Red Velvet Cake Recipe is so easy to make from scratch. Each bite is moist and heavenly and the cream cheese frosting makes it amazing. This southern recipe does not disappoint and is meant to be enjoyed year round.
The Best Red Velvet Cake recipe
This delicious recipe is super easy to make but the results are so delicious. Easy Red Velvet Cake recipe will become your new favorite cake recipe and looks fancy enough to be from a bakery.
Your friends and family won’t believe how simple this cake is to make. Let them think you were in in the kitchen all day baking.
This is such a classic Southern dessert but everyone regardless of where you are from loves this cake. It is perfect to make for the holidays but we love it year round. It actually makes a great birthday cake.
Obviously we look for any excuse to make this cake. It is seriously that delicious and amazing.
What is Red Velvet Cake made of?
Red Velvet cake is a heavenly dessert that you will love. Once you make this homemade cake, you will skip the store bought mixes. This recipe is SO much better.
This cake is typically a chocolate layer cake that is tinted red. The chocolate flavor is not as strong as a normal chocolate cake.
This Red Velvet Cake is perfect to serve for Christmas or for Valentine’s Day.
Is a Red Velvet Cake just a Chocolate Cake?
While both cakes definitely have similarities, they are not the same thing. Red Velvet typically has buttermilk or some recipes call for vinegar. Whereas chocolate cake does not call for these. The flavor is not the same in the cakes and they do taste different.
I know many people that are not huge chocolate cake fans but they love red velvet cake. The flavor is less intense and really just has its own unique flavor. Red velvet cake is amazing.
Ingredients for red velvet cake:
- Cake Flour
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking Soda
- Butter, Softened
- Vegetable Oil
- Large Eggs
- Vanilla Extract
- Red Food Coloring
How to Make Red Velvet Cake:
- Prepare the Oven – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease the Pans – Grease and flour 2 9-in cake pans. I prefer to flour as the cakes come out easier once they are cooked.
- Mix together Dry Ingredients – Combine the flour, baking soda, natural cocoa powder and salt together in a mixing bowl.
- Mix together butter and sugar – Using either a stand up or hand held mixer, combine the butter and sugar until thoroughly mix together (approximately 1 minute). We add on the paddle attachment for easy mixing on medium speed.
- Add in oil, egg and vanilla – Then add in the oil, egg yolks (save the egg whites) and vanilla extract. Mix until these ingredients are combined and use a spatula to scrape the edge of the bowl as well.
- Add Dry Ingredients and buttermilk – Then slowly add in the dry ingredients and the buttermilk until both are thoroughly combined into the wet ingredients.
- Add in Food Coloring – Then add approximately 2 tsp of red gel food coloring until the batter is the color that you desire for your cake.
- Beat Egg Whites – Next in a separate mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until they are light and fluffy and form peaks.
- Stir Egg into Batter – Gently stir in the eggs white until the red cake batter until they are combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour into Pans – Pour the batter evenly into the 2 pans and bake for 30 minutes to 33 minute until a tooth pick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Bake time will vary based on your oven.
- Cool Cakes on wire rack – Allow the cake to cool for 5 minutes and then remove the cake from the pans to a wire rack.
- Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting – Allow the cake to cool completely on the wire rack and then frost with our cream cheese frosting!
- Serve and Enjoy – Keep the cake in the refrigerator for up to 5 days and enjoy.
What is the flavor of Red Velvet Cake?
Red Velvet Cake combines the wonderful flavors of chocolate and vanilla thanks to the buttermilk that is added. When making a red velvet cake the main taste you get is from the cream cheese frosting.
Making a red velvet cake it must be topped with a homemade cream cheese frosting. Combining the flavors of the cream cheese frosting and the fluffy, light texture of the cake make it the best flavor.
How to Make Cream Cheese Frosting:
We love making homemade frosting for our cakes and cupcakes. This Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe is simple to make with only four ingredients. You will love making it so much that you will never buy store bought again.
- Cream Cheese
- Unsalted Butter
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
Make sure that cream cheese is softened and beat in a stand mixer until smooth. Add in butter and combine thoroughly. Then slowly add in powdered sugar continue mixing until smooth and creamy.
