Buttery shortbread cookies are topped with gooey caramel sauce, rich chocolate, and sea salt for the best Twix Thumbprint Cookies. These easy to make cookies will melt in your mouth.
Each cookie has all of the flavor of a Twix in a fun to eat treat. You definitely want to add this to your list of favorite cookie recipes.
Table of Contents
What are Thumbprint Twix Cookies?
They are shortbread cookies with an indentation in the middle. The center is filled with caramel and chocolate.
- Salted butter, room temperature
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Large eggs
- Coarse sea salt
- All-purpose flour
- Caramel bits
- Evaporated milk
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
Jump to the recipe card at the bottom for the complete list of ingredients.
Substitutions and Variations
- Milk or Dark Chocolate Chips. Substitute the semi-sweet chocolate for milk chocolate chips or dark chocolate if you prefer.
- Store Bought Caramel. If you do not want to make your own caramel sauce, you can use store bought caramel sauce.
How to make Twix Thumbprint Cookie Recipe:
Step 1. Prepare the oven and cream the butter. Preheat the oven to 350. Cream together the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment.
Step 2. Mix in the eggs. Add the eggs yolks and vanilla. Whisk the ingredients together until just combined.
Step 3. Add the flour and salt. Ensure that the flour is fully incorporated with the wet ingredients.
Step 4. Refrigerate the dough. Cover the soft dough with plastic wrap and allow it to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Step 5. Form the cookie dough balls. Divide the cookie dough into balls the size of 1 ½ tablespoons. Use your thumb to create a crater in each cookie.
Step 6. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Place the dough on the sheets and bake.
Step 7. Melt the chewy caramel. While the cookies are baking, microwave the evaporated milk and soft caramels on 30 second intervals until melted and smooth. Melt the chocolate chips in a separate bowl.
Step 8. Top the cookies with caramel. Allow the cookies to cool completely on a wire rack. Fill the crater of each cookie with a spoonful of caramel filling and drizzle the tops with the melted chocolate drizzle. Sprinkle the remaining salt on the cookies for the best salted caramel taste.
Tips for the best cookies
- Serving Suggestions. You can either serve these cookies warm as soon as they are topped with caramel and chocolate or allow the sauce and chocolate to set in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Don’t skip the sea salt. The coarse sea salt helps balance out the sweet caramel and chocolate.
- Chill the dough. If your dough is too warm, the butter will melt too fast and the cookies will spread in the oven. If you are a little short on time, you can chill your dough in the freezer for 15 minutes.
The butter needs to be the perfect temperature to prevent the cookies from spreading and merging together in the oven. Since you need to use softened butter in the cookie dough, you will want to allow the dough to chill for about 30 minutes in the fridge.
Shortbread cookies do not have as much moisture as other types of cookies, so they are naturally more prone to cracking as they bake. To prevent this, make sure you are not using too much flour.
You can do this by spooning the flour into your measuring cup and not over filling it at all. Additionally, make sure you scrape along the bottom of your mixing bowl thoroughly to ensure no flour is left unincorporated.
You can store these cookies on the counter for up to 4 days or in the fridge for up to 5 days. Store your cookies in an airtight container with a layer of parchment or wax paper between each layer of cookies.
More Easy Cookie Recipes:
Make these cookies today for a tasty treat. Then please leave a star recipe rating and a comment.
Twix Thumbprint Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer.
- Add the eggs and vanilla. Whisk the ingredients together until just combined.
- Whisk in the flour and one teaspoon of salt. Ensure that the flour is fully incorporated with the wet ingredients.
- Cover the cookie dough with plastic wrap and allow it to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Divide the cookie dough into balls the size of 1 ½ tablespoons. Use your thumb to create a crater in each cookie. Fill a cookie sheet with the cookie dough and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the cookies are baking, microwave the evaporated milk and caramel bits on 30 second intervals until smooth and creamy. Melt the chocolate chips in a separate bowl.
- Once the cookies are finished cooking, fill the crater of each cookie with a spoonful of caramel sauce and drizzle the tops with the melted chocolate. Sprinkle the remaining salt over the top of your cookies.
- Serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe