Peanut Butter Balls with Rice Krispies is a delicious twist on a classic treat. The crispy rice cereal combines with the creamy peanut butter for a fabulous dessert.
Peanut Butter Balls with Rice Krispies recipe
If your family loves peanut butter balls and rice krispie treats, you have to try this new recipe. It is the perfect combination of chocolate, peanut butter, rice krispies cereal and more.
We love to make traditional peanut butter balls and this recipe is a great twist. It is creamy and crunchy all at the same time. I think you are going to love it as much as we do.
The recipe calls for only a few simple ingredients.
How To Melt Chocolate For Peanut Butter Balls?
We use the microwave to melt chocolate. You do not need a double boiler or anything fancy.
Simply put the chocolate morsels in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time and stir.
Make sure to microwave in intervals or you risk burning the chocolate.
- Creamy Peanut Butter
- Butter, softened
- Vanilla Extract
- Powdered Sugar
- Rice Krispies Cereal, crushed
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
How to make Peanut Butter Balls with Rice Krispies:
- Line the baking sheet. I like to use wax paper to cover the pan. This makes clean up much easier.
- Get out a large bowl and cream together the ingredients. Mix together the peanut butter, butter, vanilla extract and powdered sugar together.
- Add the cereal to the mixture. Carefully stir in the crushed Rice Krispies Cereal.
- Form into balls. Shape into bite size balls.
- Put the peanut butter balls on the lined cookie sheet. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate chips. Put the chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 30 second intervals. Make sure to stir between each interval until the chocolate is fully melted.
- Coat in chocolate. Dip each peanut butter ball once chilled into the melted chocolate. Use a fork to lift the ball out of the chocolate and then put them back on the baking sheet.
- Refrigerate. After you have coated all of the peanut butter balls, place the cookie sheet in the fridge for 15 to 30 minutes. This will help to completely harden the chocolate coating.
Jump to recipe below for complete instructions.
How to store Peanut Butter Balls:
Place the peanut butter balls inside an airtight container. I like to separate the layers of candy with parchment paper so they do not stick together.
Place in the fridge up to 3 weeks. If your family enjoys them as much as we do, they won’t last that long though.
Can you freeze peanut butter balls?
Yes, you can freeze this recipe. In fact, it freezes really well and we do this often for holidays and special occasions.
Just make sure to place the candy inside an airtight container. Also, place layers of parchment paper in between the peanut butter balls.
This will make it easy to grab just a couple and they won’t stick together.
How long can you freeze peanut butter balls?
They can be frozen up to 2 to 3 months. We make these every year for the holidays and also for birthdays.
It saves me a ton of time since they can be made up to 3 months in advance. You can whip up a batch when you have time and enjoy them later.
They taste just as delicious frozen as they do freshly made.
Why are my peanut butter balls sticky?
If the peanut butter balls are too sticky, they need more powdered sugar. Gradually add more to the mixture until it is no longer sticky.
- Peanut Butter. We used creamy peanut butter but you can also use crunchy peanut butter in this candy recipe.
- Chocolate. We used semi sweet morsels but you can use milk chocolate or dark chocolate, You can even try white chocolate.
- Sprinkles. If you are making these for a birthday party or holiday, feel free to top the balls with sprinkles. You can easily coordinate holidays and theme colors.
- Drizzle chocolate on top. This is optional but looks really pretty. I like to drizzle extra chocolate on top or use something different such as white chocolate. It makes the peanut butter balls look so fancy.
- Rice Krispies. You can use store brand or any brand of rice crispies you prefer.
- Room temperature ingredients. This recipe will be easier to mix if you use room temperature butter.
- Stir the chocolate in intervals. Make sure to melt the chocolate in 30 second intervals so you do not burn it.
- Cookie Scoop. It is easier to form the balls if you use a cookie scoop. Not only is this quick but each one will be uniform.
- Slightly crush the cereal. The cereal needs to be slightly crushed prior to mixing with the other ingredients.
Give this candy recipe a try.
It is such a quick and easy treat to make. You don’t need a ton of ingredients or special supplies. It is so simple but turns out fabulous.
They are rich and creamy. Each bite is the perfect combination of peanut butter and chocolate. The rice krispies add the perfect amount of crunch for an all star recipe.
Make these today for a dessert everyone will most certainly enjoy. You might want to make extra so you will have some for the freezer!
Print the recipe card for Rice Krispy Peanut Butter Balls:
Peanut Butter Balls with Rice Krispies
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper and set aside.
- Cream together the peanut butter, butter, vanilla extract and powdered sugar together in a large bowl.
- Then stir in the crushed Rice Krispies Cereal.
- Then shape the mixture into small balls (bite size). Place the peanut butter balls on the prepared cookie sheet with waxed paper and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Place the chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 30 second intervals, stir between each interval until the chocolate is fully melted.
- Dip each of the chilled peanut butter balls into the melted chocolate. Lift the ball out of the chocolate with a fork and then transfer them back to the baking sheet.
- Once all of your peanut butter balls are coated, put the cookie sheet in the fridge for 15-30 minutes. This will ensure the chocolate coating is completely hardened.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Chocolate peanut butter desserts:
- 2 ingredient chocolate peanut butter fudge
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups Recipe
- 4 Ingredient Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls