Hot Chocolate Bombs are so easy to make and a ton of fun to enjoy. Not only are they decadent but you will save money making these at home.
Easy Hot Chocolate Bombs
We love hot chocolate and these hot chocolate bombs are all the rage. They are everywhere it seems but goodness they are pricey.
I bought one and the kids thought it was so cool watching the hot milk burst these little hot cocoa bombs. It is so fun to watch the marshmallows pop out and everything turn into a decadent and creamy drink.
However, this mom likes to save money and I just knew I could make these at home for much less. The results? These DIY hot chocolate bombs turned out so amazing.
The kids actually said they tasted better than the ones we purchased.
What is a Hot Chocolate Bomb?
Hot chocolate bombs are an easy way to add flavor to your hot milk. They can be made in variety ways for a fun and festive drink.
Melted chocolate is placed into a mold and filled with many different things. You can add in hot chocolate mixture, sprinkles, and more.
Once you place in your hot milk, the melted chocolate bomb melts. The insides are added to your drink to enjoy on a cold winter day.
What Mold is Best for Making Hot Chocolate Bombs?
If you love hot cocoa as much as we do, these are a must try. If you need a mold, we ordered ours on Amazon here. The mold makes it so easy to make. I definitely recommend ordering a set.
Using a chocolate spheres help to form the molds for the best hot chocolate bomb experience.
- Milk, White or Dark Chocolate
- Mini Marshmallows
- Hot Cocoa Mix
- Dome Silicone Molds (We purchased ours on Amazon here.)
- Candy Melts
- Strawberry milk mix
How to Make Hot Cocolate Bombs:
- Step 1 – Melt Chocolate – First, melt the chocolate in the microwave. I like to do this in intervals so I can stir frequently. Once the chocolate is melted, pour just a small amount into the silicone molds.
- Step 2 – Spread Chocolate – Second, grab your paintbrush and use this just like you would a basting brush. Make sure the chocolate is spread evenly in the mold.
- Step 3 – Spread Evenly – You need to make sure the chocolate goes all the way to the top of the mold. You don’t want any gaps in chocolate.
- Step 4 – Let Chocolate Harden – Next, let the chocolate harden. Keep repeating this process several times until you have applied several layers of chocolate to each mold.
- Step 5 – Remove Chocolate – Now, let the chocolate completely harden. This normally does not take very long and only a few minutes. Once hardened, remove from the mold.
- Step 6 – Heat Plate – Grab a microwave safe plate and put in the microwave for a few seconds. You want to heat your plate and this will not take long.
- Step 7 – Melt Slightly – Put half of the chocolate shells on the plate you just warmed up. This helps the rims to melt slightly.
- Step 8 – Add filling – Finally, put the hot cocoa mix and mini marshmallows inside.
- Step 9 – Continue with Process – Repeat the process with the remaining shells. Warm the plate, put the chocolate shells on it so that the rims can get slightly melted.
- Step 10 – Place in Hot Milk – Then place the chocolate bomb in a mug. Then pour hot milk over the top to melt and reveal the hot chocolate within. Enjoy!
What Chocolate is Best for Making Hot Chocolate Bombs?
When making chocolate bombs, choose a quality chocolate. You want to choose chocolate that melts smooth and creamy and doesn’t taste like wax.
We used different types of chocolate and candy melts for color and flavor.
How to use Hot Chocolate bombs
Place the chocolate bomb in a mug. Pour hot milk over the top of the cocoa bomb to melt. The hot chocolate mix and marshmallows should pop out.
This is so fun to watch and my kids love this part. I have to admit, I thought it was pretty cool too.
- Combining the Chocolate Halves – You want to quickly place the two chocolate shells together. This should be easy to get them to stick together since you just slightly melted the edges. Make sure to do this while it is still slightly melted or it will be too late.
- Smooth Chocolate Edges – The chocolate on the edges may need to be smoothed out. If you have excess chocolate, just use your brush to smooth it out around the seam. This is where the 2 halves were joined.
- Melting Chocolate – We melted the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl, but you can also melt in a double-boiler. Just make sure to stir constantly to ensure the tempering chocolate melts. You can also use
melted white chocolate.
- Layering Chocolate – Layer the chocolate in the mold and allow the chocolate to harden. You want to make sure the chocolate hardens so it easily removes from the mold. Use back of a spoon to spread chocolate into the molds. You can even use a pastry brush.
- Holiday Gifts – This is the perfect holiday gift to make for friends, neighbors and loved ones. You can easily prepare and wrap in a cellophane bag with a ribbon. Give instructions on how to use. It is a simple and easy homemade gift idea.
Hot Chocolate Bomb Variations:
- Change Chocolate – Use white chocolate or dark chocolate to make the molds instead of milk chocolate. I like to make several of different kinds.
- Make Snowman – Make snow man faces on the cocoa bombs. You can easily use a piping bag with a piping tip to make designs on the hot chocolate bombs.
- Drizzle Chocolate – Drizzle different types of chocolate on top. You can use melting wafers in different colors to match a certain theme or event.
- Change the Filling – Top with crush candy canes or crushed peppermint candy. You can even add in cocoa powder.
- Sprinkles – Add sprinkles on top for a fun and festive treat.
- Top with marshmallows – Mix mini chocolate chips with the marshmallows for even more chocolate flavor.
- Mint – If you want a minty flavor, add teaspoon of mint extract to the melted chocolate. We love the flavor it adds to the hot chocolate.
As you can see the ideas are endless for DIY hot chocolate bombs. Let us know what type you decide to make.
How to Store Leftovers:
After these hot chocolate bombs have been made, they do not need to be stored in the fridge. They can stay at room temperature.
They will last approximately 3-6 months depending on the expiration date on the chocolate that you use to make the bombs.
Print Hot Chocolate Bombs recipe:
Hot Chocolate Bombs Recipe
- 24 oz. Milk White or Dark Chocolate
- 40 Mini Marshmallows
- 6 Teaspoons Hot Cocoa Mix
- Dome Silicone Molds
- Optional Additions
- Candy Melts
- Strawberry milk mix
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave in 30 second intervals stirring between each interval and then pour a small amount into the silicone mold.
- Use a paintbrush and basting brush to spread the chocolate evenly in the mold and make sure that the chocolate goes all the way up to the edges of the mold.
- Allow the chocolate to harden and follow the same process 3-4 mores times to apply more layers of chocolate into the molds.
- Then allow the chocolate to completely harden (5 minutes) and gently remove the chocolate from the molds.
- Microwave a microwave safe plate for approximately 30 seconds to heat up the plate. Place half of the chocolate shells onto the warm plate to melt the rim slightly.
- Then fill with 2 tsp of hot cocoa mix and mini marshmallows.
- The melt the rims on the 2nd set of chocolate shells by following the same process with the warmed plate.
- Quickly place the two open ends of the chocolate shells together and smooth out any extra chocolate around the seam where the 2 shells join together.
- Then place the chocolate bomb in a mug and pour hot milk over the top to melt and reveal the hot chocolate within.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More hot chocolate recipes:
- Crock Pot Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix recipe
- Iced Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Hot Chocolate Starbucks Copycat Recipe
- Crock Pot White Hot Chocolate recipe
- 20 Amazing Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipes