One you make Ginger Molasses Cookies Recipe, everyone will be hooked. Ginger molasses cookies are so delicious with the perfect blend of spices.
If you love old fashioned cookie recipes, you have to try making molasses cookies. This classic recipe is perfect and very simple too. Each bite has the perfect blend of cinnamon and spices and the molasses makes it just amazing.
The cookies have a distinct flavor from the molasses and it also gives it a gorgeous color. They are perfect for Fall and the holiday season. It is something we look forward to year after year.
Table of Contents
What Makes these Ginger Cookies Different?
You will love these ginger cookies because of the texture. They are soft, chewy and adding the molasses makes them have a dark brown color.
This light and fluffy cookie will be your go-to cookie this Christmas for all your cookie exchange gatherings.
- All Purpose Flour
- Ground Ginger
- Baking Soda
- Ground Cinnamon
- Ground cloves
- Unsalted Butter
- Dark Brown Sugar
- Granulated Sugar
- Dark Molasses
- Large Eggs
Scroll to the bottom of the post for the recipe card to see the full recipe and ingredients.
- Increase Ginger – Add in more ginger if you like a stronger flavor.
- Add a Glaze – Top the cookies with a glaze. You can make an easy one with powdered sugar and milk until it is the desired consistency.
- Frosting – Make a cream cheese frosting. It is so easy to make and amazing on these cookies. Cream cheese frosting is the best.
- Cookie Sandwich – Put frosting in between two of these cookies and make a cookie sandwich. This is a favorite around here.
- Dip in Chocolate – These cookies are delicious dipped in chocolate and rolled in sprinkles. This makes them a fun and festive cookie for the holidays.
Step by Step Instructions:
Step 1 – In large bowl and combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
Step 2 – In another large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar with a stand mixer or a hand mixer until creamy.
Step 3 – Next, add in the molasses and beat until mixture is combined.
Step 4 – Then add in the egg to the batter. Beat until everything is well combined making sure to scrape down the sides.
Step 5 – Now that you have everything mixed together. Turn the mixer to low speed and slowly add in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Then chill dough in the fridge.
Step 6 – After the cookies have chilled, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Start scooping the dough into cookies. I like to use a cookie scoop but that is optional.
Step 7 – Place cookie dough in sugar for rolling and place on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Make sure to space them about 2 to 3 inches apart. Then they are ready to bake.
Step 8 – Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes until the cookies begin to crack slightly. Take the cookies out of the oven and let them cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes. Then transfer to wire racks to cool.
Which Molasses Do I Use?
The types of molasses that you use will vary with intensities of the flavor. You can choose from light molasses to blackstrap molasses.
For this recipe you want to choose a dark molasses to get the dark colored cookies.
- Cookie Scoop – We recommend using a cookie scoop to make the cookie dough balls. It makes it go much faster though and ensures all the cookies are the same size.
- Combining Ingredients – Combine the ingredients with the paddle attachment with your stand mixer. This helps to mix the ingredients evenly. Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Room Temperature – When we make these chewy molasses cookies, we recommend starting with room temperature ingredients. This helps for the batter to be smooth and creamy.
Frequently Asked Questions:
The cookies can be stored inside an air tight container for up to 1 week.
This recipe is also freezer friendly. You can freeze these cookies for up to 3 months. Around the holidays, I like to make a double batch and freeze them. It saves time later for future parties and such. Feel free to also freeze the cookie dough.
More Easy Cookie Recipes:
We love hearing from you. Make sure to leave us a comment when you make these chewy ginger molasses cookies
Ginger Molasses Cookies
- In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
- Then in a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars with a stand up mixer or a hand held mixer until creamy. Then add in the molasses and beat until combined. Then add in egg and beat until it’s combined.
- Then on a low speed, slowly add in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined.
- The dough will be sticky. Cover and chill the dough for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Scoop out the cookie dough into balls using either a cookie scoop or a Tablespoon.
- Roll the cookie dough in the ⅓ cup sugar and place them on a baking sheets 2-3” apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until the cookies begin to crack slightly (they will crack more while cooling).
- Remove the cookies from the oven, let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for approximately 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe