Enjoy this decadent Pumpkin Cake Recipe with only a few simple ingredients. The secret is a cake mix and the most delicious glaze.
Do you love all things pumpkin? We sure do and the simpler the better. This is the perfect recipe to make anytime the craving hits for pumpkin and you don’t have much time.
The cake only has 3 ingredients, and the glaze is just as simple. Seriously this is the easiest and most delicious Thanksgiving cake. If you love pumpkin cupcakes or pumpkin spice cake recipes, then you need to make this recipe.
I like to keep this recipe on hand for company, potlucks and anytime I need a quick dessert. It is one of my favorite pumpkin recipes because of how simple it is to make.
Table of Contents
Why everyone loves this recipe:
- Only 3 Ingredients. It is so easy.
- The cake is topped with glaze. Each bite is amazing.
- So much pumpkin flavor. It is so delicious.
- Cake Mix – We used Butter Golden
- Can of 100% Pumpkin (or make your own Pumpkin Puree)
- Pumpkin Pie Spice (Learn how to make your Pumpkin Pie Spice)
Ingredients for Glaze:
- Confectioner’s Sugar
- Apple Juice
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
Pumpkin Cake Variations:
- Crumble Topping – Add a crumble topping instead of glaze. This will make the cake taste more like coffee cake. I like the one I used on these Pumpkin Muffins.
- Nuts – Try adding chopped nuts such as walnuts or pecans to the cake mix. You could even add raisins and brown sugar to make the recipe even more decadent.
- Chocolate Toss in a handful of chocolate chips or white chocolate chips in this cake batter before putting it in the pan.
- Frosting – Skip the glaze and make a cream cheese frosting for the cake.
- Whipped cream – Put a dollop of whipped cream on each slice of cake before serving.
- Change Cake – Feel free to use different cake mix. Choose from yellow cake mix or spice cake mix.
- Change Liquid – You can use water or milk instead of apple juice. However, I like the apple juice with the glaze.
How to Make Pumpkin Cake:
Step 1 – Mix the cake mix, pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice until well blended in a large bowl. Do not use pumpkin pie filling.
Step 2 – Bake the cake according to the package directions. I used a Golden Butter cake mix but you can substitute a white or yellow or even spice cake.
How to Make the Glaze:
Let’s make the glaze while the cake bakes.
Step 1 – Whisk together the ingredients until it is the consistency of a pourable drizzle. You may need to add more powdered sugar if it is too thin. If it is too thick, add more apple juice to help it become more pourable.
Step 2 – Once the cake has finished cooking, drizzle the glaze over the top of the cake. Let the cake cool completely and serve.
- Don’t use pumpkin pie filling. This recipe calls for pure pumpkin.
- Adjust the glaze ingredients. You can add more milk or powdered sugar to achieve the desired consistency.
Frequently Asked Questions
We used a 9×13 baking dish for this cake. I love the ones with the lid. It sure makes storage so easy and if you take this cake somewhere.
You can also make this cake using a bundt pan. It is so gorgeous and looks extra fancy! Just make sure to adjust the cooking time when using a different type of pan.
Yes, you can freeze this pumpkin cake. Place the cake in a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
We recommend placing the leftovers in the fridge. Cover and store for up to 4 days.
Yes, we used a box cake mix to make this recipe. However, feel free to make a Homemade Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting instead.
It will just require more ingredients, but the results are a delicious pumpkin cake.
More Easy Pumpkin Desserts:
Please try this recipe and leave a comment once you do!
Easy Pumpkin cake Recipe
- 1 box cake mix Butter Golden, yellow cake mix, or spice cake
- 1 (15) oz. 100% Pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple juice water or milk
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Mix cake mix, pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice until well blended.
- Bake according to package directions (350 degrees). I used a Golden Butter cake mix, but you could use white or yellow or even spice cake.
- While cake bakes, make glaze
- Whisk together ingredients until a pourable drizzle forms. Add more powdered sugar if its too thin, more apple juice if its too thick.
- Serve cake and drizzle glaze over the top.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe