We make Valentine’s Day Puppy Chow Recipe every year for a special Valentines treat. Whether you call it puppy chow or muddy buddies, this recipe is sure to be a hit! Tons of creamy peanut butter, m&m’s candy, cereal and more combine for a a sweet treat everyone will enjoy.
Valentine’s Day Puppy Chow Recipe
This Valentine’s Day Puppy Chow Recipe is one of our most favorite traditions in February. The kids love to help make it and of course we all love to eat it.
All of the red and pink looks so festive and you can easily serve this for class parties and more. We have even made this for a baby shower because all of the pink worked perfectly!
While this is a valentines day treat, we will look for any excuse to make it. 🙂 My kids go crazy over it and I love it as well!
The cereal gets coated with the perfect amount of sugary goodness and peanut butter to make each bite truly amazing! You are going to love this!
Let’s get started making valentine’s day puppy chow!
What do you need to make Valentine’s day puppy chow?
- chex cereal
- creamy peanut butter
- vegetable oil
- red candy melts
- powdered sugar
- gallon ziplock bags
- Valentine’s m&ms
How to make muddy buddies:
First, make sure you have a microwave safe bowl. Next, combine the red candy melts, peanut butter and vegetable oil.
Microwave on high for 30 second. Stir everything together and cook for 15 second intervals until melted and smooth.
My mixture took about 60 seconds but microwave times do vary.
Meanwhile, pour the chex cereal in a large bowl.
Pour the melted peanut butter and candy mixture over the cereal and quickly stir to coat. You want to do this quickly!
In a one gallon ziplock bag, pour the 1/2 of the total amount of powdered sugar. Then pour 1/2 of the coated cereal into the gallon bag.
Seal close and shake to coat the cereal. Follow this process in the 2nd bag as well.
Pour onto parchment paper lined cookie sheet and allow to cool.
Once the puppy chow is coated with the powder sugar, sprinkle the Valentines m&ms over the top and stir to combine together.
Don’t forget the sprinkles if you want to make this even more festive!
It is that easy to make chex mix muddy buddies for Valentine’s day!
How to store muddy buddies?
Store in an airtight container for up to a week and enjoy! We love this so much that they rarely last a week around here.
We all gobble this stuff up!
Muddy buddies variation ideas:
- You can use different colors for other holidays. So fun! We also make Christmas Puppy Chow Recipe.
- Another fun idea to add is nuts.
- Sprinkles are also fun to add.
- Try different colors or try plain.
- Add chocolate chips peanut butter.
- Try puppy chow without powdered sugar
So many fun and delicious options!
Try these delicious puppy chow recipe variations!
We love to make this year round and look for anything excuse to make this. From holidays and parties to baby shower and even game day, we are always making this!
Give this valentine puppy chow a try!
Try using different types of candy melts or white chocolate or milk chocolate. It all tastes amazing with the peanut butter.
This is the perfect sweet treat to enjoy for Valentines Day. The kids can help so if they are interested in cooking or baking, this is a great recipe to let them jump on board.
We use parchment paper to make this recipe even easier. Clean up is a breeze when you can just toss the parchment paper.
There are all sorts of cool variations to try and lots of fun Valentine’s treats to try out. From strawberry cake mix to red velvet cake mix and more, the ideas are endless for Valentine’s Day.
We enjoy muddy buddies all year!
We enjoy this delicious puppy chow recipe all year. You can change the colors easily to match any holiday.
Try using Spring m&m’s for Easter, halloween in October and any occasion you want!
We have even tried different kinds of m&ms. The nutella ones are so tasty in this!
Use what you have or can get on sale. We are big fans of using what we have in the pantry or can get a good deal on!
This recipe is very forgiving and easy to make. You are going to love it!
We love making fun Valentine’s Day treats at our house that don’t take a lot of work. Try this White Chocolate Popcorn for a festive and delicious treat.
Print this Valentine’s day muddy buddy recipe below:
We make Valentine's Day Puppy Chow Recipe every year for a special treat. Whether you call it puppy chow or muddy buddies, this recipe is so delicious.
- 8 cups chex cereal
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups red candy melts - https://amzn.to/2t45rGF
- 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 one-gallon ziplock bags
- 1 1/2 cups Valentine’s m&ms
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the red candy melts, peanut butter and vegetable oil. Microwave on high for 30 second. Stir and cook in 15 second intervals until melted and smooth. (mine took about 60 seconds).
- Meanwhile, pour the chex cereal in a large bowl.
- Pour the melted peanut butter and candy mixture over the cereal and quickly stir to coat.
- In a one gallon ziplock bag, pour the 1/2 of the total amount of powdered sugar. Then pour 1/2 of the coated cereal into the gallon bag. Seal close and shake to coat the cereal. Follow this process in the 2nd bag as well.
- Pour onto parchment paper lined cookie sheet and allow to cool.
Once the puppy chow is coated with the powder sugar, sprinkle the Valentine's Day M&Ms over the top and stir to combine together.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week and Enjoy!
Try this Puppy Chow Recipe for another simple but delicious treat you can enjoy anytime of the year.
Try these easy Valentine’s Day Recipes:
- White Chocolate Popcorn Recipe
- Valentine’s Day Chocolate Pretzels
- Kid Friendly Cotton Candy Drink Recipe
- Emoji Covered Oreos
- Valentine’s Day Dinner for 2 for jsut $14! (with printable grocery list)
- how to make heart shaped cinnamon rolls
- Valentines Day Cake Balls Recipe
- Valentine’s Day Cake Mix Cookies