This classic Homemade Vanilla Cupcake Recipe is actually very simple and perfect for any occasion. Skip the box mixes and make these amazing vanilla cupcakes from scratch.
Homemade Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
Everyone loves cupcakes so I thought I would try making this Homemade Vanilla Cupcake Recipe. It is so easy and the cupcakes are really moist and decadent. I can totally tell the difference from those box mixes.
These are perfect for the next birthday party, holiday or for any day of the week. I suggest Monday because cupcakes would make Monday better. 🙂
You can use any frosting and add extras like sprinkles. There are so many fun ideas for vanilla cupcakes.
What do you need to make homemade vanilla cupcakes?
You will need a good muffin tin to bake the cupcakes in. If you buy a good set, they will last forever.
We also like these silicone muffin pans. They are just so easy to use because of the silicone.
Just use what you prefer.
Also, you certainly can use a hand mixer but we love our stand mixer. It gets a ton of use and to this day is such a good investment.
We bake a lot so it is so handy and we love our mixer. It will really help to make the cupcakes and frosting even easier.
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- cooking oil, vegetable or canola
- Unsalted Butter
- vanilla extract
- milk or heavy cream
- Powdered Sugar
This is just an option. Feel free to use any type of frosting you prefer.
How do you make vanilla cupcakes from scratch?
First, preheat the oven and and fill the pan with cupcake liners.
Next, whisk together flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, beat the eggs, add sugar and continue beating for a few seconds.
Add oil and vanilla extract, beat until well combined. Gradually add dry ingredients alternating with buttermilk.
Beat until well combined. Batter will be thin but this is normal.
Divide into cupcake liners about 2/3 full.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely and frost
Now let’s make the frosting!
In a large mixing bowl, cream the butters and shortening until smooth. This only takes a few minutes.
Mix vanilla extract and milk (or cream) together.
Gradually add powdered sugar alternating with a couple tablespoons of milk until desired consistency.
You can tint the frosting any color you like or leave it the way it is.
For the rose decoration, fit a decorator bag with a #1M decorating tip.
Beginning on the right side of the cupcake, swirl frosting in a counterclockwise motion to create the rose. So pretty!
What goes well with vanilla cupcakes?
You really can do anything! Plus, add sprinkles or anything you like to match the theme or holiday.
Save time and use a cookie scoop!
I have a set of stainless steel cookie scoops that I love and they make baking so much easier. You can order a set here.
They really are a time saver. If you love baking, I recommend that you keep these in your kitchen.
I don’t even consider myself a baker and I use them all the time. I use the largest size to scoop the cupcake batter and it makes it so easy.
The smaller scoop I use for cookies and to make meatballs. You will definitely get your money worth out of these little scoops.
This is the best cupcake recipe!
I think you will love just how easy it is and how delicious the cupcakes taste. The flavor can’t be beat and you can really tell the difference from using a cake mix versus these homemade cupcakes.
Vanilla is such a classic flavor and really easy to use for any occasion. You can easily change the frosting, add sprinkles or different embellishments for any holiday or season.
It is is a great cupcake recipe to have on hand that can be used all the time. Enjoy! Let us know how your cupcakes turn out.
Our family loved this recipe!
Print this homemade vanilla cupcake recipe below:
This classic Homemade Vanilla Cupcake Recipe is very simple and perfect for any occasion. Skip the box mixes and make these vanilla cupcakes from scratch.
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 1 ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup cooking oil vegetable or canola
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup 1 stick Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 cup Shortening
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4-6 tablespoons very cold milk or heavy cream
- 8-9 cups Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and fill pan with cupcake liners
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Set aside
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, add sugar and continue beating for about 30 seconds
- Add oil and vanilla extract, beat until well combined
- Gradually add dry ingredients alternating with buttermilk
- Beat until well combined, batter will be thin
- Divide into cupcake liners, 2/3 full
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Cool completely and frost
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butters and shortening until smooth, about 3-5 minutes
- Mix vanilla extract and milk (or cream) together
- Gradually add powdered sugar alternating with a couple tablespoons of milk until desired consistency
- Rose Decoration
- Tint frosting any color you like
- Fit a decorator bag with a #1M decorating tip
- Beginning on the right side of the cupcake, swirl frosting in a counterclockwise motion to create the rose.
Try these other easy cupcake recipes:
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes Recipe
- Mini Brownie Cupcakes Recipe
- Low Calorie Lemon Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with easy Cream Cheese Frosting
- S’mores Cupcakes Recipe
- Girl Scout Cookie Thin Mint Cupcakes Recipe
- Angel Food Cupcakes
- Homemade Twix Bar Cupcakes
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- Orange Soda Cupcakes
- Cherry Limeade Cupcakes
Try these other easy desserts:
- Homemade Peanut Brittle Recipe
- Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies
- Easy Microwave Fudge Recipe
- Saltine Cracker Toffee
- 3 Ingredient Snicker Apple Salad Recipe
- Easy Red Velvet Cookies
- Quick and Easy Rolo Pretzels
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake Bars
- Quick and Easy Cake Ball Recipe
- Homemade Brownie Recipe
- Oreo Magic Bars Recipe
- Chocolate Covered Rice Krispie Treats