Add in vanilla then top the Red Velvet Cake with this amazing frosting.
You can use store bought frosting, but making cream cheese from scratch allows you to know exactly the ingredients you are adding and adjust accordingly.
Can I Make this Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can make this Red Velvet Cake ahead of time. If I am planning ahead and make the cakes, I recommend placing in the refrigerator. I don’t frost the cake until I am ready to serve.
Make sure to cover the cakes with plastic wrap to keep the cake from drying out.
Tips for The Best Red Velvet Cake Recipe:
- Round Cake Pans – We used a set of round 9″ cake pans to make this cake. This gives you the pretty layers that red velvet is known for. This is just an option though as this recipe is very versatile.
- Make Cupcakes – Another idea to try is cupcakes. This option would be perfect for parties and more. Use cupcake holders for an easy clean up for your muffin pan.
- Mixer – You certainly can use a hand mixer but we love our stand mixer. It gets a ton of use and to this day is such a good investment. We bake a lot so it is so handy and we love our mixer.
- Cool Cakes – Make sure the cake is really cool before icing. I use a set of these baking racks and they are great!
- Leveling Cakes – After baking your cakes, they may have a dome on the top. I like to slice off the top so that the cakes stack evenly. This makes it easy to frost and looks so beautiful displayed.
- Room Temperature Ingredients – Before planning on making this cake, we like to set out the ingredients to bring them to room temperature. The ingredients mix better when they are at room temperature.
- Laying Cake – When placing your cakes on top of each, make sure you are gentle with them. They can break easily as the cakes bake up soft and moist.
Can I Freeze Red Velvet Cake?
Yes, you can freeze red velvet cake. You can freeze the cake as a whole cake or in individual slices. We like to double wrap the cake with plastic wrap and then foil. If stored properly, the cake will last up to 3 months in the freezer.
When you are ready to serve, thaw the cake in the refrigerator overnight. Then frost the cake with the cream cheese frosting and serve.
How to store Red Velvet Cake
I like to keep my cake in the refrigerator in an air tight container. It will last for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Our cake never lasts that long because everyone gobbles it up. It is a favorite around here.
Before serving the Red Velvet Cake we like to bring it to room temperature.
Also see How Long Does Birthday Cake Last.
Why we love this Red Velvet Cake Recipe:
- Taste – We love the way red velvet taste. The cream cheese frosting really brings the flavors of the chocolate and vanilla together.
- Easy to Make – We love how simple this recipe is to make. Anyone can make this even if you are not a baker.
- Simple Ingredient – The ingredients are simple and can be easily found at the store.
- Appearance – We love the deep red color of this cake. Topped with the white frosting it is so eye pleasing and perfect holiday cake.
Print this red velvet cake recipe below:
Red velvet cake recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour 2 9-in cake pans. I prefer to flour as the cakes come out easier once they are cooked.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cocoa and salt together in a mixing bowl.
- Using either a stand up or hand held mixer, combine the butter and sugar until thoroughly mix together (approximately 1 minute).
- Then add in the oil, egg yolks (save the egg whites) and vanilla extract. Mix until these ingredients are combined and use a spatula to scrape the edge of the bowl as well.
- Then slowly add in the dry ingredients and the buttermilk until both are thoroughly combined into the wet ingredients.
- Then add approximately 2 tsp of red gel food coloring until the batter is the color that you desire for your cake.
- Next in a separate mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until they are light and fluffy and form peaks.
- Gently stir in the eggs white until the red batter until they are combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter evenly into the 2 pans and bake for 30-33 minute until a tooth pick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for 5 minutes and then remove the cake from the pans to a wire rack.
- Allow the cake to cool completely on the wire rack and then frost with our cream cheese frosting!
- Keep the cake in the refrigerator for up to 5 days and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Red Velvet Desserts
- Red Velvet Cake Pops Recipe
- Red Velvet Trifle Cups
- Red Velvet Pound Cake Recipe
- Red Velvet Ice Cream Recipe
- Best Red Velvet Brownies Recipe
- Red Velvet Poke Cake Recipe