Football Pull Apart Cupcakes will be the star of the dessert table during football season or for your Super Bowl Party. It looks like a cake but it’s actually football cupcakes.
This adorable football cupcake cake is so impressive but very easy to make. With easy step by step instructions, anyone can make this. It’s absolutely perfect for the big game and one of the easiest cupcake recipes.
Table of contents
Why we love this recipe
It is one of the easiest desserts but looks so festive for the football game. Not only will it be a hit with any football fan but kids love this for birthdays too. This recipe is definitely a touchdown!
- Chocolate Cupcakes (prepared)
- Unsalted Butter (softened)
- Sifted confectioners’ sugar
- Unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder
- Clear vanilla extract
You can find the entire ingredient list at the bottom of the page.
Step by step instructions
Step 1. Heat oven and bake 24 cupcakes in the oven using cupcake pans and regular-size muffin cups. I like to use green cupcake liners for the batter. You can use betty crocker, duncan hines, homemade or anything you like. Allow cupcakes to cool on a wire rack completely at room temperature.
Step 2. While the cupcakes cool, make the frosting in a large bowl. Beat the butter with a paddle attachment until fluffy.
Step 3. Next, add the confectioner’s sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Beat on low speed until combined and then increase the speed to medium/high speed and beat for 3-4 minutes until all the ingredients are combined.
Step 4. Gradually add the milk to the mixing bowl until the frosting is the consistency that you prefer. Then remove about ½ cup of the white icing from the bowl and reserve. Next, mix the cocoa powder into the remaining frosting and beat on low speed until combined. Increase the speed to high and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy.
Step 5. Arrange the cupcakes on a platter with parchment paper. The configuration should look like a football. Place a small dollop of chocolate frosting on each cupcake.
Step 6. Spread the frosting evenly with an angled spatula so that it looks like one cake.
Step 7. Add the remaining chocolate frosting in a decorating bag. Start at one end of the football shape and pipe a zig-zag shape until the entire top of the football is covered in the chocolate frosting.
Step 8. Finally, place the reserved vanilla frosting in a piping bag fitted with tip. Pipe laces on the football using thick lines. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Guests can pull apart the cupcakes to enjoy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
This recipe can easily be made with a cake mix or homemade Chocolate Cupcakes.
I recommend freezing the cupcakes once cooled and before they are decorated. Then allow to thaw and assemble in the football shape. Decorate as normal.
More Football Desserts to try
- Football Oreo Balls
- How to Make a Football Cake
- Football Chocolate Covered Pretzel Rods
- Football Oreo Balls
- Football Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
Once you make this recipe, please leave a comment and star rating.
Football Pull Apart Cupcakes
- 24 Chocolate Cupcakes prepared
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter softened
- 3 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder
- 2 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Prepare a batch of at least 24 cupcakes and cool completely at room temperature.
- Using the paddle attachment, whip the butter for 5-7 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally, beating until the butter is very fluffy.
- Add in the confectioner’s sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Beat on low speed until combined and then increase the speed on the mixture to medium/high speed and beat for 3-4 minutes (scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed) until all the ingredients are combined.
- Slowly add in the milk until the frosting is the consistency that you prefer.
- Remove approximately ½ cup of the frosting from the bowl and reserve for the stripes on the football.
- Mix the cocoa powder into the remaining frosting and beat on low speed until combined. Increase the speed to high and beat for 2-3 minutes until the frosting is light and fluffy.
Assemble the Cupcakes:
- Set up your cupcakes in the shape of football. Place a small dollop of chocolate frosting on each cupcake and spread evenly with an angled spatula spreading the icing across all the cupcakes to make them look like one cake.
- Place the remaining chocolate frosting in a piping bag fitted with tip 1M (star tip). Start at one end of the football shape and pipe a zig-zag shape until the entire top of the football is covered in the chocolate frosting.
- Place the reserved vanilla frosting in a piping bag fitted with tip #3A. Pipe the football stripes onto the top of the football cake.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Allow your guests to pull apart the cupcakes to enjoy.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe