If you are looking to change up your classic Pumpkin Pie Recipe, make Dulce De Leche Pumpkin Pie. Smooth, decadent with a hint of caramel flavor takes your favorite pie recipe to the next level.
This creamy sauce adds caramelized flavor with a hint of warm spices. We love the combination of the pumpkin and caramel mixed together as it makes it so smooth and creamy. You will love this Pumpkin Pie with dulce de leche for all your holiday plans.
Table of Contents
What is Dulce de Leche?
It is very similar to caramel but consists of different ingredients. Dulce de Leche is made from sweetened condensed milk. Whereas caramel is made from sugar and water.
This caramel sauce is rich in flavor and can be added to many dessert recipes.
What is Dulce De Leche Pumpkin Pie?
This recipe is for all the pumpkin lovers in your life. Adding this one special ingredient that is full of caramel flavor really makes this pie extra smooth, creamy and full of flavor. These ingredients are added in a microwave safe bowl and whisk together for the perfect consistency and sweetness.
You still get the pumpkin depth of flavor but with a added caramel flavor and warm spices. The Dulce De Leche Pumpkin ingredients are topped on a pie crust and baked to perfection.
- Pie Crust – unbaked (9 inch)
- Pumpkin Puree
- Dulce De Leche
- Vanilla Extract
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Large Eggs
Scroll to the bottom to see the recipe card for the full recipe and ingredients.
- Crust – We used already prepared pie crust, but feel free to make a Homemade Pie Crust.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice – I use this on all my pumpkin desserts. But you can make your own with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and cardamon.
Step by Step Instructions:
- Step 1 – Prepare Pie Crust – Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place the pie crust in a 9-inch pie plate and crimp the edges of the pie crust. Chill the pie crust while you are preparing the filling.
Step 2 – In a small bowl, Beat together the pureed pumpkin, dulce de leche, vanilla extract, salt, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and eggs.
Step 3 – Pour pumpkin pie filling into the pie shell and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F and bake an additional 35-45 minutes until the pie filling is set around the outside of the pie (the center will still be slightly jiggly).
- Step 4 – Serve and Enjoy – Cool on the baking rack until completely cooled (at least 2 hours). Slice and serve topped with whipped cream and ground cinnamon. Enjoy!
- Pie Crust Tip – If the crust is getting too brown while baking, cover the crust with aluminum foil halfway through the bake time to keep the crust from getting too brown.
- Pumpkin Puree – We used canned pumpkin in this recipe, but you can make homemade pumpkin if you prefer. It maybe a little to savory for this dessert, but you can still use it.
- Cool Pie – Make sure to allow the pie to cook on a wire rack before serving.
- Dulce De Leche – You can make Homemade Dulce De Leche, but I like using a can. It makes it so much easier.
Pumpkin Pie Toppings:
If you are looking to add topping to your pumpkin pie, try one of these options.
- Cool Whip
- Homemade Whipped Cream
- Vanilla Ice Cream
Can you Freeze?
Yes, you can freeze this pie fully cooked. I like to prepare as many recipes as I can so it cuts down on cooking everything at once. If you place freezing this pie, let the pie cool to room temperature before freezing.
Wrap the pie in plastic wrap and then in foil, fully covering the pie. Place in the freezer and freeze for up to 3 months. Once you are ready to serve, thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Can this Pie be Made in Advance?
This pie can easily be made the night before serving it. You can also prepare the filling and pour it into the container. Place the cream pie filling in the refrigerator until you are ready to pour it into the pie crust.
Once you have added the pie mixture to the crust, then bake as normal. I usually just prepare the entire pie the night before I am serving it and then it is ready to go.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Make sure to not overbake pie. When removing the pie from the oven it should have a slight jiggle center. Also allowing pie to cool gradually helps to keep a smooth center.
Refrigerate the leftovers covered for up to 5 days. When we make this for Thanksgiving, we love having Thanksgiving leftovers. Pumpkin Pie is always delicious leftover if stored properly.
More Dulce De Leche Recipes:
If you love the Dulce De Leche flavor, make these other recipes.
More Easy Pies:
We love hearing from you. If you make this Dulce De Leche Pumpkin Pie Recipe, leave us a comment.
Dulce De Leche Pumpkin Pie
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place the pie crust in a 9 inch pie pan and crimp the edges of the pie crust. Chill the pie crust while you are preparing the filling.
- Beat together the pumpkin puree, dulce de leche, vanilla extract, salt, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and eggs.
- Pour into the pie shell and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F and bake an additional 35-45 minutes until the pie filling is set around the outside of the pie (the center will still be slightly jiggly).
- Cool on the baking rack until completely cooled (at least 2 hours). Slice and serve topped with whipped cream and ground cinnamon. Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe