Harvest Puppy Chow Recipe is packed with chocolate chips, peanut butter and more. Enjoy classic Puppy Chow with all the flavors of Fall that include a tasty Autumn Mix of candy.
Harvest Puppy Chow Recipe
Whether you call it Puppy Chow or Muddy Buddies, this delicious blend of ingredients is a tasty treat. We enjoy it year round but wanted to make it extra special for Fall.
Everything you love about the traditional flavor is packed in this recipe. There is lots of chex mix cereal coated with peanut butter, powdered sugar and more.
However, we have added some extra special ingredients for Fall. This would also be great for Halloween.
The colors of Reese’s Pieces make the perfect mix in for this Autumn treat. Plus, the candy corn and pumpkins make it look even more festive.
Is Puppy Chow the same as Muddy Buddies?
Yes, both of these refer to the same great recipe. Puppy Chow is the original name for this recipe that started in the Midwest.
Later, Chex Cereal realized how much everyone loved the idea. They started putting the recipe on the back of the boxes of cereal. They called the recipe Muddy Buddies.
Since that time, this treat has commonly been referred to as either Puppy Chow or Muddy Buddies.
- Chocolate Chips
- Peanut Butter
- Vanilla Extract
- Rice Chex Cereal
- Powdered Sugar
- Autumn Mix Candy (candy corn and candy pumpkins)
- Pretzel Twists
- Reese’s Pieces
How to make Harvest puppy Chow:
- Microwave the chocolate and peanut butter. In a microwave safe bowl, combine the chocolate, peanut butter, butter and vanilla extract.
- Melt in intervals. Place in the microwave and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir the mixture. Stir and microwave again for 30 seconds. Continue doing this until the chocolate is melted through and stir to thoroughly combine it with the peanut butter.
- Coat the cereal. Place the gluten free rice or corn Chex cereal into a large bowl. Pour the melted chocolate combination over the Chex cereal.
- Fold the cereal to combine. Use a spatula to fold the cereal to coat it completely in the chocolate.
- Place powdered sugar in a bag. Then pour the powdered sugar into a gallon ziplock bag.
- Add the cereal to the bag. Pour the chocolate covered Chex cereal in the ziplock bag.
- Shake the cereal and mix. Seal the bag and shake to coat the Chex in the powdered sugar mixture.
- Let the mixture cool. Spread the cereal on a baking sheet. Allow it to cool completely.
- Add the candy. Once cool, mix in the Autumn mix candy, Reese’s pieces and pretzel twists.
Jump to recipe below for complete instructions.
Does puppy chow need to be refrigerated?
No, this recipe can be stored at room temperature up to a week. Just make sure to store in an airtight container or bag so it stays fresh.
Can I make Puppy Chow in advance?
Puppy Chow is an easy recipe to make in advance. We do this frequently for parties and it really helps with preparation.
This recipe can easily be made up to 5 days in advance. Just make sure to keep it stored inside an airtight container.
Substitutions and Additions
- Chex Cereal. We used Rice Chex but you can substitute Corn Chex, Crispix cereal, Chocolate Chex or Cinnamon Chex.
- Seasonal. Simply change out the candy to make these work for other seasons. It is a great treat to enjoy all year long.
- Assorted Candy. Instead of Reese’s Pieces, you can try using M&M’s, sprinkles, chopped cookies or anything small you like.
- Gluten Free. If you need to make this snack mix without gluten, make sure the pretzels are gluten free. Also, do not use Wheat Chex cereal.
Fall Puppy chow tips
- Double the recipe. This treat is super easy to double if you plan to host a crowd or hand this out to friends. Just make sure you have a really large bowl.
- Peanut Butter. It is best to skip the all natural peanut butter in this recipe. The processed variety works best. We prefer Peter Pan or Jiff.
- Candy. If you are unable to locate the Autumn Mix, you can just buy the candy corn and pumpkins separately.
- Allow to cool. Ensure the cereal mix has properly cooled before storing in containers.
Print this Harvest Puppy Chow recipe below:
Harvest Puppy Chow
- In a microwave safe bowl combine chocolate, peanut butter, butter and vanilla extract.
- Place in the microwave and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir and microwave again for 30 seconds. Continue doing this until the chocolate is melted through and stir to thoroughly combine it with the peanut butter.
- Place the Chex cereal in a larger bowl.
- Pour the melted chocolate combination over the Chex cereal.
- Use a spatula to fold the cereal to coat it completely in the chocolate.
- Then pour the powdered sugar into a gallon ziplock bag.
- Pour the chocolate covered Chex cereal in the ziplock bag.
- Seal the bag and shake to coat the Chex in the powdered sugar mixture.
- Allow to cool completely on a bake sheet.
- Mix in the Autumn mix candy, Reese’s pieces and pretzel twists.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More easy puppy chow recipes:
- Halloween Puppy Chow Recipe
- Funfetti puppy chow recipe
- Brownie Puppy Chow Recipe
- Puppy Chow Recipe
- St. Patrick’s Day Puppy Chow Recipe