Copycat Taco Bell Cinnamon Twist are easy to make at home. Anyone can make these cinnamon sugar treats without much work to enjoy any day of the week.
Copycat Taco Bell Cinnamon Twists
If you love to order Cinnamon Twists at Taco Bell, you will love being able to enjoy these at home. With only 4 ingredients, it is super easy to make this copycat recipe.
Each bite is so crispy and coated in lots of cinnamon and sugar. It is one of the most popular items on taco bell’s menu.
What are Cinnamon Twists Made with?
You might be surprised what this treat consists of. It is made with wheat pasta called Duros. As it fries, this pasta puffs up and turns into the texture you are familiar with at Taco Bell.
The process is very quick and takes about a minute before they puff up.
What are Duros?
It is a type of wheat pasta that you can find at Mexican Markets or grocery stores. It is different from regular pasta and called duros de harina. If you have trouble finding Duros, you can purchase on Amazon.
This particular type of pasta is spiral shaped and made with a mixture of wheat flour. Deep frying makes the pasta crispy and puffy. Cooked duros in hot oil transforms them into the best texture.
It does not take long for duros to transform into the puffed texture that you are familiar with. Regular pasta will not puff up when fried.
- Granulated Sugar
- Ground Cinnamon
- Spiral Duros
- Vegetable Oil (for frying)
How to make Taco Bell Cinnamon Twists:
- Step 1. Mix together the topping. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Step 2. Heat the oil. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot or deep fryer until its approximately 350 degrees Fahrenheit. You can also use canola oil or a dutch oven.
- Step 3. Arrange the pasta in the oil. Place the pasta in a single layer in the oil (approximately 10-15 pieces). Fry for 1 minute until the pasta puffs up.
Remove the pasta from the oil with a slotted spoon. Place in a plate lined with paper towels to soak up the excess oil.
- Step 4. Fry in small batches. Continue this process and cook all the pasta in the frying oil.
- Step 5. Place in a large bowl. Then move the pasta to a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture over the pasta.
- Step 6. Serve this yummy treat. Then cinnamon twists are ready to serve and enjoy!
Store the leftovers in an airtight container or bag at room temperature for up to 2-3 days.
Can I use other types of pasta noodles for this recipe?
No, you can’t substitute other varieties of pasta for Duros. Traditional pasta will not puff up when fried.
- Lime Juice and Chili Powder. You can make a savory snack by sprinkling fresh lime juice and chili powder on the fried pasta.
Feel free to add salt if you prefer and serve with nacho cheese sauce.
- Sugar Free. Swap the sugar for your preferred sugar alternative if you want to reduce the sugar.
Tips and Tricks
- Keep a close watch on these. The pasta cooks very fast so it is important that you do not walk away.
- Fry in batches. The pasta needs to have room to cook or the hot oil will overflow. Cook the pasta in batches to avoid this. It cooks fast so it won’t take much time at all even in batches.
- Immediately coat the twists in topping. Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar mixture on the twists right away. Once you take them out of the oil, top with the cinnamon to ensure it sticks.
- Serve in ice cream. This recipe is delicious in ice cream.
- Chocolate Sauce for dipping. Serve with chocolate sauce to dip the twists in.
With only a few ingredients and minimum time, this snack is fast and easy. Anyone can easily make this copycat recipe. You will love the convenience of eating this at home.
Skip the drive-thru and the value menu because you can make this yummy snack at home.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can make this recipe in the air fryer at 475 degrees for 7 minutes. Make sure they do not overlap or touch so the air can flow between them.
Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to fry them in batches. After they cook, coat in the cinnamon and sugar mixture. You will need to spray them with cooking spray after they cook so the coating will stick.
However, the cinnamon and sugar topping does not stick to the pasta when air fried as well as when traditionally fried.
Yes, feel free to swap the sugar for your favorite sweetener substitute.
Print this Taco Bell Cinnamon Twist Recipe:
Taco Bell Cinnamon Twist
- Stir together the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot or deep fryer until its approximately 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the pasta in a single layer in the oil (approximately 10-15 pieces) and fry for 1 minute until the pasta puffs up. Remove the pasta from the oil to a plate lined with paper towels to soak up the excess oil.
- Continue this process until all the pasta is fried.
- Then move the pasta to a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar mixture over the pasta and gently toss the pasta until it’s coated.
- Then cinnamon twists are ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe