Learn how to make gorgeous Rainbow Sugar Cookies that are easy enough for the kids to help with. Each cookie is bursting with color and equally tasty.
Rainbow Cookies Recipe:
Rainbow treats are always such a fun idea. Whether you just want to make someone’s day or maybe you are doing a rainbow theme party. This recipe does not disappoint. They are so delicious and look amazing.
The great thing about this recipe is your start with a cookie mix. No one will ever guess because they look stunning and really pretty. A few simple ingredients make these Rainbow Cookies so easy to make.
If you are looking for a fun cookie to make this summer, this one is my go-to. The bright candy colors and fun shape make this a fun and festive cookie.
Minimal supplies are needed to make these sugar cookies.
- You will need a rainbow cookie cutter to make these. We love the Wilton style here.
- Stand mixer or a hand-held mixer – One of these will be handy to mix the cookie dough.
- Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix (or use our homemade sugar cookie recipe)
- Butter – softened
- Vanilla Frosting
- Miniature M&M’s
- White Nonpareil Sprinkles
- Wilton Rainbow Cookie Cutter – Grab one here.
How to Make Rainbow Cookies:
- Step 1 – Heat Oven – First, preheat your oven. Now that you have that out of the way, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Step 2 – Mix Sugar Cookie Mix – Second, you need a large mixing bowl. Combine the cookie mix with the butter and eggs. Mix everything together really well.
- Step 3 – Add water if needed – Sometimes the dough might be a little too dry. If you find this happens to your dough, you can add a teaspoon of water until it is no longer dry. Keep adding a teaspoon at a time until it is the right consistency.
- Step 4 – Add flour if needed – If you have the opposite problem and your dough is too sticky. Add flour to the mixture a few tablespoons a time.
- Step 5 – Prepare surface – Next, sprinkle flour on the counter and place dough on it. Also, make sure your rolling pin is floured and start rolling.
- Step 6 – Cut Cookies – Now this is the part the kids love. Use the rainbow cookie cutter to cut out the cookies. Carefully transfer them to the baking pan.
- Step 7 – Bake Cookies – Bake until golden brown. This normally takes about 10-12 minutes. It does not take long.
- Step 8 – Cool Cookies – Let the cookies cool completely before icing on wire racks. It will take at least 30 minutes.
- Step 9 – Decorate Cookies – Finally, it is time to decorate. You will need a decorating bag. We love to use Wilton throw away bags because you can toss when finished.
- Step 10 – Prepare Frosting – Fill the bag with frosting and start frosting your cookies. You only want to do the rainbow part of the cookie and not the clouds.
- Step 11 – Add M&M Candy – Use the mini M&M’s candy to make the rainbow on top of the icing. Use blue, green, yellow orange red or you can make your own pattern.
- Step 12 – Make Clouds – Now, it is time to work on the clouds. Put just enough frosting on the cloud portion to make them look fluffy. Top each cloud with the white sprinkles.
Sugar Cookie Rainbow Recipe Tips:
- Sugar Cookie Dough – We used a sugar cookie mix because of how easy it is to make. If the dough is to sticky, add more flour. If it is to dry add a teaspoon of water.
- Rolling out Dough – When preparing the dough to cut out the rainbow shapes, make sure to flour the surface. Flour the rolling pin to prevent the dough from sticking to it.
- Cutting the Cookies – Cut the cookies with a cookie cutter cutting board. Gently move to baking sheet.
- Mixing Ingredients – We recommend combining the sugar cookie with a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. You can also mix with a hand mixer in a large bowl.
- Baking Sheet – Make sure to line the baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.
- Cool Cookies – Before decorating the cookies, make sure they at room temperature.
- Melted Chocolate – These cookies can be decorated in many different ways. You can melt chocolate or candy melts to create different designs.
- Food Coloring – Feel free to change the color of the frosting and create a green layer. Dye the frosting with green food coloring or blue food coloring to change the color.
- Homemade Frosting – We used store bought frosting but you can make homemade frosting. Combine the ingredients with vanilla extract and mix until stiff peaks form.
- Rainbow Cake – Instead of cookies make a rainbow cake. Add the cake layer and decorate the top of the cake with rainbows.
- Change the Candy – We used M&M’s to decorate the top of the candy. But you can use any type of candy.
- Cookie Cutter – If you are unable to find a rainbow cookie cutter, just use a bottom of a glass. You can still create a beautiful rainbow on top of a round cookie.
How to Store Leftovers:
Store the leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Make sure the frosting has completely set before placing the cooking inside the container.
Separate the layers of cookies with parchment paper so they do not stick.
Can You Freeze Rainbow Sugar Cookies?
Yes, you can freeze the cookies decorated or just the sugar cookie dough.
- If freezing the cookies decorated, they should be completely set before freezing. They will last up to 3 months if stored properly inside a freezer container.
- If you want to freeze the cookie dough, we recommend cutting the cookies before storing.
- When ready to use, allow to thaw in the fridge the night before. Then decorate and bake according to the recipe card.
Print recipe for Easy Rainbow Sugar Cookies:
Rainbow sugar cookies
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar cookie mix, butter, and egg, and mix well.
- If dough is dry, add a teaspoon of water at a time until no longer dry. If dough is too sticky, add a few tablespoons of flour until no longer sticky.
- Roll the dough out onto a floured surface with a floured rolling pin.
- Cut out the rainbow shapes with the rainbow cookie cutter and transfer them to the baking pan.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until Golden brown in color.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Fill a decorating bag with frosting and cut a 1/3” tip off the end.
- Frost the rainbow part of the cookie, leaving the clouds for now.
- Start placing the miniature M&M’s onto the rainbow along the edges like pictured, and then place the M&M’s in a rainbow shape, following the color pattern.
- Dab frosting onto the clouds to make them look fluffy.
- Top the clouds off with the white sprinkles and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Cookie Recipes:
- Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookie Recipe
- Cake Mix Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- Lemon Cool Whip Cookies
- Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies Recipe