Make Homemade mounds bar with just 3 ingredients. It is super easy and such a great treat for coconut fans.
Homemade Mounds Bar Recipe:
This super easy dessert will surprise you! It only has 3 ingredients and is so very easy to make. The entire recipe is quick and simple for the best dessert or snack. If you love buying mounds candy bars, this is a must try.
They look so fancy and taste even better. These Homemade Mounds Bar are similar to the almond joy candy bar. Sweet coconut filling is dipped in melted chocolate for the perfect mounds bar treat.
I was really pleased with how they turned out. The bars looked like something you might see at a bakery but without the fancy price tag.
What is the Main Ingredient in a Mounds Candy Bar?
The main ingredient for this Homemade Mounds Candy is the coconut. Since their is only 3 ingredients each are a must when making these delicious treat.
You can dip the coconut mounds in milk chocolate, dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Mound Bar Ingredients
- Unsweetened Shredded Coconut – make sure you get the unsweetened variety.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Semi-Sweet or Dark Chocolate – either would be delicious
How to Make Mounds Bar:
- Step 1 – Combine Milk and Coconut – First, you need a medium mixing bowl. Add the coconut and sweetened condensed milk to the bowl and combine really well.
- Step 2 – Shape into Logs – Second, with clean and wet hands, shape the coconut mixture into 12 logs.
- Step 3 – Line Baking Sheet – Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place each mounds bar on it.
- Step 4 – Freeze Mounds Bars – Finally, freeze for about 20 to 30 minutes. Don’t skip or rush this step in freezing the bars. It is so important as it will help the chocolate set later.
- Step 5 – Prepare Chocolate – While the coconut bars are in the freezer, get the chocolate ready. You can use semi-sweet or dark chocolate. Feel free to use your favorite or what you already have in the pantry.
- Step 6 – Begin Melting Chocolate – Use a microwave-safe bowl and microwave the chocolate on high for 30 seconds.
- Step 7 – Continue Melting – Stir the chocolate and microwave in 15 second intervals. Make sure to stir in between each interval until the chocolate is completely melted.
It is really important to do this in intervals so you don’t burn the chocolate. It is a super easy recipe but you need to make sure to follow the instructions precisely.
- Step 8 – Dip Mounds Bars into Chocolate – Once melted, use forks to dip each of the coconut bars into the chocolate. I also try to shake off any excess chocolate.
- Step 9 – Place back on Baking Pan – As you coat them, place back on the cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Let the melted chocolate chips on the bars set.
- Step 10 – Line Baking Sheet – Make sure to use parchment paper as it will help with cleanup and save you time later.
- Step 11 – Serve and Enjoy – It usually does not take long since the bars were chilled in the freezer. They should set pretty quickly. It won’t be long before you are enjoying this decadent chocolate treat.
Homemade Mounds Tips:
- Melting Chocolate – Carefully melt chocolate in 30 second intervals. Stir the chocolate after melting so that it doesn’t burn.
- Double Boiler – You can also melt the chocolate on the stove top in a double boiler if you prefer.
- Chocolate Chips – We used semi-sweet chocolate chips but you can also use dark chocolate chip or milk chocolate chips. You can also use high quality chocolate bars to melt in the microwave.
- Coconut – This recipe is best if used unsweetened coconut.
- Freezing the Mounds Bars – After forming the coconut mixture into logs, allow them to properly freeze. If you rush this step, it will be difficult to dip into the chocolate.
- Remove Excess Chocolate – After dipping the coconut mounds into chocolate, remove excessive chocolate before placing on the baking sheet.
- Baking Sheet – For easy cleanup make sure to line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Almond Joy – These homemade mounds would be delicious with a almond placed on the coconut mixture before dipping into chocolate.
How to Store Homemade Mounds:
Place the mounds bars inside an airtight container. They can be stored at room temperature up to 4 to 5 days.
Can I Double the Recipe?
Yes, if you are making this recipe for the holidays or to stock your freezer, you can easily double this recipe. Keep the Homemade Mounds stocked in the freezer for a delicious chocolate treat.
How to Freeze:
The homemade mounds can be kept in the freezer in a freezer safe container. We like to enjoy the homemade mounds cold. After removing the mounds from the freezer, place in the fridge or counter, to allow them to thaw for a few minutes.
Print this Homemade Mounds Bar Recipe:
Homemade mounds bar
- 3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 15 ounces semi sweet or dark chocolate
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine coconut and sweetened condensed milk.
- With clean and wet hands, shape the coconut mixture into 12 logs, placing each on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Freeze for about 20-30 minutes.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave the the chocolate on high for 30 second. Stir well. Then microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring in between, until completely melted.
- Use forks to dip each of the coconut bars into the chocolate, then transfer back to the parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Allow the chocolate on the bars to set.
- Because the bars were chilled in the freezer, the chocolate should set quickly.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Chocolate Desserts:
- Hot Chocolate Bomb
- Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Balls Recipe
- Amazing Chocolate Brownie Cookies Recipe
- Easter Chocolate Bark
- The Best Chocolate Fudge Recipe
- One Bowl Brownies