Chocolate chip pudding cookies are so soft and delicious. They are loaded with tons of chocolate chips in each bite. The secret ingredient is pudding mix for a fabulous dessert.
The recipe is super easy to make and the results are amazing. The pudding makes all the difference in these tasty cookies. Once you try it, you will be hooked. This cookie recipe is perfect for busy moms, and I make it often.
They are soft and gooey and amazing. Anytime I make these, everyone goes crazy. My kids call these pudding cookies and ask for them again and again. The recipe has all the flavors of traditional Chocolate Chip Cookies but the texture is a bit different with the pudding.
Table of contents
Why add pudding mix to cookies?
The pudding mix makes the cookies super moist and soft. The texture is really amazing because of the pudding in the dough.
The outside is still crispy and delicious but the inside is perfectly soft and fluffy.
Just make sure you are only adding the dry pudding mix. You do not want to make the pudding according to the box instructions.
- unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- light brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- Large Eggs
- Vanilla Extract
- Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
- Milk Chocolate Chips
The entire ingredient list and instructions are at the very bottom of the page.
- Try different types of pudding flavors. Butterscotch and chocolate pudding are some ideas. Cheesecake is also delicious. Just make sure to use instant pudding mix.
Vanilla is a classic and our favorite. However, these other flavors make a yummy option for something different.
- Substitute white chocolate chips, dark chocolate, semi sweet chocolate chips, peanut butter or butterscotch morsels in the recipe. All of these are tasty ideas.
- Add ½ cup nuts to the cookie dough. Chopped pecans and walnuts are delicious. Just use what you have in the pantry or prefer the most.
How to make chocolate chip pudding cookies
- Step 1. First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Step 2. Get out a large bowl and beat together the butter and both types of sugar.
Step 3. You can use either a hand held mixer or a stand mixer. Combine until the mixture is smooth and fluffy.
Step 4. Next, add in the eggs, one at a time. Once combined, add in the vanilla extract. Combine the eggs and vanilla together.
Step 5. Then, get out a separate bowl. Mix the dry ingredients: pudding mix, flour, baking soda and salt. Once combined, stir in the chocolate chips by hand.
Step 6. Finally, drop the cookie dough batter on the baking sheets. I prefer to use a cookie scoop.
Step 7. Bake the cookies until the edges are slightly golden brown. It takes about 8-10 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Place the cookies inside an air tight container at room temperature. They will last up to 1 week.
Just make sure the cookies are completely cool before storing. If you try to store them warm, the moisture will make the cookies stick together. It will also change the texture of the cookies.
Allow the baked cookies to cool and place inside a freezer bag.
You can also use a freezer container. I like to separate the layers of cookies with parchment paper. It makes it easy to just grab a couple of cookies when you don’t want to thaw all of them.
The cookies can be frozen up to 3 months.
You can also freeze the cookie dough before baking.
Just combine the dough as normal and place the balls on a cookie sheet.
Don’t bake the cookies but instead place in the freezer. Let the cookies flash freeze for 1 to 2 hours. Then place the cookie dough balls inside a freezer container.
Since you flash froze the cookies, they won’t stick to each other. This will be helpful later once you want to bake them.
When ready to enjoy, bake as normal. You may need to allow a few extra minutes baking time for the frozen cookies.
It is nice to have some to enjoy now and more in the freezer. You can find more tips and tricks on freezing cookies.
- The pudding needs to be instant pudding. You do not want to use the type of pudding you have to cook. Also, do not mix the pudding according to the box as you are only using the dry mix.
- Line the baking sheet with parchment paper or use a silicone baking mat. Both of these will make clean up easier. Plus, it also helps the cookies to bake evenly.
- All of the ingredients need to be precisely measured. Make sure to measure the flour correctly by using a spoon to add the flour to the measuring cup. Then scrape off the excess at the top.
- Don’t overmix the batter. It is really important to combine everything just until blended.
- A cookie scoop will help to ensure each cookie is the same size. This will also help the cookies to bake evenly. It also makes it fast and easy to scoop the cookies. We used a medium size cookie scoop.
- Make sure to give the cookies about 5 minutes to rest before moving to a cooling rack. If you move them from the baking sheet to soon, they will crumble.
- Don’t overbake the cookies. Keep in mind they will continue to bake on the baking sheet once out of the oven.
More amazing cookies recipes
- Peanut Butter Cake Mix Cookies
- Easy Cream Cheese Cookies Recipe
- The Best Butter Cookies
- Crumbl Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- Easy Homemade Butterscotch Cookies Recipe
- Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat together the butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl with either a hand held mixer or a stand up mixture until the mixture is smooth and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time. Beating after each one. Then add in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the pudding mix, flour, baking soda and salt.
- Then gradually add the flour mixture into the butter mixture until just combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop the cookie batter onto baking sheets using a cookie scoop.
- Then bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges are slightly golden brown.
- Let the cookies sit on the baking sheets for 5 minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Then they are ready to enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe