This classic Homemade Vanilla Cupcake Recipe is actually very simple and perfect for any occasion. Skip the box mixes and make these amazing vanilla cupcakes from scratch.
Homemade Vanilla Cupcake Recipe:
Everyone loves cupcakes so I thought I would try making this Homemade Vanilla Cupcake Recipe. It is so easy and the cupcakes are really moist and decadent when the butter and sugars combine.
These are perfect for the next birthday party, holiday or for any day of the week. I suggest Monday because cupcakes would make Monday better.
You can use any frosting and add extras like sprinkles. There are so many fun ideas for simple ingredients vanilla cupcakes. See more Vanilla desserts.
What do you need for Homemade Vanilla Cupcakes?
Just use what you prefer. Also, you certainly can use a hand mixer but we love our stand mixer. It gets a ton of use and to this day is such a good investment.
We bake a lot so it is so handy and we love our mixer. It will really help to make the cupcakes and frosting even easier.
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Granulated Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Cooking oil, Vegetable Oil or Canola
- Unsalted Butter
- Vanilla Extract
- Milk or Heavy Cream
- Powdered Sugar
This is just an option. Feel free to use any type of frosting you prefer.
How to make vanilla cupcakes from scratch
- Prepare the Oven – First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and and fill the pan with cupcake liners.
- Mix the dry ingredients together – Next, in a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Set aside.
- Beat Eggs and Sugar – In a large bowl, beat the eggs, add sugar and continue beating for a few seconds.
- Add oil and vanilla extract beat until well combined. Gradually add dry ingredients alternating with buttermilk.
- Beat until well combined. Batter will be thin but this is normal.
- Place batter in liners – Divide into cupcake liners about 2/3 full.
- Bake Cupcakes – Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely and frost. Baking time could vary.
How to make Frosting:
- Cream Butter and Shortening – In a large mixing bowl, cream the butters and shortening until smooth. This only takes a few minutes.
- Mix Vanilla and Milk – Mix vanilla extract and milk (or cream) together.
- Mix in Powdered Sugar – Gradually add powdered sugar alternating with a couple tablespoons of milk until desired consistency.
- Add Food Coloring – You can tint the frosting any color you like or leave it the way it is.
Tips for the Best Vanilla Cupcakes:
- Rose Decoration – For the rose decoration, fit a decorator bag with a #1M decorating tip. Beginning on the right side of the cupcake, swirl frosting in a counterclockwise motion to create the rose.
- Measure Flour Correctly – When you are preparing your flour make sure you put the right amount in the mix. If you need to, use a scale to measure. Or make sure you use a knife to level the flour in the measuring cup.
- Use Fresh Ingredients – Make sure when you are preparing these cupcakes that you use, fresh ingredients. We especially like using really good vanilla or making Homemade Vanilla. It is the main flavor in these cupcakes and it helps to really good vanilla.
- Add Sprinkles – My kids love adding sprinkles to the cupcakes. There are so many ones to choose from. Use the color for the them of your celebration.
- Get fun Cupcake Liners – We love to get creative with the cupcake liners. There are so many fun ones to choose from. It is a special touch to these amazing cupcakes.
- Don’t Overcook – When you toothpick inserted comes out clean, then your cupcake is ready.
- Add in Sour Cream – Adding sour cream to the cupcake mixture adds moisture to the cupcake without thinning it out.
- Make a Vanilla Cake – You can also use this recipe to make a Vanilla Cake.
What Frosting to use:
You really can do anything! Plus, add sprinkles or anything you like to match the theme or holiday.
Can I make Cupcakes ahead of time?
Yes, you can make these ahead of time. This is a great way to save time before your celebration. Make sure that your cupcakes are at room temperature before storing. If you are just storing overnight, they can remain at room temperature.
Once you are ready to serve, decorate and enjoy.
How to store Vanilla Cupcakes:
Make sure to promptly when they reach room temperature so they do not dry out. Place in an air tight container to keep them fresh.
If your cupcakes are frosted, you will store based on your cupcakes frosting. If it frosted with butter, cream cheese, or cream based frosting then it needs to be refrigerated.
This is the Best Cupcake Recipe!
I think you will love just how easy it is and how delicious the light and fluffy cupcakes taste. The flavor can’t be beat and you can really tell the difference from using a cake mix versus these homemade cupcakes.
Vanilla is such a classic flavor and really easy to use for any occasion. You can easily change the frosting, add sprinkles or different embellishments for any holiday or season.
It is is a great cupcake recipe to have on hand that can be used all the time. Enjoy! Let us know how your cupcakes turn out.
Our family loved this recipe!
Print this homemade vanilla cupcake recipe below:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 1 ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup cooking oil vegetable or canola
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup 1 stick Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 cup Shortening
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4-6 tablespoons very cold milk or heavy cream
- 8-9 cups Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and fill pan with cupcake liners
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Set aside
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, add sugar and continue beating for about 30 seconds
- Add oil and vanilla extract, beat until well combined
- Gradually add dry ingredients alternating with buttermilk
- Beat until well combined, batter will be thin
- Divide into cupcake liners, 2/3 full
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Cool completely and frost
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butters and shortening until smooth, about 3-5 minutes
- Mix vanilla extract and milk (or cream) together
- Gradually add powdered sugar alternating with a couple tablespoons of milk until desired consistency
- Rose Decoration
- Tint frosting any color you like
- Fit a decorator bag with a #1M decorating tip
- Beginning on the right side of the cupcake, swirl frosting in a counterclockwise motion to create the rose.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Try these other Easy Cupcake Recipes:
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes Recipe
- Girl Scout Cookie Thin Mint Cupcakes Recipe
- Angel Food Cupcakes
- Cherry Limeade Cupcakes