Cranberry cake recipe is the perfect dessert or snack and so easy to make. Grab a slice and a cup of coffee for the best treat.
You will be surprised how amazing this simple cranberry cake recipe is. It only calls for a few ingredients and it’s the perfect blend of sweet and tart cranberries. This Christmas Cake Recipe is perfect for dessert or your morning coffee.
Table of Contents
What is Cranberry Cake?
This cake isn’t too sweet like some cakes can be. The entire recipe is just perfect and the cranberries look so festive for Christmas. However, this cake really is too good to only be enjoyed during the holidays.
Ingredients for Cranberry Christmas Cake:
- Large Eggs
- Butter, softened
- Vanilla Extract
- All-purpose Flour
- Fresh Cranberries
Find the complete ingredient list at the bottom of the post.
- Frosting – There really is no need for icing or frosting since this cake is so full of flavor. But you can easily drizzle a cream cheese frosting or whipped topping before serving.
- Blueberries – You can easily swap cranberries for blueberries for this recipe. You can still use frozen or fresh blueberries for a delicious variation.
- Nuts – If you want to add in some crunch, add in chopped pecans or walnuts. We really love the sweet and salty combination.
- Flavored Extract – If you want to deepen the flavor of the cake, add in some flavored extract. We suggest some orange zest, orange extract or almond extract. The combination of these ingredients with the cranberries make this Christmas cake so delicious.
- Gluten Free – Make gluten free with 1:1 switch with gluten free flour.
- Cake Pans – We made this cake in a 9×13 cake pan, but you can easily use a muffin pan or mini bread pans. This would be the perfect size for gift giving. If using a smaller pan, make sure you adjust your baking time. It may only take about 30 minutes to bake.
- Disposable Pan – If you are planning to take this Christmas Cake over to family for dinner, bake in 9 inch disposable cake pans. They come with a domed lid and they are easy to transport.
Step by step instructions
- Step 1 – First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Step 2 – Next, spray a 9 x13 pan with non-stick baking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Step 3 – Beat the eggs and sugar together either with a stand mixer or a hand-held mixer.
- Step 4 – You want to beat until ingredients are well combined and ingredients almost double in size and easily forms large peaks.
- Step 5 – Then add in the butter and vanilla extract to the egg mixture and mix until these ingredients are well combined (approximately 2 minutes).
- Step 6 – Slowly stir in the dry ingredients by hand until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Step 7 – Now it is time to fold in the fresh cranberries into the batter gently.
- Step 8 – Spread the mixture evenly into the 9X13 pan.
- Step 9 – Bake for 40-50 minutes until the cake is browned lightly and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Step 10 – Allow the cake to cool completely and then slice and enjoy!
Cranberry Cake Tips:
- Thaw Cranberries – If you are using frozen cranberries, we recommend thawing them while preparing the cake. If you try to mix in frozen cranberries the dough will become even thicker than it already is.
- Cake Dough – After mixing the ingredients together, the dough will be very thick. You will need to press the dough into the prepare cake pan to evenly spread the cake out.
- Baking Powder – There is no need for baking powder or baking soda for this cake recipe. Combining the eggs and making everything is mixed together helps with leavening for the cake.
- Beating Eggs – Make sure to beat the eggs and sugar together until the form large peaks. It is important not to skip this steps as helps with how the cake turns out.
- Line Baking Pans – For ease of removing the cake from the pan, I would recommend lining with parchment paper. You can remove the cake easier and it helps with slicing and cleanup.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, this is the perfect recipe to use Frozen Cranberries. Once the fresh, dried cranberries start hitting the store shelf, I buy several to toss in my freezer. We use cranberries in many recipes because of how flavorful they are.
I love the way they softened as they bake and they add flavoring to the cake. When I make this recipe, I use frozen cranberries.
Cut the cake into small square for ease of serving. It is delicious by itself or you can add a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream.
When storing this cake, we leave it at room temperature. Cover the cake loosely with plastic wrap. We do not recommend covering the cake air tight as it could change the cakes texture.
If you plan to freeze the leftover cake, make sure you cover with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Place in the freezer and it will stay fresh for about 3 months.
When ready to serve, thaw cake at room temperature.
More Christmas Cake Recipes:
- Christmas Jello Poke Cake Recipe
- Christmas Lasagna Dessert Recipe
- Christmas Dirt Cake Recipe
- Red Velvet Pound Cake Recipe
Make this delicious cake today. Then please come back and leave a comment letting us know how it turned out.
Cranberry Cake recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray 9 x13 pan with non-stick baking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together either in a stand up mixer or a hand held mixer. Beat until ingredients are well combined and ingredients almost double in size and easily forms large peaks.
- Then add in the butter and vanilla extract to the egg mixture and mix until these ingredients are well combined (approximately 2 minutes).
- Slowly stir in the flour by hand until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Then fold in the fresh cranberries into the batter gently.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the 9X13 pan.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until the cake is browned lightly and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely and then slice and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe