This easy Butterscotch Sauce recipe is rich and decadent. Skip the store bought sauce and give this homemade sauce a try with 5 ingredients.
Butterscotch Sauce Recipe
This easy recipe is so effortless that you will wonder why you didn’t make it sooner. It is actually very simple to make homemade butterscotch sauce. With only 5 ingredients, this yummy sauce comes together fast and it taste delicious.
We love this dessert sauce on ice cream and more. The ideas are endless for this yummy recipe.
What is butterscotch sauce made of?
Butterscotch sauce consists of butter, brown sugar, heavy whipping cream, salt and vanilla extract. This recipe is very simple and only requires 5 basic ingredients.
It all comes together for the best treat. This recipe makes it easy to enjoy a delicious homemade sauce at home. Store bought simply does not compare to this yummy butterscotch.
- Unsalted Butter
- Dark Brown Sugar, firmly packed
- Kosher Salt
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Vanilla Extract
How to make butterscotch sauce:
- Step 1 – Melt the butter. Place the butter in a saucepan over medium heat and melt. Then whisk in the brown sugar and salt. Add the cream until it’s well blended.
- Step 2 – Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to a low boil and cook for 3-4 minutes stirring frequently until the mixture is smooth and not grainy.
- Step 3 – Take the pan off the heat. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Step 4 – Allow the sauce to thicken. The sauce will thicken as it sits. Do not be tempted to continue cooking. Then it’s ready to serve and enjoy!
How to store and reheat:
The sauce is ok at room temperature for a few hours but should be refrigerated for long term storage.
Refrigerate the leftover sauce in an airtight container and it should keep for up to 2-3 weeks. It’s best to store in a glass jar or container. We like to use a mason jar.
Rewarm in the microwave before enjoying the leftovers. We like to enjoy the sauce warm. Be careful that you do not allow it to boil when reheating or it can become grainy or separate.
The sauce will thicken as it sits. Simply reheat and it will thin out and be easy to pour on desserts.
What is the difference between butterscotch and caramel sauce?
Caramel is made with granulated sugar whereas butterscotch is made with brown sugar. Butterscotch vs caramel. They are both cooked sugar but of various kinds.
Also, caramel sauce does not always have butter but butterscotch always has butter.
You will need a candy thermometer when making caramel sauce and also there is concern for the mixture crystalizing and solidifying the caramel. Whereas, butterscotch does not require a thermometer.
It often boils down to preference. Do you prefer caramel with white sugar or butterscotch with brown sugar? Both are delicious.
How to use butterscotch sauce?
- Ice cream. We love butterscotch sauce on homemade vanilla ice cream.
- Shortbread Cookies. Dip these cookies in the rich sauce for an amazing dessert.
- Apple Pie. Drizzle a generous portion of butterscotch sauce before serving each slice of apple pie.
- Perfect for dipping. Apple slices taste amazing dipped in this dessert sauce. It is a tasty dip for fruit. Try apples, strawberries, pineapple and more.
- Brownies. Drizzle butterscotch all over brownies. You might also want to top wtih ice cream too. It is a heavenly combination.
- Peach Cobbler. The flavors of peach cobble rand butterscotch pair nicely. This combination is delicious.
- Waffles. Take breakfast up a level and top waffles with butterscotch and whipped cream.
- Coffee. Top coffee, iced coffee or Frappuccino’s with this sauce.
Tips for homemade butterscotch sauce:
- Dark Brown Sugar. While you can certainly use light brown sugar, dark brown has a deeper molasses flavor. This adds an element to the butterscotch sauce that is so delicious. Dark brown sugar also gives butterscotch its deep color that is so pretty.
- Do not over boil. Make sure not to over boil. The sauce will continue to thicken as it sits so watch it closely as it boils for a few minutes. You do not want to overcook it or it will become chewy and hard to pour.
- Overcooking. Be careful that you do not cook the mixture longer than what is directed.
This rich sauce is easy and delicious.
Skip the store bought sauce and make homemade butterscotch sauce instead. It is so much better than anything you can buy.
The flavor is rich and creamy. It is thick and decadent to serve for dessert with many different options.
With only a handful of ingredients, anyone can quickly make this at home. We love knowing exactly what is in the sauce as opposed to store bought with tons of ingredients.
Once you try this easy recipe, you will be hooked. The flavor is the best!
Print this Butterscotch Sauce recipe below:
Homemade Butterscotch Recipe
- 4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- ¾ cup Dark Brown Sugar firmly packed
- ½ teaspoons Kosher Salt
- ½ cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium high heat. Then whisk in the brown sugar, salt and heavy whipping cream until it’s well blended.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to a low boil and cook for 3-4 minutes stirring frequently until the mixture is smooth and not grainy.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- The sauce will thicken as it sits. Then it’s ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More homemade sauce recipes:
- Homemade Caramel Sauce Recipe
- Hot fudge recipe
- The Best Blueberry Sauce Recipe
- Homemade Strawberry Sauce Recipe