The kids will go crazy over this Halloween Puppy Chow Recipe and it is so simple to make and delicious. The entire recipe looks so festive with candy corn, candy eyes and more.
This Halloween Chex mix muddy Buddies is really simple and the kids can help make it. Ever since my kids were little we have been making puppy chow year round and it never disappoints.
Table of Contents
Do you call this Treat Puppy Chow or Muddy Buddies?
This recipe goes by different names. We call it puppy chow but some call them muddy buddies. What do you call it?
Regardless of names, this is one delicious treat and so easy to make. I don’t know if it is regional or perhaps what you grew up calling it, but I have heard it called both puppy chow and muddy buddies recipe.
- Chocolate Chips
- White Chocolate Chips
- Peanut Butter, divided
- Butter, divided
- Vanilla, divided
- Chex Cereal, divided
- Powdered Sugar, divided
- Candy Corn
- Candy Eyeballs
See the full recipe, ingredients and notes in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Sprinkles – Add sprinkles to this favorite Halloween muddy buddies recipe. This adds an extra festive touch and looks great.
- Change the Colors – You can use different colors for other holidays. We also make Christmas Puppy Chow Recipe and Valentine’s Day Puppy Chow Recipe
- Add in Nuts – Another fun idea to add is nuts. This get way to add in some additional crunch.
- Use Different Chocolate –You can use semi sweet chocolate chips, dark chocolate or milk chocolate for different flavors.
- Use different candy – Add Halloween M&M candies or Reese’s Pieces to the recipe. Yum! You can really use any leftover Halloween candy that you have.
- Plain Puppy Chow – Try puppy chow without powdered sugar
You can easily adapt this recipe for what you have on hand. This sweet treat is so delicious and perfect for your Halloween party.
Step by Step Halloween Muddy Buddies:
- Step 1 – Combine Ingredients – In a microwave safe bowl combine the peanut butter and chocolate chips, and butter. Then stir in vanilla.
- Step 2 – Melt in Microwave – Place in the microwave and cook for 30 seconds.
- Step 3 – Continue cooking until melted – Stir and microwave again for 30 seconds. Continue doing this until the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter is melted through and all the ingredients are well combined.
- Step 4 – Add Cereal to bowl – Place the half of the chex cereal in a large bowl.
- Step 5 – Coat the Cereal – Pour the melted chocolate mixture over the cereal.
- Step 6 – Gently stir the ingredients together – Use a spatula to fold the cereal to coat it completely in the chocolate.
- Step 7 – Add powdered sugar to bag – Pour 1 cup of the powdered sugar into a gallon ziplock bag.
- Step 8 – Add cereal mixture to bag – Pour the chocolate covered chex in the ziplock bag.
- Step 9 – Seal and Shake – Seal the bag and shake to coat the chex in the powdered sugar.
- Step 10 – Repeat using white chocolate chips – Follow the same steps 1-9 with using the white chocolate chips.
- Step 11 – Place on baking sheet – Combine both of the puppy chow mixtures onto a baking sheet.
- Step 12 – Add Candy – Sprinkle in the candy corn and the candy eyes. Gently stir to combine these ingredients.
- Step 14 – Store, Serve and Enjoy – Allow to cool and serve in a big bowl. Store In an air tight container or gallon size ziploc bag.
- Melting Chocolate – When melting chocolate, watch closely so it doesn’t burn. You want to melt in 30 second intervals.
- Coat Cereal – Coat cereal completely for the best flavor.
Yes, we love doubling the recipe when we make it so we can freeze it. Store in an freezer container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. When you are ready to serve, take out of the freezer and it is good cold or at room temperature.
Store in an airtight container for up to a week and enjoy. Ours never lasts that long though because we eat it quickly. We really love it.
The Chex Mix cereal that we used for this recipe is rice but you can use corn as well. I usually stick with these two Chex Mix cereal so that it doesn’t change the flavoring of the puppy chow.
More Halloween Treats:
- Halloween Spider Cookies Recipe
- Fast and Easy Halloween Treats
- Jack-O-Lantern Cupcakes
- Monster Cupcakes
- Halloween Pretzels – Monster Eyeballs
If you try Halloween Puppy, make sure to leave a comment. We love hearing from you!
Halloween puppy chow recipe
- In a microwave safe bowl – combine the chocolate chips, ¼ cup peanut, ⅛ cup butter and ½ tsp vanilla.
- Place in the microwave and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir and microwave again for 30 seconds. Continue doing this until he chocolate is melted through and all the ingredients are well combined.
- Place the half of the chex cereal in a larger bowl.
- Pour the melted chocolate combination over the chex cereal
- Use a spatula to fold the cereal to coat it completely in the chocolate.
- Pour 1 cup of the powdered sugar into a gallon ziplock bag.
- Pour the chocolate covered chex in the ziplock bag.
- Seal the bag and shake to coat the chex in the powdered sugar.
- Follow the same steps 1-9 with using the white chocolate chips.
- Combine both of the puppy chow mixtures onto a baking sheet. Sprinkle in the candy corn and the candy eyes. Gently stir to combine these ingredients.
- Allow to cool and serve! Store In an air tight container.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe