Caramel Apple Slices are easier to eat than candy apples and the topping ideas are endless. This Fall treat is perfect for parties without much work.
I am always hosting something for the kids and recently made these Sliced Caramel Apples. The slices on a stick are packed with everyone’s favorite toppings.
As a seasoned mother, I can tell you this is much easier for little hands and smaller appetites. It is less mess and easier to eat than traditional dessert recipes.
There is definitely a time for those luscious Caramel Apples. However, for Halloween or Fall parties, the slices work better for a fun treat.
Table of Contents
Why everyone will love Caramel Apple Slices:
- Easy to eat. These bite size slices make it perfect for snacking.
- Simple to customize. Choose your favorite toppings and make an assortment of yummy slices.
- The cutest party food. These adorable caramel apple slices are so much fun to serve at parties.
- Granny Smith Apples
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Caramel Squares. You can also make homemade caramel sauce.
You can get all the ingredients for this recipe if you scroll down to the recipe card.
The toppings are endless for these crisp apples. Switch out the toppings for your favorites.
- Chocolate Chips. Milk Chocolate or Dark Chocolate
- White Chocolate
- Caramel Bits
- Chopped Nuts. Peanuts are most popular, but you can try walnuts or pecans.
- Mini Marshmallows
- Peanut Butter Chips
- Crushed Cookies
You can also use any variety of apples you like. We like tart apples to balance out the sweetness. Granny Smith is a favorite but feel free to use a sweet apple like Gala, Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, Fuji and more.
How to make Apple Slices with Caramel:
Step 1. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Then slice the apples so they are full slices and not wedges.
Step 2. Remove any seeds and use a paper towel to dry the apple slices.
Step 3. Place a lollipop stick into each apple slice.
Step 4. Melt the chocolate using a microwave safe bowl in intervals. Then dip the apple slices to coat in chocolate.
Step 5. Remove any excess chocolate and lay the apples on the sheet pan with wax paper. Continue until the apples are coated.
Step 6. Melt the caramel in the microwave.
Step 7. Drizzle the caramel sauce on each apple slice.
Step 8. Top with the toppings you prefer to use. Allow the chocolate and caramel to set and serve.
Tips and Tricks
- Melt the coating in intervals. It is important to melt the chocolate and caramel in intervals. This will prevent it from burning.
- Add the toppings right away. The chocolate should not be set when you add the toppings so it will stick.
- Wrap in cellophane for gifts or party favors. These are so adorable to give to friends and neighbors.
- Toss the apples in lemon juice. This will prevent the slices from browning while you melt the chocolate and caramel.
- Dry the apples thoroughly. The chocolate will not stick to the apples if they are wet.
- Popsicle Sticks. If you plan to add a lot of toppings and need a sturdier stick, you can use popsicle sticks.
- Use colorful melting wafers. For a nice color contrast, drizzle different colors of melting wafers on the slices. You can change this the occasion or holiday.
- Don’t add too many toppings. You do not want the apple slices to be so heavy that the stick breaks.
Store the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 2-3 days in the fridge. Do not leave at room temperature. Make sure the chocolate and toppings set before you store them.
They will stick together and make a mess if they are not set.
Frequently Asked Questions
Simply toss the apple slices in lemon juice after slicing. This will prevent them from turning brown while you wait to melt the chocolate and add the toppings.
Wax will prevent the coating from adhering to the apples. Rinse the apples in hot water to remove any waxy residue on them. Then dry each slice thoroughly.
Yes, refrigerate the apples to keep them fresh.
It takes about 45 minutes for the apples to set. Then you can wrap them in cellophane if you prefer. Just make sure they are not sticky and completely set.
You can make these up to 2 days in advance.
More Easy Apple Recipes to try:
Once you make this fun and delicious recipe, leave a comment letting us know the toppings you used. Also, please leave a star rating once you make this recipe.
Caramel Apples Slices
- Lollipop Sticks
- 2 Granny Smith Apples
- 12 ounces Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips divided
- 11 ounces Caramel Squares
- 2 teaspoons Water
- Toppings: Chocolate Chips M&Ms, Sprinkles, Nuts, etc.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Slice the apples in full slices (not wedges) that are approximately ¼ an inch thick. Remove the seeds from the slices and pat the slices dry with paper towels.
- Insert the lollipop stick into the bottom of the apple slices.
- Place the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 20 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until the chocolate chips are fully melted.
- Dip the apple slices into the melted chocolate until fully coated.
- Gently scrape off the excess chocolate and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Continue this process until all the apple slices are covered.
- Place the caramel squares and water in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 20 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until fully melted.
- Drizzle the caramel on top of the apple slices with a fork and immediately top with the toppings of your choice.
- Let the apple slices sit at room temperature until the chocolate and caramel have set. Then they are ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe