These easy football cupcakes will be the star of the Super Bowl Party. The rich chocolate cake and buttercream frosting combine for the best treat.
These delicious and fun football shaped cupcakes are so easy to make. They are the perfect dessert to make for Game Day, sports themed parties and more. Plus, each bite is so rich and tasty.
We love to make these and the kids can help. This recipe comes together quick and easy.
The cupcakes use a cake mix and the frosting is homemade. It is fabulous.
For the Cupcakes:
- Devil’s Food Cake Mix. Plus, ingredients to prepare the mix based on the package instructions.
- Green Cupcake Liners
For the Frosting:
- Solid Vegetable Shortening
- Butter, softened at room temperature
- Clear Vanilla Extract
- Confectioners’ Sugar sifted
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
How to make football cupcakes:
- Step 1 – Get out a large mixing bowl. Prepare the devil’s food cake mix based on the cupcake instructions using the green cupcake liners. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely at room temperature.
How to make chocolate buttercream:
- Step 1 – Combine the shortening and butter. In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and unsalted butter until combined and smooth.
- Step 2 – Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar. Then slowly add in the powdered sugar (1 cup at a time) on low speed until well combined. It is important to do this gradually.
- Step 3 – Add the vanilla and milk. Then stir in the vanilla extract and milk until combined. The mixture should be smooth and creamy.
- Step 4 – Separate the frosting. Remove approximately ½ cup of the frosting to a separate bowl for the laces on the footballs.
- Step 5 – Make the brown frosting. Add the cocoa powder to the remaining frosting to make the brown football frosting.
Next- How to decorate football cupcakes:
- Step 1 – Get out a piping bag. Place the brown frosting in a piping bag with a large star tip. Pipe the brown frosting onto the cupcakes in a swirl pattern in the shape of a football. Let the frosting set for a few minutes.
- Step 2 – Create the laces. Place the white frosting in a piping bag with a small round tip. Use this pastry bag to pipe the laces onto each cupcake. This does not have to be perfect so just have fun.
- Step 3 – Serve and enjoy. Then the cupcakes are ready to serve and enjoy!
Jump to recipe below for complete instructions. It is very simple to do but turns out bakery quality.
How to store:
Store the leftover cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. We have a cupcake carrier that is perfect for storing cupcakes and traveling with them as well.
If you have one, that is a great storage solution. Otherwise, any airtight container will work great.
Can I fill these cupcakes with anything?
Yes, this is an option. You can use a pastry bag and put the filling inside each cupcake.
Some ideas include: Pudding, melted chocolate, caramel, cream and more.
This is an easy way to make the cupcakes even more spectacular. Everyone will enjoy the surprise in the middle.
- Cupcakes. You can use any type you prefer. Feel free to substitute vanilla, funfetti or any variety you enjoy.
- Homemade. We used store bought but you can make homemade chocolate cupcakes if you would like.
- Team Colors. Green cupcake liners pair nicely but you can also use team colors.
- Sprinkles. Garnish the cupcakes with sprinkles around the edges.
- Chocolate Chips. Sprinkle chocolate chips in the cupcake batter for even more chocolate flavor.
- Group into a cake. Another fun option for this recipe is to group all the cupcakes together into the shape of a football. Then top with brown frosting over all the cupcakes and top with the white icing.
- Store Bought Frosting. Instead of homemade, you can purchase frosting at the grocery store. This will save a little bit of time if you are in a hurry.
Tips for Football Cupcakes:
- If you do not have a piping bag, use a ziploc bag. Cut off the corner and pipe the design. It will be more difficult to do but works in a pinch.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool before adding the frosting.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar when making the frosting. It will be easier to blend and achieve the desired texture.
- Allow the chocolate frosting to set a few minutes before piping the white laces on top. This will make it easier and will allow for clean lines.
- Use room temperature butter in this recipe. It is easier to work with and combines for a smother texture.
- Clear vanilla extract is best in this recipe. The white icing will be a bright shade of white when you use clear extract.
Football Cupcakes make a fun dessert.
These adorable cupcakes make the cutest dessert for the big game. The next time you want a sweet treat for Super Bowl or any game, give these a try. I think they would also be so cute for a sports themed birthday party.
Whatever occasion you decide to make these for, they will be a hit for sure. They look amazing and taste delicious.
For the Cupcakes:
- Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- *Ingredients to prepare the mix based on the package instructions
- Green Cupcake Liners
For the Frosting:
- 1 cup Solid Vegetable Shortening
- 1 cup Butter softened at room temperature
- 2 tsp Clear Vanilla Extract
- 8 cups Confectioners’ Sugar sifted
- 4 Tbsp Milk
- 2/3 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Prepare the devil’s food cake mix based on the cupcake instructions using the green cupcake liners and allow the cupcakes to cool completely at room temperature.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and butter until combined and smooth.
- Then slowly add in the confectioners’ sugar (1 cup at a time) on low speed until well combined.
- Then stir in the vanilla extract and milk until combined.
- Remove approximately ½ cup of the frosting to a separate bowl for the laces on the footballs.
- Add the cocoa powder to the remaining frosting to make the brown footballs frosting.
- Place the brown frosting in a piping bag with a large star tip. Pipe the brown frosting onto the cupcakes in a swirl pattern in the shape of a football. Let the frosting set for a few minutes.
- Place the white frosting in a piping bag with a small round tip. Use this pastry bag to pipe the laces onto each cupcake.
- Then the cupcakes are ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More football desserts:
- Football Cookie Pops
- Football Dirt Cups
- Easy Football Shaped Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls
- Football Brownies
- More Football Cake Ideas
- Football Rice Krispie Treats Recipe