If you love Coffee as much as I do, then you need to make these Coffee Cookies. They are loaded with coffee flavor and the perfect cookie to enjoy a cup of Joe with.
Easy Coffee Cookies Recipe:
My sister and I really enjoy our morning coffee. It is what gets our day going so I knew she would love these Coffee Cookies. They are soft, but with a crispy edge and the perfect cookie to enjoy with our coffee.
These chewy cookies are made with simple ingredients. You will love the strong coffee taste and the soft texture. Not only is these cookies loaded with a strong coffee flavor they are made with chunks of chocolate.
Even if you are do not have your morning coffee, you are still going to love these. These bakery style cookies are perfect for all ages and we love them in the morning or after dinner.
What are Coffee Cookies?
Coffee Cookies are made with instant coffee powder and topped with a coffee flavored drizzle. This recipe takes your cookie recipe to the next level.
The ingredients are simple and if you are a baker and a coffee lover, then you probably have everything you need.
For the Cookies:
- All Purpose Flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Light Brown Sugar
- Unsalted Butter (softened)
- Large Egg (room temperature)
- Instant Coffee or Instant Espresso Powder
- Baking Soda
- Vanilla Extract
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chunks (11 ounces)
For the Coffee Drizzle:
- Powdered Sugar
- Butter (melted)
- Instant Coffee or Instant Espresso
How to Make Coffee Cookies:
For the Cookies:
- Step 1 – Heat Oven – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step 2 – Beat Butter Mixture – In a large bowl, beat together the butter and granulated sugar. Add in brown sugar with a hand held mixer or stand up mixer until creamy.
- Step 3 – Add in Egg – Add in the egg and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
- Step 4 – Combine Flour Mixture – In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, instant coffee, baking soda and salt.
- Step 5 – Mix Dry and Wet Ingredients – Then slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Step 6 – Stir in Chocolate Chunks – Gently stir in the semi-sweet chocolate chunks with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Step 7 – Scoop Cookie Dough – Drop the dough onto baking sheets with a cookie scoop (approximately 2 tablespoons). This ensure that they are approximately 2 inches apart.
- Step 8 – Bake Cookies – Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes. Bake until the edges of the cookies are set and golden brown. The centers may appear not done yet but they will continue to cook as they set.
- Step 9 – Cool Cookies – Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Then move them to a wire rack to cool completely.
How to Make Coffee Drizzle:
- Step 1 – Combine Milk and Coffee – In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and the instant coffee or espresso. Set aside.
- Step 2 – Mix Powdered Sugar and Butter – In a separate bowl, mix together the powdered sugar and melted butter.
- Step 3 – Add in Coffee Mixture – Then slowly add in the coffee mixture into the butter mixture. Mix until combined and a good drizzle consistency. If the mixture is too thick, slowly add more milk. If the mixture is too thin, slowly add more powdered sugar.
- Step 4 – Drizzle on Cookie – Drizzle the coffee icing over the cookies. Allow the icing to set and then the cookies are ready to serve and enjoy.
Are Coffee Cookies High in Caffeine?
These cookies are not high in caffeine. The coffee that is added is less than a shot of espresso. So you are safe to enjoy these cookies for an after dinner dessert or with your morning coffee.
- Room Temperature Ingredients – When combining the ingredients make sure the ingredients are at room temperature. This helps to blend the ingredients easily and prevents lumps in your batter.
- Mixing Ingredients – The batter should be mixed until just combined. Do not overmix the batter. You can mix with a stand mixer or electric mixer.
- Adding in Chocolate Chunks – When mixing this chocolate chunks in, you want to use a wooden spoon.
- Preparing Baking Sheet – Make sure to line the baking sheet with parchment paper. This helps for an easy clean up and serving the cookies. You can also use a baking tray or a silicone mat to bake the cookies.
- Cooking Scoop – For best results we recommend using a cookie scoop to scoop the cookie dough balls. This helps to have about the same size cookies and cooks evenly.
- Baking Cookies – Bake the cookies until they are golden brown. If the center may not seem done, they will continue cooking on the baking sheet.
- Cool Cookies – After baking the cookies, place on a cooling rack to cool completely before adding glaze.
- Glaze – If the glaze is to thin, add in more powdered sugar. If it is to thick add in more milk.
- Chocolate Chips – If you can’t find chocolate chunks, you can also use chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips. Adding the coffee powder to the chocolate chip cookies makes for a delicious cookie.
- Butter – We used unsalted butter in this recipe, but you can also use salted butter or vegan butter.
- Sugar – Feel free to substitute white sugar with coconut sugar.
- Coffee – Feel free to use different types of coffee for this recipe. You can even use decaf coffee if you want to serve to kids.
How to Freeze Coffee Cookies:
These Coffee Cookies freeze well and there are two options you can choose from. You can freeze the dough which is the method we prefer or you can freeze the cookies.
This is the perfect recipe to double to prepare for the holiday or for any occasion.
Freezing Cookie Dough:
After forming the dough balls, flash freeze on a baking sheet for 1 to 2 hours. Then freeze in bags or freezer containers until ready to bake.
This method makes it super easy to enjoy fresh baked cookies any day of the week. Just note that frozen cookies will need a few extra minutes to bake.
The other option is to freeze the cookies after they are baked. Place parchment paper in between the layers when freezing. You can use a freezer container or bag and freeze up to 3 months.
How to Store Leftovers:
Store the leftover cookies at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days. If leaving on a tray make sure to cover with plastic wrap.
Since the cookies have icing, layer them in between sheets of parchment paper so that the cookies do not stick together.
Print Recipe for Coffee Cookies:
For the Cookies:
For the Cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar with a hand held mixer or stand up mixer until creamy.
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, instant coffee, seal and baking soda.
- Then slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Gently stir in the semi-sweet chocolate chunks with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Drop the dough onto baking sheets with a cookie scoop (approximately 2 tablespoons) and ensure that they are approximately 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes until the edges of the cookies are set and golden brown (the centers may appear not done yet but they will continue to cook as they set).
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then move them to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the Coffee Drizzle:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and the instant coffee or espresso. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the powdered sugar and melted butter.
- Then slowly add in the coffee mixture into the butter mixture until combined and a good drizzle consistency. If the mixture is too thick, slowly add more milk and if the mixture is too thin, slowly add more powdered sugar.
- Drizzle the coffee icing over the cookies. Allow the icing to set and then the cookies are ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe