These Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups recipe are a must try for peanut butter fans. Rich chocolate and creamy peanut butter make a decadent treat everyone will enjoy.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups Recipe:
Oh my goodness this easy recipe is just the best. Each bite of Chocolate Peanut Butter cups literally melts in your mouth. You are going to love how amazing this is and I promise it is really simple too.
Once you try homemade peanut butter cups, you may not be able to go back to store bought. They are really delicious. They ingredients are simple and probably already have the majority on hand.
You also might want to try this recipe for Peanut Butter Lasagna. It’s another favorite around here. Chocolate and Peanut Butter is my favorite combination. The bite size candy is hard to resist.
Easy Holiday Candy:
These are such a hit that we make them often. We also make them to give to friends and family during the holidays.
Everyone looks forward to these delicious peanut butter cups. You can’t go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter, it is my favorite candy combination.
These would be the perfect treat to add to a cookie tray or to take to your next cookie exchange party.
The entire recipe is so easy and the results are yummy. The entire family will go crazy over this recipe.
Ingredients for Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups:
- Creamy Peanut Butter, divided
- Unsalted Butter, softened
- Powdered Sugar
- Chocolate Chips, Semi-Sweet or Milk
- Milk Chocolate Candy Bars, Coarsely Chopped
How to Make Peanut Butter Cups:
- Step 1 – First, go ahead and add cupcake liners to the muffin tin and set aside.
- Step 2 – Next, in a medium bowl, combine ½ cup peanut butter, butter, powdered sugar and salt until smooth.
- Step 3 – In a microwave safe bowl, add chocolate chips, chocolate bars and remaining peanut butter.
- Step 4 – Heat for 1 minute, then stir. Continue heating for 10-20 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating and stopping just before chocolate is completely melted. You can also melt chocolate in a double boiler.
- Step 5 – Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Using a cookie dough scoop, add chocolate into paper liners.
- Step 6 – Top each with about 1 teaspoon of peanut butter mixture. Add remaining chocolate on top.
- Step 7 – Place in refrigerator to set for at least 30 minutes. Store in airtight container in refrigerator until ready to serve.
How to Store:
These chocolate peanut butter cups are best to keep in the refrigerator in a air-tight container. They are the perfect chocolate treat any time of the year. If stored properly they will last up to two weeks.
They do get melty pretty fast if set out at room temperature too long. I keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve. If not serving, place in the refrigerator.
Can you Freeze Homemade Peanut Butter Cups:
Yes, Homemade Peanut Butter Cups can be frozen. Once the peanut butter cups have set, they are ready to be frozen. Store in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
This chocolate candy is great straight from the freezer.
How Long will they Last:
These Homemade Peanut Butter cups will last up to two weeks. This the perfect candy to make ahead of time and store in the refrigerator. If I am planning on making these for the holidays, I like to go ahead make this candy.
I do a lot of holiday baking and this is one of my favorite candy to make.
Tips for Making Peanut Butter Cups:
- Peanut Butter Layer – Peanut Butter mixture can be rolled into balls then flattened before adding on top of chocolate, or add with spoon. Just do what you prefer.
- Melting Chocolate – When melting the chocolate, make sure to heat in 30 second intervals then stir. This will help it melt slower and not burn the chocolate. If you prefer you can add some coconut oil to melt the chocolate.
- Cookie Scoop – We like to use a cookie scoop to scoop the chocolate into the prepared muffin tin. This helps to make sure that the cups are even.
- Keep Cold – Make sure to store the peanut butter cups in the refrigerator. They will begin to melt if stored at room temperature for to long.
- Change the Chocolate – Dark chocolate lovers will love this variety. Simply substitute dark chocolate chips in the recipe and it is so good. Milk Chocolate or Semi-Sweet Chocolate is also a good option.
- White Chocolate – We have even used white chocolate chips for a change.
- Drizzle Chocolate – They are also really pretty if you drizzle some white chocolate on top of the milk chocolate. You can also drizzle the milk chocolate on the white.
- Powdered Sugar – You can also sprinkle a little powdered sugar on top of the chocolate.
- Peanut Butter – Try making homemade peanut butter or use natural peanut butter.
- Crunchy Peanut Butter – For a crunchy texture, use crunchy peanut butter or mix in some chopped up pretzels.
- Almond Butter – If you can’t use peanut butter, almond butter or cashew butter works great also. Nutella is also a good option to substitute for peanut butter.
- Perfect for Dessert Trays – I make an assortment of milk chocolate, dark chocolate and white chocolate. They look so pretty on a dessert tray for parties. Everyone always wants the recipe and they just can’t believe how easy it is.
- Mini Muffins – Make the chocolate peanut butter cups in mini muffin pans.
- Dried Fruit – For a fruity flavor mix in some dried fruit or shredded coconut.
Print this Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups recipe below:
Peanut Butter Cups
- Add cupcake liners to muffin tin and set aside
- In a medium bowl, combine ½ cup peanut butter, butter, powdered sugar and salt until smooth
- In a microwave safe bowl, add chocolate chips, chocolate bars and remaining peanut butter
- Heat for 1 minute, then stir. Continue heating for 10-20 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating and stopping just before chocolate is completely melted.
- Stir until chocolate is completely melted
- Using a cookie dough scoop, add chocolate into paper liners
- Top each with about 1 teaspoon of peanut butter mixture ** see notes
- Add remaining chocolate on top
- Place in refrigerator to set
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator until ready to serve
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe