These Oatmeal Scotchies are soft and chewy and the best oatmeal cookies. These cookies are loaded with butterscotch chips for amazing flavor and texture.
Easy Oatmeal Scotchies Recipe:
If you love oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, then you are going to love these oatmeal butterscotch cookies. They are soft, chewy and baked with amazing texture.
The cookies have a crispy texture and a soft center making them ultimate oatmeal cookies. Adding the butterscotch morsels to the chewy oatmeal cookies brings me back to my childhood.
The sweet flavor, crispy cookie and amazing flavor makes this cookie one we make every holiday. It is like eating a butterscotch candy at my grandma’s house.
What are Oatmeal Scotchies?
These oatmeal scotchies is a classic oatmeal cookie with a hint of butterscotch. They are soft, chewy with a crispy edge cookie that is loaded with flavor.
The combination of the butterscotch chips, oatmeal and cinnamon makes for a delicious cookie. The simple ingredients make this also a family favorite cookie.
- Unsalted Butter (softened)
- Light Brown Sugar
- Granulated White Sugar
- Large Eggs (room temperature)
- Vanilla Extract
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
- Butterscotch Chips (11 ounces)
How to Make Oatmeal Scotchies:
- Step 1 – Heat Oven – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step 2 – Combine Flour Mixture – Whisk together the flour and baking soda. Then add in cinnamon and salt in a medium size mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Step 3 – Beat Butter and Sugar Mixture – In a separate bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Combine with a hand held mixer or stand up mixer until the mixture is creamy.
- Step 4 – Add in Eggs – Add in the eggs, one at a time. Mix until combined and then add in the vanilla extract.
- Step 5 – Mix dry and butter mixture together – Add the dry ingredients into the butter mixture. Then mix on low speed until combined.
- Step 6 – Mix in Oats – Hand stir in the oats and the butterscotch chips.
- Step 7 – Drop Cookie Dough – Drop the dough onto baking sheets. Scoop with a cookie scoop (approximately 2 tablespoons) and ensure that they are approximately 2 inches apart.
- Step 8 – Bake Cookies – Bake for 12-16 minutes until the cookies are slightly brown on the edges.
- Step 9 – Remove From Oven – Remove from the oven. Let them sit for 5 minutes.
- Step 10 – Cool Completely – Move the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Step 11 – Serve – Then the cookies are ready to serve and enjoy.
- Room Temperature Ingredients – When combining the ingredients make sure the ingredients are at room temperature. This helps to blend the ingredients easily and prevents lumps in your batter.
- Prepare Baking Sheet – We like to prepare the baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper. This helps for an easy clean up and removing the cookies form the baking sheet.
- Cooking Sheet – To ensure the cookies are about the same size. We like to use a cookie scoop to create cookie dough balls.
- Mixing Ingredients – The batter should be mixed until just combined. Do not overmix the batter. You can mix with a stand mixer or by hand.
- Allow the cookies to set – The cookies need to remain on the baking sheet after removing from oven. Rest for 5 minutes prior to moving to the cooling rack. This will help them to set and not crumble when moved.
- Quick Oats – These cookies are made with oatmeal and we have even made them with quick oats.
- Raisin Oatmeal – You can also make Oatmeal Raisin Cookies by adding in raisin to the cookie batter. This creates a chewy cookie to serve with friends and family.
- Nuts – Add in chopped nuts for added flavor and texture. You can add in chopped pecans or almonds.
- Chocolate chips – This recipe can be made with an addition of chocolate chips. You can also use dark chocolate chips.
Why are my Oatmeal Scotchies Flat?
There could multiple reasons why your cookies have turned flat after baking. Here are some things that can be the problem.
- Oven is to hot
- Overmixing the cookie batter
- Ingredients not measured out correctly
- The butter was to soft
Can you Freeze these Cookies?
Oatmeal Scotchies can be frozen for a delicious treat all year long. They freeze well and there are two options you can choose from. You can freeze the dough which is the method we prefer or freeze the cookies.
Freezing the Dough:
- After forming the dough balls, flash freeze on a baking sheet for 1 to 2 hours.
- Then freeze in bags or freezer containers until ready to bake.
This method makes it super easy to enjoy fresh baked cookies any day of the week. Just note that frozen cookies will need a few extra minutes to bake.
The other option is to freeze the cookies after they are baked.
- Place parchment paper in between the layers when freezing.
- You can use a freezer container or bag and freeze up to 3 months.
How to Store Leftovers:
Store the leftovers in an airtight container or bag for up to 1 week at room temperature.
Print Recipe for Oatmeal Scotchies:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a medium size mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar with a hand held mixer or stand up mixer until the mixture is creamy.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, until combined and then mix in the vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients into the butter mixture and mix on low speed until combined.
- Hand stir in the oats and the butterscotch chips.
- Drop the dough onto baking sheets with a cookie scoop (approximately 2 tablespoons) and ensure that they are approximately 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12-16 minutes until the cookies are slightly brown on the edges.
- Remove from the oven. Let them sit for 5 minutes.
- Move the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Then the cookies are ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe