chocolate. White Chocolate and Dark Chocolate make great options in this recipe along with semi sweet chocolate chips. You can also chop chocolate and use chocolate chunks.
- Candy Bars. Chopp some of your favorite candy bars and add to this recipe. Some ideas include butterfinger, snickers, milkway and more.
- Candy. Sprinkle M&M’s or Reese’s Pieces into the dough. This is delicious and adds a colorful addition to the recipe.
- Nuts. Chopped walnuts, pecans or peanuts taste great in this recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, it is important to chill the dough for 30 to 60 minutes before forming the cookies. Chilling the dough first will help the cookies not to spread too much while baking.
Any shape of pretzels is fine. Just make sure to crush them into small pieces.
Print the Recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookies with Pretzels:
Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies
- Beat together the butter and both sugars with a hand held mixer or stand up mixer until creamy.
- Then add in the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, cornstarch and salt.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add in the flour mixture. Mix until just combined, being careful not to over mix.
- Then gently stir in the crushed pretzels and chocolate chips (reserve some for topping) by mixing these into the dough by hand.
- Then refrigerate the dough for 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place tablespoons of the dough onto a baking sheet using a cookie scoop. Gently press the dough down and top each cookie with the reserved crushed pretzels and chocolate chips.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes until the edges of the cookies are slightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let the cookies sit on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then move them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Then the cookies are ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes:
- Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies