Puppy Chow Recipe is so simple to make but the best treat. Our family loves to snack on these decadent little bites of cereal, peanut butter, chocolate and more. Some people call this recipe puppy chow and some call it muddy buddies. Whatever you prefer to call it, it is amazing.
Puppy Chow Recipe
You are going to love this Puppy Chow Recipe for the perfect movie snack, party food, game day and more. It is the easiest treat to make when you want something sweet and oh so tasty!
As you can see, we look for any excuse to make this delicious recipe. It is SO good and our kids go crazy over it.
I am always amazed that something so simple as chex cereal can turn into something so fabulous. Once it is coated with so much goodness and mixed with the candy and more, it is out of this world!
Do you call it puppy chow or muddy buddies?
This recipe goes by different names. We call it puppy chow but some call them muddy buddies. What do you call it?
Regardless of names, this is one delicious treat and so easy to make. I don’t know if it is regional or perhaps what you grew up calling it, but I have heard it called both puppy chow and muddy buddies.
Let’s make muddy buddy recipe!
Ingredients for puppy chow recipe:
- chocolate chips
- peanut butter
- chex cereal
- powdered sugar
How to make puppy chow chex mix recipe:
In a microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate, peanut butter, butter and vanilla.
Next, place in the microwave and cook for 30 seconds.
Stir and microwave again for 30 seconds. Continue doing this until he chocolate is melted through.
Place the chex cereal in a larger bowl.
Pour the melted chocolate combination over the chex cereal.
Use a spatula to fold the cereal to coat it completely in the chocolate. You want the chocolate on each bite!
Pour the powdered sugar into a 2 gallon ziplock bag. If you don’t have a 2 gallon bag, you can use a giant brown paper bag from the grocery store, or divide it into 2 one gallon bags.
Pour the chocolate covered chex in the ziplock bag.
Seal the bag and shake to coat the chex in the powdered sugar.
How to store muddy buddies?
Allow to cool and serve! Store In an air tight container.
It should last about a week when store in an air tight container. If your family is like ours, it won’t last that long though because we love it!
Try these puppy chow recipe variations:
- Make seasonal muddy buddies. Try using different colors for other holidays. So fun!
- Make Christmas Puppy Chow Recipe. – Red and Green m&m’s and candy melts make this treat so festive.
- Try Valentines Day Puppy Chow Recipe.- Pink puppy chow and lots of pink and red candy make this so pretty.
- Another fun idea to add is nuts.
- Sprinkles are also fun to add.
- Try different colors or try plain.
- Add chocolate chips peanut butter.
- Try puppy chow without powdered sugar
Puppy chow chex mix recipe is so versatile and great to enjoy all year!
As you can see with so many great ideas, you can enjoy this all year for any occasion. Not that you need a special occasion to make this. 🙂
We make it for movie night or because it is Tuesday. 🙂 Once you try this, you will see why you can’t eat just one bite. It is so delicious.
You can even make this for birthday parties and make it to match the party colors. So fun! Make it for game day and do it in team colors.
The ideas are truly endless for this recipe. You can change the colors easily to match any holiday. Christmas puppy chow chex mix can easily be adapted or any day of the year.
The red and green look so festive at Christmas but you can easily change this and use Valentine’s m&m’s in February! Try pastels for Easter and Halloween m&m’s and so many more ideas!
You can make puppy chow recipe crispix or puppy chow recipe chex version.
Both of these taste pretty much the same. I tend to use chex cereal more but have used crispix when I spotted a good sale. You know we like a good deal around here.
Just use what you already have or can get the best deal on at the grocery store. They both will work!
Make chex muddy buddies this week.
Don’t wait for a special occasion to make this delicious treat. Surprise the kids with this easy but delicious after school treat or wait and make it with the kids.
It is so fun to make and the kids love to mix it all together in the ziplock bags. This is a great recipe to let the kids help because it all stays so mess free in the bags.
The kids can help combine it all safely in the ziplock bags. This really helps with clean up plus the bag makes it easy to make sure each piece is completely coated.
You will love this recipe and the peanut butter and chocolate can’t be beat.
Print this puppy chow recipe below:
Puppy Chow Recipe is so simple to make but the best treat. Whether you call it puppy chow or muddy buddies, it is amazing and perfect for any occasion.
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 9 cups chex cereal
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- In a microwave safe bowl - combine chocolate, peanut butter, butter and vanilla.
- Place in the microwave and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir and microwave again for 30 seconds. Continue doing this until he chocolate is melted through.
- Place the chex cereal in a larger bowl.
- Pour the melted chocolate combination over the chex cereal
- use a spatula to fold the cereal to coat it completely in the chocolate.
- Pour the powdered sugar into a 2 gallon ziplock bag. If you don't have a 2 gallon bag, you can use a giant brown paper bag from the grocery store, or divide it into 2 one gallon bags.
- Pour the chocolate covered chex in the ziplock bag.
- Seal the bag and shake to coat the chex in the powdered sugar.
- Allow to cool and serve! Store In an air tight container.
We make Valentine’s Day Puppy Chow Recipe every year for a special Valentines treat.
St Patricks Day Puppy Chow is the perfect treat to enjoy with very little work and ton of delicious peanut butter, powdered sugar and more.
Try these other puppy chow recipes:
Try these other easy dessert ideas:
- Homemade Peanut Brittle Recipe
- Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies
- Easy Microwave Fudge Recipe
- Saltine Cracker Toffee
- 3 Ingredient Snicker Apple Salad Recipe
- Quick and Easy Rolo Pretzels
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake Bars
- Quick and Easy Cake Ball Recipe
- Homemade Brownie Recipe
- Oreo Magic Bars Recipe
- Chocolate Covered Rice Krispie Treats
- Butter Cookies Recipe
- Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies
- 4th of July Cake Mix Cookies Recipe
- Cake Mix Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- Red Velvet Cookies Recipe
- Lemon Cool Whip Cookies
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookie Recipe