Hawaiian Wedding Cake is a delicious blend of yellow cake and all the flavors of a piña colada. It starts with a cake mix and then a rich pudding mixture transforms this recipe into a tropical delight with toasted coconut.
If you like Pineapple Desserts, this cake recipe is the one to try. It starts with a simple box mix but the toppings take it to the next level. The recipe calls for a few simple ingredients but it turns out amazing.
Table of Contents
What is a Hawaiian Wedding Cake?
It is a type of poke cake and very easy to make. Layers of pudding, pineapple and a cream cheese mixture are soaked into the yellow cake.
The Wedding Cake recipe is made using a 9×13 sheet pan so it is very simple. It has all the delicious flavors of a tropical Hawaiian Cake.
- yellow cake mix
- whipped topping
- instant vanilla pudding mix
- crushed pineapple
- cream cheese
- sweetened coconut flakes
Jump to recipe card below for the complete ingredient list.
Variations and Additions
- Maraschino Cherries. Top the cake with maraschino cherries before serving. It adds a pop of color and more flavor.
- Cake Mix. I prefer yellow cake mix but white cake mix is another option.
- Homemade Whipped Cream. Instead of cool whip, feel free to use homemade whipped cream.
How to make Hawaiian Wedding Cake recipe:
Step 1. Combine the cake mix ingredients according to its package instructions in a 9×13-inch baking pan.
Step 2. Pour the cake batter into the cake pan. Then bake the cake according to the package.
Step 3. While the cake is baking, mix together the topping. Combine the dry pudding mix, milk, and cream cheese and mix with an electric beater or mixer until blended well.
Step 4. Carefully fold by hand the mixture and whipped cream. Allow to chill in the refrigerator.
Step 5. Allow the cake to cool completely. Then poke holes all over the top of the cake with the round end of a wooden spoon’s handle.
Step 6. Cover the cake in crushed pineapple including the juice. Make sure to spread all of this evenly.
Step 7. Spread the whipped cream mixture in a thick, even layer on the cake.
Step 8. Sprinkle the entire cake with toasted shredded coconut. I like to chill the cake for 30 minutes before serving.
- Crushed Pineapple is best. Make sure to use crushed pineapple in the recipe and not pineapple tidbits.
- Don’t overmix the cake. Overmixing will change the texture of the cake and it won’t be as light and fluffy.
- Spread the topping evenly. You want every bit of that delicious topping to get in all the holes.
- Chopped Nuts. Sprinkle chopped pecans or walnuts on top of the whipped cream mixture.
Yes, cover the cake and place in the fridge. It will last up to 3 days.
This cake is easy to freeze if desired. Cover in plastic wrap and again in foil. Place in the freezer up to 3 months.
I suggest the end of a wooden spoon. It makes the perfect size holes and is easy to do.
This recipe can be adapted for other sizes. Just make sure that you adjust the baking time according to the size you use.
More Delicious Poke Cakes:
Try this recipe for Hawaiian wedding cake and please leave a comment. I love hearing from you!
Hawaiian Wedding Cake
For the cake:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- Ingredients to prepare the cake based on the package instructions.
For the frosting:
- 12 ounces whipped topping
- 3 oz instant vanilla pudding mix
- 15 oz crushed pineapple, not drained
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 cups milk 2% or whole
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- Bake the cake according to its package instructions in a 9×13-inch baking pan.
- While the cake is in the oven, combine the dry pudding mix, milk, and cream cheese and mix with an electric beater or mixer until blended well and has a smooth consistency.
- Gently fold the mixture and whipped cream together and place in the refrigerator.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, poke holes on top of the cake with the round end of a wooden spoon’s handle.
- Spread the crushed pineapple and its juice evenly over the cake.
- Add and spread the whipped topping mixture in a thick, even layer on the cake.
- After frosting the cake, sprinkle or top the entire cake with toasted shredded coconut.
- Serve right away or keep the cake covered and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe