Chocolate Cherry Cake Recipe only calls for 4 simple ingredients making it super easy to enjoy dessert anytime a craving hits. Sometimes we want dessert but need something simple and this decadent chocolate cake does not disappoint.
Chocolate Cherry Cake Recipe:
This is one of those desserts that taste so moist and delicious that you won’t believe how easy it is. It’s hard to believe that just 4 ingredients can turn into something so fabulous. This chocolate cherry cake is amazing and we just can’t get enough of it.
If you enjoyed our Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake Recipe, you will also love this tasty cake recipe. It is a crowd pleaser for sure. This cherry chocolate cake recipe full of chocolate flavor simple to make.
Sometimes we need a dessert to take somewhere or maybe company is company at the last minute. This cake is something you can whip up in minutes and everyone can enjoy a fabulous dessert without any work.
This is seriously so easy and anyone can make this! Anyone!
Ingredients for Chocolate Cherry Cake:
- Devils Food Cake Mix
- Cherry Pie Filling
- Almond Extract – You can also use vanilla extract.
How to Make Chocolate Cherry Cake:
- Step 1 – Add cake mix to bowl – Place all cake mix in a large mixing bowl.
- Step 2 – Add remaining ingredients – Add in the remaining ingredients to the bowl.
- Step 3 – Combine ingredients – Mix the ingredients in a bowl and beat for 1-2 minutes. If you want chunkier cherries, mix by hand.
- Step 4 – Pour batter – Pour batter into 9×13 sprayed pan.
- Step 5 – Bake Cake – Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. When finished baking cool completely on a wire rack.
- Step 6 – Frost cake – Frost with your favorite frosting, whipped cream, or serve with your favorite ice cream.
How to Serve Chocolate Cherry Cake:
- Serve with Ice Cream – We love to serve this cake warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Drizzle with chocolate ganache with a cherry on top. There is just something about that cold ice cream seeping into the hot cake and mixing with the cherry pie filling. It is amazing and so decadent.
- Frosting – Frost the cake with your favorite frosting. You can make a cream cheese frosting, buttercream frosting or you can use a store bought frosting.
- Whipped Cream – Whip cream is also another tasty option. I have even used both ice cream and whipped cream. We actually have a super easy recipe for homemade whipped cream that is so delicious on this chocolate cherry cake. It is a must try.
- Powdered Sugar – Dust the top of the chocolate with powdered sugar before serving.
Cherry Chocolate Cake Tips:
- Cake Mix – We used a box cake mix to make this recipe. You can easily make your cake from scratch. Substitute the Devils Food Cake Mix for a Chocolate Cake Mix.
- Cupcakes – For individual servings, you can make this recipe as a cupcake dessert. Scoop the cake batter and place in muffin cups and place in muffin tins.
- Cherry Pie Filling – Make sure to use Cherry Pie Filling and not canned cherries. This mixture will not be thick enough if you use canned cherries.
- Baking Pan – We love to take this cake when going to a potluck so I prefer to use a disposable pan. Make sure to spray the cake pan with a cooking spray so the cake doesn’t stick to the pan.
Topping ideas for Cherry Chocolate Cake:
- Top each slice with a cherry on top the whipped cream or ice cream.
- Try different ice cream flavors. Chocolate fans might like chocolate for double the chocolate flavor. Cherry ice cream would also be tasty.
- Drizzle Caramel sauce or hot fudge sauce on top.
- Top with the chocolate cake with nuts. We recommend Pecans or walnuts are great.
- Powdered sugar and chocolate fudge are also great topping ideas.
- Change the Cake – Try yellow cake mix instead of devil’s food. There are lots of boxed cake mix options. White Cake mix is another good substitute.
- Change the Pie Filling – Use other pie fillings such as apple pie filling, blackberry, strawberry, blueberry and more.
- Chocolate Chips – Add chocolate chips to the cake mix for more of a rich and decadent flavor.
- Top with Cherries – Use maraschino cherries in the baking mix or even on top.
- Change the Pan – Instead of a 9×13 pan, use a Bundt pan or jelly roll pan for something different.
The ideas are endless for dump cake recipes. They are so easy and delicious and a ton of fun to try new varieties.
How to Store Leftovers:
Store leftovers covered in an air tight container. Make sure the cake is at room temperature before covering. This cake will stay fresh for up to 3 days.
Because this cake is best served warm, we like to reheat in the oven at 250 degrees for about 10 minutes. If you have a smaller serving, you can easily reheat in the microwave.
How to Freeze:
This Chocolate Cherry Cake be placed in the freezer. We recommend slicing the cake in individual slices and wrap them in plastic wrap and foil. Place in a zip lock freezer bag so you can pull individual slices.
This Chocolate Cherry Cake can be stored for up to 3 months. Thaw the cake in the refrigerator overnight when you are ready to enjoy another piece.
Print Chocolate Cherry Cake Recipe below:
Chocolate cherry cake
- 1 Devils Food Cake Mix
- 21 oz. cherry pie filling
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and beat for 1-2 minutes. If you want chunkier cherries, mix by hand.
- Pour batter into 9×13 sprayed pan.
- Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes.
- Frost with your favorite frosting, whipped cream, or serve with your favorite ice cream!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Chocolate Cake Recipes:
- Texas Sheet Cake Recipe
- How to Make a Mug Cake from Scratch
- Easy Chocolate Crock Pot Lava Cake Recipe
- Easy S’Mores Cake Recipe