Do you know someone that loves orange crush soda? They will love these easy Orange Crush Cupcakes and delicious frosting. Perfect for a birthday party, cookout or anytime of the year.
Orange Soda Cupcakes Recipe:
From the homemade cupcakes to the decadent frosting, this recipe does not disappoint. The secret is the orange crush soda and it really turns the icing into something special.
The made from scratch cupcakes and topping with the Orange Crush Frosting make a delicious cupcake. These cupcake soft, fluffy and moist. We love the orange frosting and they are perfect for any occasion.
Can I Use a Cake Mix?
Yes, you can use a cake mix to make this Orange Soda Cupcake. We love the simple ingredient cupcake mix, but using a cake mix is even easier. We have made it both ways and they are always a family favorite.
Mix the cake mix, eggs and the additional ingredients on the box. Pour batter into cupcake liners.
Ingredients for Orange Cupcakes:
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Unsalted Butter (softened)
- Large Egg
- Large Egg Whites
- Vanilla Extract
Ingredients for Orange Crush Frosting:
- Unsalted Butter (room temp)
- Powdered Sugar
- Orange Crush Soda
- Orange Food Coloring
How to Make Orange Crush Cupcakes:
- Step 1 Make the Cupcakes – First, let’s make the cupcakes. Go ahead and preheat the oven to 350 – degrees.
- Step 2 – Prepare Muffin Pan – Second, get your cupcake pan out and put a cupcake liner in each tin.
- Step 3 – Mix Dry Ingredients Together – Next, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Set aside as you will need this in a few minutes.
- Step 4 – Combine Butter and Sugar – Mix the butter and sugar until the mixture is fluffy. I like to use a mixer for this so it is quick and easy.
- Step 6 – Add in Eggs – Once the butter and sugar are the right consistency, add in an egg and egg white one at a time. Once all the eggs are in, add the vanilla.
- Step 7 – Mix in Buttermilk – Next, stir in the buttermilk.
- Step 8 – Mix wet and dry ingredients together – Now, incorporate the flour and buttermilk mixture together until everything is well blended. Be careful not to overmix.
- Step 9 – Scoop batter into liners – Add the mixture into the cupcake liners. I use a cookie scoop to make sure each one is uniform and it also make the process much faster. Fill each one about ¾ full. You do not want to overfill or you will have a mess.
- Step 10 – Bake Cupcakes – Finally, bake for about 25 minutes. Oven times vary so I do like to use a toothpick to insert in the center to make sure it comes out clean.
- Step 11 – Cool Cupcakes – Let the cupcakes cool completely.
How to Make Orange Crush Frosting:
- Step 1 – Cream Frosting Ingredients – I use a stand mixer for this as it is so easy. Just add all of your ingredients and cream until light and fluffy on medium speed in a medium bowl.
- Step 2 – Thick Frosting – The frosting needs to be thick enough to stand up. If your icing is not this consistency, add more powdered sugar to the mixture. Now, if it is too thick, add orange soda until you reach desired consistency.
- Step 3 – Continue Mixing – Just work with it until the frosting is the desired consistency. Also, make sure to mix it well together after each ingredient you add.
- Step 4 – Frost Cupcakes – Put the frosting into a pastry bag and use a large decorating tip. I love these Wilton throw away bags or you can also use a ziploc bag if you don’t one. Just cut the corner off and frost each cupcake.
Decorate and enjoy these pretty soda cupcakes.
More Equipment Needed:
- Muffin tin – Silicone pans make a great option and we love them.
- Cookie Scoop-The cupcakes and icing will be much easier with one of these but it is not necessary. Buy them in a set and you will get other sizes that will work for cookies and even meatballs.
- Cupcake carrier – Perfect for transporting
How to Decorate Orange Soda Cupcakes:
These cupcakes with orange frosting are easy to decorate. If you make your frosting in advance, make sure it is a room temperature.
We like to put the frosting in a piping bag and swirl the frosting on the cupcake. We even like to add in a fun straw to make it look like a drink.
So many fun ways to decorate these cupcakes.
How to Store:
These orange flavored cupcakes need be refrigerated. Store the leftover cupcakes in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Can you Freeze Cupcakes?
Yes, these cupcakes can be frozen. I prefer to freeze them without the frosting. Place inside a freezer safe container and freeze up to 2 months.
Thaw in the refrigerator overnight when ready to enjoy. Make the frosting as normal and frost the cupcakes.
- Orange Jello – You can mix orange jello into the frosting mix for a fun twist.
- Orange Extract – Add a tablespoon of orange extract to the cupcake batter for added flavor.
Print this Recipe for Orange Cupcakes:
Orange Soda Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- Orange Soda Frosting:
- 6 TBSP unsalted butter room temp
- 4 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 5 TBSP Orange Crush soda
- orange gel food coloring
- Cupcake Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with your favorite paper liners.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Whip the butter and sugar with a mixer until pale and fluffy.
- Add in an egg and egg whites, one at a time. Add in vanilla.
- Whisk in the buttermilk.
- Slowly mix together flour and buttermilk mixture until well blended. Do not over mix.
- Fill your cupcake liners ¾ full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from pan and place each on a wire rack to cool completely. While your cupcakes are cooling, make your frosting.
- Orange Crush Frosting Directions:
- Cream all of your ingredients together until smooth.
- You want your frosting to be thick enough to stand up. If it isn’t thick enough, add more powdered sugar. If it is too thick, add more soda. Be sure to mix well after each addition.
- Once the frosting is ready, scoop it into a pastry bag with a large decorating tip.
- Decorate to suit your taste.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Cupcake Recipes:
- Cherry Limeade Cupcake Recipe
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcake Recipe
- Confetti Cupcakes
- Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipe
- Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes Recipe
- Key Lime Cupcakes Recipe
- Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes recipe
- Strawberry Shortcake Recipe