Hot Chocolate Ice Cream only has 5 ingredients and no ice cream maker needed. It is a decadent milk chocolate mixture and even has marshmallows.
Hot Chocolate Ice Cream
This ice cream recipe is perfect to satisfy your craving for hot chocolate when it’s too hot. This frozen treat is a delicious blend of whipped cream and chocolate plus a few more ingredients.
Why you will love this ice cream recipe:
- No Churn Ice Cream. You do not need an ice cream maker for this recipe.
- Only 5 Ingredients. It is super easy with only a few ingredients needed.
- So much chocolate taste. The flavor is delicious with the best chocolate flavor.
Hot chocolate Ice Cream versus Frozen Hot Chocolate
The flavor is very similar in both. However, Frozen Hot Chocolate that is popular at Serendipity in NYC is a drink. This recipe is ice cream.
They have different textures but similar flavors.
Can I use homemade hot cocoa mix?
Yes, you certainly can substitute homemade hot chocolate mix in this recipe. Feel free to use your favorite recipe. We love this easy homemade Hot Chocolate Mix with cocoa powder.
- heavy whipping cream
- vanilla extract
- hot chocolate mix
- sweetened condensed milk
- mini marshmallows
How to make Frozen Hot Chocolate Ice Cream:
- Step 1. Combine the cream and hot chocolate. In a large mixing bowl, combine the heavy cream, vanilla, and hot chocolate mix. You can use Swiss Miss or your favorite brand. Use an electric hand mixer to whip the cream into stiff, free-standing peaks.
- Step 2. Add the sweetened condensed milk. Once the cream begins to form stiff peaks, add the sweetened condensed milk and mini marshmallows. Use a large spoon or spatula to fold the ingredients together until the mixture is smooth and homogenous.
- Step 3. Spread the mixture into a loaf pan. Transfer the ice cream mixture to a 9×5 inch loaf pan or glass dish and cover with plastic wrap. Allow the ice cream to freeze for 6 hours.
- Step 4. The ice cream is ready to enjoy. Serve and enjoy!
Get full instructions for this chocolate ice cream recipe with the recipe card below.
You can store this ice cream in the loaf pan or in an airtight container for about 2 months in the freezer. After that, it will lose its creamy texture and consistency. We eat this ice cream pretty fast so it never makes it that long!
Place a layer of wax paper directly on the ice cream as well. This will help to prevent ice crystals from forming. This just helps to ensure freshness.
- Mexican Hot Chocolate. Add a dash of chili powder and cinnamon to the hot chocolate mixture. This will give you all the tasty flavors of Mexican Frozen Hot Cocoa.
- Espresso Flavor. For an intense coffee flavor, add 2 to 3 teaspoon of expresso powder.
- Dark Chocolate. If you want a richer chocolate flavor, try using dark chocolate hot cocoa mix or add a cup of mini chocolate chips to your ice cream mixture
- Peppermint Flavor. Around the holidays, it might be fun to add a teaspoon of peppermint extract to the mixture. You can also add crushed candy canes or peppermint candy.
Tips for Success
- Marshmallow Bits. If you have access to the small jet puff marshmallow bits, they make a great topping on this ice cream.
- Richer Chocolate Flavor. We used 3 hot chocolate packets for this recipe, which comes out to about ⅓ cup of mix. For a richer chocolate flavor you can use an extra packet or use about ½ cup of hot cocoa mix.
- Mini Marshmallows. Mini marshmallows are easier to distribute evenly throughout the ice cream. It is also important to note that the marshmallow will not freeze solid.
Print this Hot Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe:
Hot Chocolate Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 packages of hot chocolate mix about ⅓ cup
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ¼ cup mini marshmallows
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the heavy cream, vanilla, and hot chocolate mix. Use an electric hand mixer to whip the cream into stiff, free-standing peaks.
- Once the cream begins to form stiff peaks, add the sweetened condensed milk and mini marshmallows. Use a large spoon or spatula to fold the ingredients together until the mixture is smooth and homogenous.
- Transfer the ice cream mixture to a 9×5 inch loaf pan or glass dish and cover with plastic wrap. Allow the ice cream to freeze for 6 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe