Pinata Cupcakes have a fun surprise in the middle. These cupcakes are filled with sprinkles and topped with delicious frosting. It is a fun dessert for any occasion.
What are pinata cupcakes?
These are just cupcakes with sprinkles in the middle. When you bite into them, you get a fun surprise in the middle.
These colored sprinkles make this recipe perfect for a birthday, Cinco de Mayo or any celebration. It is one of our favorite cupcakes to make and the kids love them.
We used funfetti cake mix to make this recipe but you can use vanilla cupcakes or anything else you want.
One bite and you will see the rainbow of sprinkles inside. This dessert is a blast to make and serve.
This recipe will definitely impress.
While these cupcakes look fancy and super impressive, they are actually very easy to make. It starts with a cake mix so it is very fast and easy.
With these easy step by step instructions, anyone can make these. I don’t consider myself a baker and had a blast making these cupcakes. Don’t let this recipe intimidate you as it is so simple.
The kids get really excited when we make these and ask for them at almost every birthday party.
For the Cupcakes:
- Funfetti Cake Mix. Plus, Ingredients to prepare the cupcakes according to the package.
- Bright Color Rainbow Sprinkles (divided)
- Solid Vegetable Shortening
- Butter. softened at room temperature
- Clear Vanilla Extract
- Confectioners’ Sugar (sifted)
How to make pinata cupcakes:
- Step 1. Make the cupcakes. Prepare the Funfetti cake mix based on the cupcake instructions. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely at room temperature.
- Step 2. Make a hole in each cupcake. Using a small knife, cut holes into the centers of each cupcake that is approximately 1 inch in diameter and 1 inch deep in the center of each cupcake. Gently cut the bottom off of each cupcake insert to make the plugs for the cupcakes.
- Step 3. Add the sprinkles. Fill each of the holes in the cupcakes with the rainbow sprinkles. Make sure to save some of the sprinkles with the topping. Finally, top with the cupcake plug and gently press it down to make it level.
How to make the frosting:
- Step 1. Combine the shortening and butter. In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and butter until combined and smooth.
- Step 2. Gradually add the powdered sugar. Then slowly add in the confectioners’ sugar (1 cup at a time) on low speed until well combined.
- Step 3. Add the vanilla. Then stir in the vanilla extract and milk until combined.
The fun part. We love to decorate these.
How to decorate pinata cupcakes:
- Step 1. Get out a piping bag. Place the frosting in a decorator’s bag with a star tip and pipe the frosting on top of each cupcake.
- Step 2. Add the sprinkles. Top with the reserved sprinkles and the cupcakes are ready to serve and enjoy!
Tips for sprinkle filled cupcakes:
- Frosting. We used vanilla frosting but you can use chocolate, lemon, strawberry or your favorite. You can even use store bought icing if you need to save even more time.
- Cake. Funfetti cake mix is always a popular option but this cupcake recipe can be made with any type. Try using chocolate or strawberry cake for more great options.
- Cupcake Liners. Change this up for special occasions, birthdays and more. We definitely suggest using cupcake liners because it makes them easier to handle with adding the sprinkles.
- Mixer. You can use a stand mixer or hand held electric mixer to make the frosting.
- Allow to cool. The cupcakes should be completely cool before cutting the hole out and adding the filling. If you do this too soon, the color from the sprinkles may run into the cupcake.
- Food coloring. You can add food coloring to the frosting if you want it to be different colors. This would be fun to match to a birthday party or theme.
- Fill evenly. Add the same amount of cake batter to each cupcake liner. It will help them to bake evenly.
- Knife with serrated edges. This type of knife will make it easier to remove the core from each cupcake.
- Filler. Make sure to add enough sprinkles to each cupcake so you have the cool pinata effect. This is super fun when taking that first bite.
How to store:
Store the leftover cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2-3 days. You can also refrigerate the leftover cupcakes for up to 1 week.
I do not suggest freezing these cupcakes. The color can run from the sprinkles.
If you need to make them in advance, make and freeze the cupcakes. Then thaw when ready to enjoy and cut, fill and frost.
More filling ideas:
- Mini chocolate chips. This is a great idea for chocolate lovers.
- Peanut Butter chips. This would be delicious if you used chocolate cupcakes. The combination sounds amazing.
- Small candies. Nerds, red hots, skittles or any small candy is perfect to use in the middle of these cupcakes.
- Nuts. Chopped pecans, walnuts, macadamia nuts are perfect for the filling.
- Cereal. Choose your favorites to add to the cupcake. Some ideas include Cookie Crisp, Cocoa Pebbles, Fruity Pebbles and more.
Sprinkles are fun but you can substitute for lots of other items. Choose your favorite and make some of these variations.
This recipe is a blast.
Get started making this fun and easy recipe. It is super easy and turns out so cute.
Once you make them, everyone will request them frequently. They are just so festive.
Print the recipe for Pinata Cupcakes below:
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 Box Funfetti Cake Mix
- *Ingredients to prepare the cupcakes on the package
- Bright Color Rainbow Sprinkles divided
For the Frosting:
- 1/2 cup Solid Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 cup Butter softened at room temperature
- 1 tsp Clear Vanilla Extract
- 4 cups Confectioners’ Sugar sifted
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- Prepare the Funfetti cake mix based on the cupcake instructions and allow the cupcakes to cool completely at room temperature.
- Using a small knife, cut holes into the centers of each cupcake that is approximately 1 inch in diameter and 1 inch deep in the center of each cupcake. Gently cut the bottom off of each cupcake insert to make the plugs for the cupcakes.
- Fill each of the holes in the cupcakes with the rainbow sprinkles (reserve some of the sprinkles with the topping) and then top with the cupcake plug and gently press it down to make it level.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and butter until combined and smooth.
- Then slowly add in the confectioners’ sugar (1 cup at a time) on low speed until well combined.
- Then stir in the vanilla extract and milk until combined.
- Place the frosting in a decorator’s bag with a star tip and pipe the frosting on top of each cupcake. Top with the reserved sprinkles and the cupcakes are ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More fun cupcakes:
- Ice cream cone cupcakes
- Thin Mint Cupcakes Recipe
- Graduation Cupcakes
- Orange Soda Cupcakes
- Cherry Limeade Cupcakes