This chewy and decadent Butterscotch bars recipe is rich and delicious. Homemade butterscotch cookie bars taste fantastic without much work.
Butterscotch bars recipe
Butterscotch is such a rich flavor. These easy to make bars turn out amazing for a treat everyone will enjoy.
Most of the ingredients are pantry staples. It really is so simple to put together. Anyone can make these in 15 minutes or less. The hardest part is waiting for them to bake.
You may also love these 7 Layer Magic Bars.
What is a butterscotch chip?
Butterscotch chips are morsels used in baking or for toppings in desserts. They are shaped like chocolate chips but butterscotch flavor.
The flavor is delicious for a yummy dessert. I could eat them by the handful.
If you love butterscotch, this recipe is a must try.
- Butter, softened at room temperature
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Large Eggs, at room temperature
- Vanilla Extract
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Butterscotch Baking Chips
How to make butterscotch bars:
- Preheat the oven. It needs to be set to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9X13 pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine the butter and sugar. Beat together the butter and both of the sugars in a medium size mixing bowl with either a hand held mixer or a stand up mixer. The sugar and butter should be combined thoroughly.
- Add the vanilla and eggs. Mix until they are combined well.
- Mix in the flour. On a low speed, mix in the flour, salt and baking powder until just mixed in. Be careful not to over mix.
- Fold in the butterscotch chips. Then gently fold in the ¾ cup of butterscotch baking chips.
- Pour into a pan. Spread the batter into the 9X13 baking pan. Sprinkle the remaining butterscotch chips on top of the batter in the pan.
- Bake the bars. Bake for 25 minutes to 30 minutes or until the edges of the bars are lightly golden brown and the center is set (they may appear slightly undercooked but they will continue to set as they cool to room temperature).
- Allow to cool. Cool the bars on a wire rack before slicing. Then they are ready to slice, serve and enjoy!
Jump to recipe below for complete instructions. You definitely want to print recipe. It is amazing.
How do you store butterscotch bars?
Store any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. I like to use parchment paper in between the layers of bars.
You can keep a piece of bread in the container and it will help keep these bars soft while storing them.
How to freeze butterscotch bars:
These bars can be frozen up to 1 month. Cover tightly in plastic wrap and place inside an airtight container.
When ready to serve, allow the bars to thaw in the fridge overnight. They will still taste amazing in this freezer friendly recipe.
Butterscotch cookie bars tips:
- High quality butterscotch. The results are much better if you use a good brand of butterscotch morsels. Nestle Toll house works great.
- Don’t overbake the bars. They may seem soft when taken out of the oven. However, they will continue to set as they cool.
- Prepare the pan. Don’t forget to spray the baking pan with cooking spray.
- Pretzels. Crush into smaller pieces.
- White Chocolate Chips
- Chocolate Chips. Try using dark chocolate, milk chocolate or semi sweet.
- Peanut Butter Chips. Toss in a ½ cup for a fabulous combination with the butterscotch.
- Mini Marshmallows
- Oatmeal. We love to make oatmeal butterscotch bars.
- Drizzle the top with caramel sauce. This turns them into fabulous Butterscotch Caramel Bars.
- Melted chocolate. Drizzle white or milk chocolate all over the tops of the bars.
- Nuts. Mix in chopped pecans or walnuts.
These bars ore amazing as is but it is fun to try new flavors with these variations.
Toll House butterscotch bars make a tasty treat.
These bars are sweet and delicious. With very little work, anyone can make these. I don’t consider myself a baker and thought it was an easy recipe.
They make the perfect after school snack or dessert for a party. Give this recipe a try. It does not disappoint.
More Cookie bar recipes:
More Butterscotch Dessert Recipes
Print this Butterscotch bars recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9X13 baking pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Beat together the butter and both of the sugars in a medium size mixing bowl with either a hand held mixer or a stand up mixer.
- Then add in the vanilla and both of the eggs. Mix until they are incorporated.
- On a low speed, mix in the flour, salt and baking powder until just mixed in. Be careful not to over mix. Then gently fold in the ¾ cup of butterscotch baking chips.
- Spread the batter into the 9X13 baking pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining butterscotch chips on top of the batter in the pan.
- Bake for 26-30 minutes or until the edges of the bars are lightly golden brown and the center is set (they may appear slightly undercooked but they will continue to set as they cool to room temperature).
- Cool the bars on a wire rack.
- Then they are ready to slice, serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe