Homemade cake mix is so easy to make from scratch. Learn how to make DIY cake mix in a jar. Simple Ingredients makes this the perfect gift for the holidays.
Homemade Cake Mix is so easy to make. You just mix everything together and store in a mason jar. You can use it to make your favorite cake recipe. Whether you want to make a birthday cake or a homemade Vanilla cake Recipe, it is so easy anytime the craving strikes.
Table of contents
Why this recipe works
Once you are ready to bake a cake or cupcakes you just add the wet ingredients. This makes it easy to have a homemade cake from scratch any time of the week. You will have the ease of using a boxed cake mix.
- All-Purpose Flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Milk or Buttermilk
- Oil, Vegetable or Canola
- Large Eggs, room temperature
- Vanilla Extract
Find the complete list of ingredients at the bottom of the page.
How to Make Homemade Cake Mix
Step 1 – In a medium bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients.
Step 2. Pour the ingredients in a jar with lid or airtight container.
How to Make a Cake with Homemade Cake Mix
- Step 1 – To make cake or cupcakes, combine wet and dry ingredients. Mix cake mix and wet ingredients including teaspoon of vanilla and ½ cup of milk. Use a stand mixer or a hand held mixer and stir until well combined.
- Step 2 – Pour batter into greased 13×9 cake pan or divide into cupcake liners.
- Step 3 – Bake cake batter at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes. Or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Step 4 – Bake cupcakes at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Step 5 – Cool completely and frost as desired.
You can also frost the cake with store bought as well.
- Ingredients – When preparing you cake mix, make sure that you are using fresh ingredients. Before preparing check the expiration dates on the ingredients as this could affect the way your cake taste.
- Combining Ingredients – We recommend sifting the dry ingredients together. This keeps the mixture from having lumps in it.
- Storing Dry Ingredients – To store your dry ingredients, make sure it is a cool place. Store the ingredients in a air tight jar, container or zip lock bag.
- Wet Ingredients – When you are ready to combine the wet and dry ingredients together, we recommend using room temperature wet ingredients. They combine easily and it makes the batter smooth.
- Egg Whites – If making a white cake mix, we suggest using egg whites instead of the whole egg.
- Other Cake Mix Options – This is a base cake mix recipe, you can also make a chocolate cake or white cake. Use this recipe for cupcakes or round cakes.
- Layer Cake – You can even make this cake mix to use for a single layer cake or a double layer cake. The cake mix results in a light and fluffy cake.
- Flour – We used all purpose flour in this recipe, but you can also use cake flour.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can easily make this homemade vanilla cake mix a chocolate cake. Simple add in cocoa powder to the dry mix and store. Then when you are ready to make a chocolate cake add in your wet ingredients.
There are many different things that you can add into your cake mix.
Chocolate Chips – We have used mini chocolate, dark chocolate chips, or semi-sweet chocolate chips. These are perfect rather you are making a white cake, vanilla cake or a chocolate cake.
Add in Nuts – For a delicious crunch, mix in some nuts. We recommend chopped pecans, walnuts, or slice almonds.
Candy – We love the additional flavor of adding in some M&M’s or other candy options.
Sprinkles – If you are making a homemade birthday cake, mix in some sprinkles. There is nothing better then a white cake with sprinkles. Make sure to add it to your frosting as well.
Homemade Cake Mix will last about 2 to 3 days if stored properly. Once you have combined with the wet ingredients, you can store in the refrigerator or on the counter.
Place your dry ingredients in a jar, air tight container or zip lock bag. It is recommended that you make the cake mix within about 2 to 3 days.
More Homemade Cake Recipes
Try this homemade cake mix recipe for an easy time saving trick. Once you make it, please leave a comment.
Homemade Cake Mix
- In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients
- Store in jar with lid or airtight container
- To make cake or cupcakes
- Combine cake mix and wet ingredients until well combined
- Pour batter into greased 13×9 pan or divide into cupcake liners
- Bake cake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Bake cupcakes at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Cool completely and frost as desired
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe