Enjoy decadent layers of chocolate chips, butterscotch, nuts and more in this Magic Cookie Bars Recipe. Each bite is heavenly, and the entire recipe is so quick and easy.
I grew up eating cookie bars and they bring back such amazing memories. If you have never had magic cookie bars, you need to stop everything and go make these. You will thank me later for these seven layer bars. If you like Oreo cookies, try these Oreo Magic Bars.
Table of Contents
What is inside a Magic Bar?
The recipe for Magic Cookie Bars usually consists of 7 layers of easy ingredients. The great thing about the recipe for magic bars is they can easily be changed. But traditionally this is what is inside the delicious 7-layer Bars:
- Graham Crackers
- Sweet Condensed Milk
- Chocolate Chips
- Butterscotch Chips
- Shredded Coconut
Ingredients for Magic Bars:
- Melted Butter
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Butterscotch Chips
- Graham Cracker Crumbs
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – Try our Sweetened Condensed Milk Recipe
- Sweetened Shredded Coconut
- Chopped Walnuts
You can get the complete ingredient list and recipe instructions at the bottom of the post.
- Change the crust – You can easily change to a chocolate graham crackers. Make the crust out of cookies such as gingersnaps for different flavoring using the food processor.
- Chocolate Chips – Change the butterscotch chips to peanut butter chips, dark chocolate chips or white chocolate chips. We love the change of flavor.
- Add Candy – Add in chopped heath or toffee bits for amazing added flavor.
- Candied Pecans – If you have made some candied pecans for the holidays, use them instead of walnuts for amazing flavor.
- Nuts. Try using chopped pecans instead of walnuts.
How to Make Magic Cookie Bars:
- Step 1. Prepare Oven – First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Step 2. Line Baking Pan – Line a 9X13 baking dish with aluminum foil or parchment paper. This will help with cleanup and make it so much easier. Spray with cooking spray.
Step 3. Place the graham cracker fine crumbs and melted butter together in a mixing bowl. You can use a food processor or a ziplock bag and rolling pin.
Step 4. Combine everything together.
Step 5. Pour the mixture into the pan.
Step 6. Then press it down into the bottom of the 9X13 pan.
Step 7. Start layering the ingredients. Top with chocolate chips,
Step 8. Then sprinkle the butterscotch chips.
Step 9. Top with coconut and walnuts.
Step 10. Finally, pour sweetened condensed milk over the top of all the ingredients. Use a spatula to make sure that it’s over the top as evenly as possible.
Step 11. Bake until the edges begin to brown.
Step 12. Allow the bars to cool and then slice.
- Line Baking Pan – To make it easy to remove the bars from the pan, make sure to line with parchment paper and cooking spray. This makes it easy to clean the pan as well.
- Crust – Combine with melted butter and graham cracker crumbs completely. This will ensure that the crust is doesn’t crumble when serving.
- Press Crust Firmly – When pressing the graham cracker crust in the pan, press firmly so that the entire pan is covered.
- Layer Ingredients – When placing the chocolate chips on the graham cracker crust, make sure to evenly layer all the ingredients.
- Spread Condensed Milk – Make sure to evenly pour the condensed milk over the top of the other ingredients. You may need to use a spatula to spread.
- Coconut – If you do not like coconut, you can easily leave it out. I like to add in more chocolate chips if I do.
We recommend cutting the magic bars when they are completely cool. If you cut them to early then you could end up with a chocolate mess.
Remove bars from the pan with the parchment paper as it easier to cut out of the pan.
With a sharp knife begin cutting bars in small squares.
These bars are rich and sweet, so I usually cut in smaller squares.
To store your leftover magic bars, place in an airtight container at room temperature. If stored correctly these layer bars will last up to 5 days.
Yes, you can freeze magic cookie bars. In fact, they are even tasty straight from the freezer. Place the completely cooled magic bars in a freezer safe container. They will stay fresh up to 2 months.
More Easy Dessert Bars:
Try this yummy magic bar recipe for a great treat. Please come back and leave a comment once you do.
Magic Cookie Bars
- 1 1/2 cup Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 1/2 cup Melted Butter
- 1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup Butterscotch Chips
- 1 cup Sweetened Shredded Coconut
- 1 cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1 14oz can sweetened Condensed Milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 9X13 pan with foil or parchment paper, Then spray the pan (including the sides) with non-stick spray.
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter together in a mixing bowl.
- Then press it down into the bottom of the 9X13 pan.
- Then sprinkle the chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, coconut and walnuts (in this order) over the top of the graham cracker bottom, one at a time.
- The pour the sweetened condensed milk over the top of all the ingredients. Use a spatula to make sure that it’s over the top as evenly as possible.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the edges begin to brown and top begin to brown slightly.
- Allow the bars to cool completely.
- Then slice into bars and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe