It is so easy to make Homemade Twix Bars. Enjoy delicious layers of shortbread, caramel and chocolate with this easy recipe.
Anyone that loves Twix Candy Bars needs to make this recipe for homemade Twix. It’s so decadent and surprisingly simple to make. It’s an easy to make baked recipe anyone can do!
Table of Contents
Why we love this recipe:
Each delicious layer comes together for a decadent treat. The caramel is ooey gooey and perfect with the chocolate layer. The shortbread cookie brings it all together for the perfect amount of crunch.
- All purpose Flour
- Powdered Sugar
- Butter- this needs to be softened before mixing.
- Brown Sugar
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Corn Syrup
- Vanilla Extract
- Chocolate Chips
- Heavy Whipping Cream
Find the complete ingredient list at the bottom in the recipe card.
You can add sprinkles, nuts, coconut or anything you like to these bars. They will not taste as much like traditional Twix but it is fun to try new things.
How to make homemade Twix bars:
- Step 1. First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. While the oven is warming up, line a 9X9 baking pan with parchment paper. You can also spray with cooking spray.
Step 2. Make the bottom layer and combine the flour and powdered sugar. Then cut in the butter.
Step 3. It needs to be mixed together to form a crumb mixture.
Step 4. Once combined, press the shortbread cookie layer into the bottom of the baking pan and bake for 20 minutes.
Step 5. Allow to cool.
Step 6. Then make the caramel layer. Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Then add the brown sugar.
Step 7. Stir together constantly and cook until the sugar is dissolved.
Step 8. Next, whisk in the condensed milk, corn syrup and vanilla extract. Bring to a boil and let it cook for another 4 to 5 minutes. Stir constantly.
Step 9. Remove from the heat. Stir for a few more minutes until the mixture starts to thicken.
Step 10. Once it thickens, pour the caramel over the shortbread cookie base and allow for it to cool completely.
Step 11. Finally, make the chocolate layer by putting the milk chocolate chips and heavy whipping cream in a microwave safe bowl. Start by heating in 30 second intervals.
Step 12. Once melted, pour the chocolate over the caramel layer. Just make sure that the caramel layer is firm before pouring. You can use an offset spatula to spread the top.
Step 13. Refrigerate the entire pan so the chocolate can fully set. Then cut the homemade candy bars with a sharp knife.
Frequently Asked Questions
Place the leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days. Make sure to use an airtight container. I also would suggest placing wax paper in between each layer of bars.
When ready to serve, allow them to sit at room temperature. This will give the caramel time to soften.
The bars will harden from being in the fridge. You will need a long sharp knife to cut the bars so they do not crumble.
If you are having trouble cutting them, dip the knife in warm water. This will help.
Another tip is to spray the knife with cooking spray.
We cut ours into bars but you can do any size you prefer. If you want it to more closely resemble a twix bar, cut them into slim longer pieces.
You can make this recipe in advance. Just freeze the bars inside an airtight container.
When you are ready to eat, thaw on the counter until ready to eat. They are best at room temperature.
- Caramel. Homemade caramel is so amazing and totally worth the effort. Make sure to stir constantly to help the sugar dissolve. This will allow the mixture to be smooth and creamy and not grainy.
- Chocolate. Make sure the caramel layer is firm before you pour the melted chocolate. If it has not set, your layers will not look clean.
While we are talking about chocolate, make sure to use a good quality. The results will taste better.
We used milk chocolate but semi-sweet or dark chocolate would also be delicious. You can even use white chocolate.
- Crust. You can use a food processor to easily blend the butter into the flour. If you do not have one, a fork or pastry will work.
- Layers. You can put the pan in the fridge to help set the layers. Sometimes I do this with the caramel before adding the chocolate. You can place in the fridge for a couple of hours or even overnight.
More Easy Candy Recipes to make
- Homemade Butterfinger Recipe
- Crock Pot Chocolate Peanut Clusters
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups Recipe
More Easy Dessert Bars:
- 7 Layers Bars Recipe
- Pecan Pie Cheesecake Bars
- Cookie Dough Bars
- Magic Cookie Bars
- No bake Peanut Butter Oat Bars Recipe
It’s your turn to make this fabulous dessert. Please come back and leave a comment!
Homemade Twix Bars
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9X9 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Make the shortbread layer. Stir together the flour and powdered sugar and then cut in the butter until it is mixed together to form a crumb mixture. Then press this mixture down into the bottom of the 9X9 pan and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Then make the caramel layer. Add the butter to a small sauce pan. Melt over medium high heat. Then stir in the brown sugar. Stir and cook until the sugar is dissolved (stirring constantly). Then whisk in the condensed milk, corn syrup and vanilla extract. Bring this mixture to a boil and cook for 4-5 minutes stirring constantly. Then remove from the heat and stir for a few more minutes until the mixture starts to thicken. Pour the caramel over the shortbread layer and allow for it to cool completely.
- Then make the chocolate layer. Put the chocolate chips and heavy whipping cream in a microwave safe pan. Heat in 30 second intervals (stirring after each interval) until the chocolate is completely melted. Then pour the chocolate over the caramel layer (make sure that the caramel layer is firm). Refrigerate the entire pan for 20-30 minutes until the chocolate is fully set.
- The cut into bars with a sharp knife and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe