Start a new family tradition with this Grinch Cookies Recipe. It is super easy, so delicious and your kids will love it!
These chewy sugar cookies are so festive and one of the cutest Christmas deserts. It is so easy using a cake mix and turns out delicious.
Sometimes, we also make this Easy Grinch Punch Recipe to go with the cookies. Since the punch only calls for 3 ingredients, it’s super easy to make too.
It’s amazing because the kids never seem to remember what they got each Christmas but they always remember these sweet traditions. Try one of our easy Grinch Desserts.
Table of Contents
Why we love this recipe:
- It uses a cake mix. This is one of the easiest treats to make.
- Soft and Chewy cookies. The texture is perfect.
- Grinch theme. We love the grinch theme without much work.
- Boxed Cake Mix – I use a white cake mix for this recipe. Or try our Homemade Cake Mix Recipe
- Eggs – Large eggs at room temperature work the best to make fluffy and delicious cookies.
- Vegetable Oil – Canola Oil and Coconut Oil would work in this recipe as well.
- Green Food Coloring – I like to use the gel coloring as it makes more of a bright green color versus a pastel color.
- Christmas M&Ms – I use only the red M&Ms in this recipe to represent the Grinch’s heart that was 2 sizes too small.
Skip to the bottom to find the complete ingredient list.
Grinch Christmas Cookies Variation Ideas:
- Roll in Powdered Sugar – Roll the cookie dough in powdered sugar prior to baking to give these cookies a crinkled look before serving.
- Use your favorite Flavor Cake Mix – Generally, I use a white cake mix because it is easy to dye green but really any will work great. You can use a yellow cake mix or a chocolate cake mix to make easy chocolate cookies.
- Use Red Heart Candies – Use little red candy hearts or a red heart sprinkles instead of M&Ms in this easy cookie recipe.
- Add Vanilla Extract – For a little extract sweetness, add 1 tsp of vanilla extract to the dough prior to baking.
- Roll in White Sugar – Roll the cookie dough in white sugar before baking to give the cookie a crinkled look.
- Food Coloring – We love the green food coloring as it goes with the grinch theme, but you can use other desired colors.
How to Make Grinch Cookies with Cake Mix:
- Step 1. Prepare the Oven – First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Step 2. Get out a large mixing bowl and combine the cake mix, eggs and oil together. The batter will be thick, but this is normal). You can use a stand mixer or a hand mixer.
Step 3. Add the green gel food coloring and dye the cookie dough.
Step 4. I started with 1 tsp and mixed thoroughly until the dough was the perfect shade. You can adjust as necessary.
Step 5. Scoop Cookies onto cookie sheet using a cookie scoop. Then place on cookie sheets leaving about 2 inches between each cookie. I used a silicone baking mat.
Step 6. Top the cookies with the Red M&M’s. Gently press them on top of the dough and slightly press down.
Step 7. Bake Cookie for 8-10 minutes until just slightly brown on the edges. Allow to set for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.
- Use a Cookie Scoop – I highly recommend using a cookie scoop. You will thank me later because it saves so much time on spooning out the cookies. I also think they look more uniform when you use a cookie scoop.
- Use Baking Liners – Another handy kitchen item I like to use are these baking liners to bake my cookies. Clean up is easy and the cookies turn out perfectly every time! You can also use baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a Good Baking Sheet – Also, make sure to have a good baking sheet. I just had to replace several of mine and thankfully found several on sale on Amazon. It is super important to use good baking tools so your finished product will be just how you want it!
- Chill Dough – Most cookie recipes you need to chill the dough before baking the cookies. With these cookies there is no need to chill the dough. You can prepare and then bake all at the same time.
Frequently Asked Questions
After baking the cake mix cookies, allow the cookies to cool. The cookies flatten which gives the cookies a chewy texture and have crispy edge.
Store these cookies at room temperature in an air tight container. I like to put a piece of white bread in the continaer with the cookies to keep them soft and chewy.
Yes, these cookies freeze great. Store in a freezer bag and freeze for 2-3 months. Defrost out at room temperature when you’re ready to enjoy them.
These are the perfect cookies to make ahead of time and thaw when you need them for a quick dessert.
More Grinch Recipes:
- Easy Grinch Puppy Chow Recipe
- 3 Ingredient Grinch Punch Recipe
- Grinch Brownies
- Easy Grinch Cake Mix Cookie Recipes
More Christmas Cookies:
Try this recipe for your next holiday party. Then leave a star recipe rating.
- 1 white cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- Green Gel Food Coloring
- Christmas M&M
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the cake mix, eggs and oil together in a large bowl. (Batter will be thick).
- Dye the cookie dough with the green gel food coloring. I start with 1 tsp and mix thoroughly until the dough is the color that you desire.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop out the cookies and place on cookie sheets leaving about 2 inches between each cookie.
- Press the red only m&ms on top of the dough and slightly press down into the dough. I like to use the red M&Ms only but you can use both colors if you prefer.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until cookies brown SLIGHTLY on the edges.
- Allow the cookies to set on the cookie sheets for 5 minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe