Every 4th of July or Memorial Day party needs an American flag cake! This recipe is super easy and not complicated at all. Let the kids help and make it an annual tradition!
American flag cake
Patriotic desserts are so fun and this American Flag Cake is tasty and festive. We have a blast making red white and blue desserts. They are a must for July 4th! We also make them for Memorial Day.
The blueberries and strawberries make such a pretty flag and the cake is delicious too. I love that this cake is not heavy or overly sweet. The berries really lighten it up so you don’t feel like the cake is too much for hot weather.
This American Flag Cookie Cake is another favorite. You can’t go wrong with these festive treats.
Let’s make this American flag cake!
Ingredients for American flag cake:
- vanilla cake mix (and the ingredients needed to prepare the cake.)
- vanilla icing
With just these simple ingredients, you can make this amazing and delicious American Flag cake.
How to make American flag cake:
Rinse blueberries and strawberries and set aside.
Prepare the vanilla cake mix according to directions in a 9×13 pan. I used this Wilton pan for even baking.
Allow to cool completely.
Evenly spread the vanilla icing over the cake.
Cut the stems of the strawberries off and slice the strawberries. The thinner the better, because it will lay flatter. I used my JA Henckels knife.
How do you decorate a cake like an American flag?
Place the blueberries in a rectangle on the cake in the upper left corner.
Then lay the strawberries slightly overlapping them to make the red stripes.
It is that easy to make this red white and blue cake!
Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. This cake is so simple to make but looks so patriotic.
You are going to love it! It taste amazing too.
This 4th of July cake is perfect for a 9×13 baking pan.
I use the disposable pans for the ones I’m taking to a cookout or if I’m transporting the cake. This cake is also perfect to take to cookouts and such for July 4th or Memorial Day.
I love not worrying about getting the dish back and can just leave it at cookouts and such. One less thing to worry about and you can pick them up cheap at the dollar store.
Tips and Trick for the best 4th of July cake:
- Slice the berries very thin so that they will lay flat to make the red stripes.
- We used a white cake mix but angel food cake or yellow cake would work as well. You could even use those patriotic funfetti cake mixes.
- Try using food coloring to make the cake different colors. You can do a row of red layer and a row of blue layer.
- Substitute whipped cream for the icing for a change. This is also really good!
- Make sure to keep this cake in the fridge or serve immediately.
- Use a 9×13 pan to have plenty of room to make the flag design out of the fruit. Smaller size pans will not produce the desired outcome of a flag shape.
Also, you certainly can use a hand mixer but we love our stand mixer. It gets a ton of use and to this day is such a good investment.
We bake a lot so it is so handy and we love our mixer. It sure makes all of these delicious things we make so much easier and quicker.
It is perfect for any cake or cupcake recipe.
Let us know how your American flag cake turns out!
We started making this a few years back and everyone looks forward to it. Our family and friends know that this is the cake I will be bringing.
Even the kids look forward to helping make it. They love to decorate the cake and see it turn into a beautiful American flag.
It is so fun and tasty as well. 🙂 Come back and leave a comment letting us know how it turned out.
If you are looking for a super easy dessert that will turn out amazing, this is the one to try! So yummy and easy!
Print this American flag cake recipe below:
Every 4th of July or Memorial Day party needs an American flag cake! This recipe is super easy and not complicated at all. Let the kids help!
- 1 vanilla cake mix - prepared
- 1 tub of vanilla icing
- 1 pint blueberries
- 2 lbs strawberries
- Rinse blueberries and strawberries and set aside.
- Prepare the vanilla cake mix according to directions in a 9x13 pan. I used this Wilton pan for even baking.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Evenly spread the vanilla icing over the cake.
- Cut the stems of the strawberries off and slice the strawberries. The thinner the better, because it will lay flatter. I used my JA Henckels knife.
- Place the blueberries in a rectangle on the cake in the upper left corner.
- Then lay the strawberries slightly overlapping them to make the read stripes.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Try these other 4th of July desserts:
- Red white and blue crinkle cake mix cookies
- 4th of July Ice Cream Sandwich recipe
- Red White and Blue Chocolate Covered Pretzels
- Easy Bomb Brownie Bites
- The Best Red White and Blue Cake to Impress!
- 4th of July Chocolate Covered Oreos
- How to make Red, White, and Blue Jello
- 4th of July rice Krispie Treats
- 4th of July Fruit Kabobs
- Red, white and blue jello
Try these other easy cake recipes:
- Chocolate Cherry Cake Recipe
- Peach Dump Cake Recipe
- Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake Recipe
- Crock Pot Apple Pie Dump Cake
- Crock Pot Cherry Dump Cake
- Texas Sheet Cake Recipe
- Oreo Dirt Cake
- Banana Pudding Poke Cake Recipe
- Christmas Jello Poke Cake
- Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake Recipe
- Lazy Day Cinnamon Bundt Cake Recipe
- The Easiest Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Cake
- How to Make a Mug Cake from Scratch
- 3 Ingredient Strawberry Icebox Cake Recipe
- Easy Chocolate Crock Pot Lava Cake Recipe
- Easy S’Mores Cake Recipe