Chocolate dump cake is so decadent with lots of chocolate chips and delicious toppings. Each bite is loaded with chocolate for a dessert you can’t resist.
You won’t believe how simple this recipe is and how decadent it turns out. Each bite is packed with tons of chocolate. With as little as 3 ingredients, this Chocolate Dump Cake comes together quickly and easily for a delicious cake that is super easy to make.
Anytime we need a quick dessert that is amazing, we make this easy cake recipe that starts with a chocolate cake mix. It has so much rich chocolate flavor.
What is a dump cake?
A dump cake is exactly how it sounds. You dump the dry ingredients and wet ingredients into the baking pan and bake.
No mixing bowls are needed. Some dump cakes are fruit topped with a cake mix and butter but this one is a little bit different.
Everything is still dumped into the pan but we do mix it before serving it. We just mix it in the same pan as we bake it in to save on dishes.
- Chocolate Cake Mix – I use either a plain chocolate cake mix or a Devil’s Food Cake Mix for this Recipe.
- Instant Chocolate Pudding
- Chocolate Chips– These are optional but I highly recommend them. They make this cake moist and gooey. Usually I use semi-sweet chocolate chips but milk chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips will work great as well.
You can see the entire ingredient list in the recipe card.
Variations and Substitutions
- Try German chocolate dump cake for a delicious twist on the classic recipe.
- Caramel chocolate dump cake is so tasty. We love adding caramel to the cake.
- Try using white chocolate chips. This is great mixed in with the milk chocolate chips or you can substitute them.
- Add nuts to the cake mixture before it bakes. Pecans, walnuts or almonds would be great.
- Peanut Butter chips are also so delicious in the cake. If you love peanut butter and chocolate, this is a great combination.
- Toffee Chips. This combination is delightful on top of the casserole dish with the chocolate.
- Frosting. Skip the chocolate chips and top the cake with chocolate frosting.
How to make chocolate dump cake
- Step 1. First, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Next, go ahead and spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
Step 2. Pour the milk in the pan.
Step 3. Add in the dry cake mix and the pudding mix into the pan. Stir everything together with a fork or whisk.
Step 4. If you are using the chocolate chips, go ahead and add those on top of the cake. While this is optional, I highly recommend it because it just adds such an amazing layer of ooey gooey chocolate.
Step 5. Finally, bake for 30 minute or a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool before cutting and serving.
- Vanilla ice cream. I love this No Churn Vanilla Ice Cream.
- Try different ice cream flavors. Chocolate fans might like No Churn Chocolate Ice Cream for double the chocolate flavor!
- Whipped cream. Try Homemade Whipped Cream Recipe.
- Drizzle Homemade Caramel Sauce or Hot Fudge Sauce on top.
- You can also top with nuts. Pecans or walnuts are great.
This reminds me of a hot fudge sundae. My favorite is a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a generous drizzle of caramel and hot fudge sauce.
This cake is meant to be super moist and gooey so it can be hard to tell when it’s done. Watch the edges closely.
When the edges are starting to pull away from the pan and are browning slightly, it’s done.
There will still be some wet parts in the middle of the cake and that is normal.
Leftovers: Store the leftovers of this cake in an air tight container at room temperature for 3-4 days. I don’t recommend placing the cake in the fridge as it will dry out.
In the Freezer: You can freeze the leftover cake in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. Defrost the cake in the refrigerator overnight when you are ready to serve. Then reheat in the microwave or oven.
I love this cake warm, so I recommend reheating your leftovers slightly before enjoying them.
More easy dump cake recipes
- Peach Dump Cake Recipe
- Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake Recipe
- Crock Pot Apple Pie Dump Cake
- Crock Pot Cherry Dump Cake
Once you try this chocolate dump cake recipe, you will be hooked. Don’t forget to come back and leave a star rating and comment.
Chocolate dump cake recipe
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 small box instant chocolate pudding
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pray a 9×13 pan with nonstick spray.
- Pour the milk in the pan.
- Pour in the cake mix and the pudding mix into the pan.
- Use a fork to stir it together. .
- Top with the chocolate chips (optional) and bake for 30 minute or until the edges pull away from the pan.
- Cool before cutting and serving. Serve with any toppings – ice cream, caramel syrup, whipped cream on top.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe