If you are looking for a delicious Fall Dessert make Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. It is made with simple ingredients and is easy to make.
Easy Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
This pumpkin cake is my go-to fall dessert for many different occasions. I love to make it topped with a cream cheese frosting to add delicious flavor. It is rich, moist and full of pumpkin flavor.
All the simple ingredients combine easily in a bowl and then pour in a baking dish. We made this pumpkin cake in a 9×13 pan but you can also use a sheet pan.
For you next holiday gathering, make this Pumpkin Cake or our Easy Pumpkin Dump Cake Recipe. It is always a crowd favorite and easy to transport. You probably already have everything you need to make this delicious cake.
We also love Pumpkin Pie Cake Recipe.
Why we Love this Pumpkin Cake Recipe:
- Pumpkin Flavor – Pumpkin desserts are something we look forward to every year. The amazing pumpkin flavor in this cake and the spices make this cake so delicious.
- Quick and Easy – If you need an easy dessert to bring to a last minute gathering. This is the dessert to make. The ingredients combine easily in a bowl and then baked in about 30 minutes.
- Amazing Frosting – We love that this cake is made from scratch and adding the cream cheese frosting makes it even better. The combination of the pumpkin cake and the cream cheese frosting is the perfect fall dessert.
For the Cake:
- All Purpose Flour
- Pure Pumpkin (15 ounces)
- Large Eggs
- Vegetable Oil
- Granulated Sugar
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
Make the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Cream Cheese (softened)
- Butter (room temperature)
- Vanilla Extract
- Powdered Sugar
How to Make Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting:
For the Cake:
- Step 1 – Heat the Oven – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Then spray a 9X13 baking pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Step 2 – Combine Dry Ingredients – In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Then add in pumpkin pie spice and salt. Set aside.
- Step 3 – Mix Sugar, oil, and pumpkin – In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, vegetable oil or pumpkin puree. Mix wet ingredinets until combined.
- Step 4 – Add in Eggs – Then add in the eggs and whisk until combined.
- Step 5 – Combine Dry and Wet Ingredients – Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Step 6 – Pour pumpkin mixture into Baking Pan – Pour the mixture into the baking pan.
- Step 7 – Bake Cake – Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Step 8 – Remove Cake – Remove the cake from the oven. Let it cool completely at room temperature for topping with the frosting.
How to Make the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Step 1 – Beat Cream Cheese and Butter – Beat together the cream cheese and butter. Beat until light and fluffy with a hand held mixer or stand up mixer.
- Step 2 – Add in Vanilla Extract – Add in the vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Mix on a low speed until combined and the cream cheese, butter and vanilla frosting is smooth.
- Step 3 – Spread Frosting – Spread the frosting onto the cooled cake. Then the cake is ready to serve and enjoy.
- Pumpkin – We recommend using canned pumpkin in this recipe. You can use fresh pumpkin if you prefer. But we like the texture and softness of how the canned pumpkin taste.
- Pumpkin Cake Seasoning – We love the flavor of pumpkin pie spice. Feel free to add in cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves or ginger.
- Frosting – This cake is delicious with the cream cheese frosting. But you can use canned cream cheese frosting instead of making it from scratch. You can also dust with confectioner’s sugar instead of adding a frosting.
- Baking Dish – This cake recipe is made in a 9 x 13 inch pan. But you can also be made in a sheet pan if you prefer. It will make a thinner cake and one of my favorite ways to enjoy it. Sheet Cake Recipe cooking time will vary.
- Nuts – This pumpkin cake would be delicious with an added crunch. You can mix in chopped pecans or walnuts. You can add them to the top after frosting the cake.
- Chocolate Chips – If you love the pumpkin and chocolate combination, mix in chocolate chips to the pumpkin batter. You can even add some to the top after frosting the cake.
Pumpkin Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe Tips:
- Pumpkin Puree – In this recipe pumpkin pie filling should not be used. It will cause the cake to have a different texture and will not bake correctly.
- Prepare Baking Dish – Spray the baking dish with cooking spray for an easy clean up. This will help with serving the cake as well.
- Combining Ingredients – Combine the ingredients by hand until thoroughly mix together.
- Cool Cake – Cool the cake completely before frosting the cake with the cream cheese frosting.
Is their a Difference between Cream Cheese Frosting and Cream Cheese Icing?
There is a difference between cream cheese frosting and cream cheese icing. Frosting is usually a thicker texture and is used to frost the outside of the cake.
Icing is thinner and glossy and can be used as a glaze. It depends on the bake goods on which option we choose to use to frost the cake.
Can I Prepare Ahead of Time?
Yes, this is the perfect fall dessert to prepare ahead of time. We recommend making the pumpkin cake the night before serving. Then frost the cake when you are ready to serve.
Because the cake needs to cool completely before frosting, then it makes it is easy to make ahead of time.
Can I Freeze Pumpkin Cake?
Pumpkin cake can be prepared and placed in the freezer. If you like to plan ahead you can easily double this recipe. Especially for a quick and easy last minute dessert.
Make sure to place in a freezer safe container and cover with plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Place in the freezer and store for up to 3 months.
When you are ready to serve, allow pumpkin cake to thaw at room temperature. Then prepare the frosting and serve for a delicious dessert.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate any leftover cake covered for up to 5 days. This cake makes it easy to prepare ahead of time since it will stay fresh for up to 5 days.
Make this pumpkin cake for someone special today that loves pumpkin desserts.
Print Recipe for Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting:
Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
For the Cake:
For the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a 9X13 baking pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, vegetable oil or pumpkin until combined.
- Then add in the eggs and whisk until combined.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool completely at room temperature for topping with the frosting.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Beat together the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy with a hand held mixer or stand up mixer.
- Add in the vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Mix on a low speed until combined and the frosting is smooth.
- Spread the frosting onto the cooled cake. Then the cake is ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Pumpkin Recipes:
- Eagle Brand Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- Pumpkin Sugar Cookies Recipe
- Pumpkin Truffles
- See more Canned pumpkin desserts.