Key lime pie recipe is one of those decadent pies that just scream Summertime! With the perfect combination of sweet and tartness, this delicious pie is heavenly in a graham cracker crust.
You will love this simple recipe and how creamy and delicious it is. It is one the easiest Lime Desserts and I make it frequently. The rich and creamy texture is so delicious. My family also loves this Lemonade Pie for another great pie recipe.
Table of contents
Why we love this pie recipe
With only a few simple ingredients, this recipe is so easy to make. If you love key lime pies, this recipe is the one to try. This pie is effortless to make and tastes amazing with so much lime flavor.
It is the best key lime pie recipe and super easy.
Graham Cracker Crust
- Graham Cracker Crumbs
- Granulated Sugar
- Butter Melted
Key Lime Filling
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Light Sour Cream
- Key Lime Juice
- Lime Zest
Scroll to the bottom and get the complete list of ingredients.
- Store-bought crust. Swap the homemade crust for storebought.
- Whipped Cream. You can use store bought whipped cream. Just make sure to thaw it first.
- Lemons. Substitute lemon in this recipe instead of limes.
How to make The Best Key Lime Pie
Step 1. Combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter in a small to medium bowl.
Step 2. Once combined, press the crumb mixture into a 9-inch pie plate. Bake for 7 minutes and allow to cool on wire rack.
Step 3. Add all of the filling ingredients into a mixing bowl.
Step 4. Stir the filling ingredients with a whisk.
Step 5. Once combined, pour the Key Lime Pie Filling into the graham cracker crust. Bake for 10 minutes.
Step 6. Allow the pie to chill for at least 3 hours. Then top the pie with whipped cream. Add lime zest, lime slices and serve.
Frequently Asked Questions
Key limes are typically more tart than just a normal lime. Florida Key West limes are also known as Mexican limes and are not has sweet. Keep this in mind if you substitute one for the other.
You can normally find key lime juice but if you do not, you can use regular lime juice. It just will not be as tart.
Key Lime juice is the perfect tart and very aromatic flavor for many dessert recipes. You can use regular limes instead of key limes in many recipes. But when making Key Lime Pie, cupcakes or lime dessert, we like to stick with Key Limes.
Key lime and regular limes appearance is noticeably different. The color and the size of the limes are the first of many differences. The key lime is smaller and has more of a yellow tint.
When cut in half, the skin of a key lime is thinner than regular limes. But if regular limes is all you can find at your local store, then they will work for this recipe.
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator covered in foil. Make sure to cover the pie with a plastic wrap and the key lime pie will stay fresh for up to 3 days.
Tips for the best key lime pie
- Using a food processor is helpful – It is also helpful to use a food processor to get the graham crackers really fine.
- Crush in a Zip Lock Bag – However, if you don’t have a food processor, you can also crush the graham cracker sheets in a ziplock bag with a rolling pin.
- Pie Plate – You will need a good pie plate to make your pie crust in. We purchased our plate on Amazon for a good price. You can see several pie plates here to choose from.
- Graham Cracker Crust Option – If you are out of white sugar, you can also use brown sugar for the graham cracker crust. If you have never tried it, it really is delicious.
- No Eggs are needed – You do not need to add egg yolks to the key lime pie filling.
Try these other easy pie recipes
- Lemonade Pie Recipe
- Margarita Pie Recipe
- No Bake Oreo Pie Recipe
- Quick and Easy Reese’s Pie Recipe
- Try one of these 30 Best Pie Recipes
More Lime Recipes
Once you try this award winning key lime pie recipe, you will be hooked. Please come back and leave a comment once you do.
Easy Key Lime Pie
- Graham cracker crust:
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp butter melted
- Key Lime Filling:
- 28 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 3/4 cup key lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- Whipped Cream Topping Use this recipe – https://dessertsonadime.com/homemade-whipped-cream/
- Graham cracker crust:
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter in a small bowl. Press the crumb mixture into an 8″ – 9.5″ pie pan. Bake for 7 minutes. Cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Key Lime Filling:
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Whisk together sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice, and lime zest in a medium bowl. Pour into prepared graham cracker crust and bake for 10 minutes.
- Let pie cool slightly before chilling. Chill for at least 3 hours.
- Whipped Cream Topping
- Pipe the whipped cream on top of the cooled pie. Top with additional lime zest if desired.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe