No need to go to Universal Studios to enjoy Hot Butterbeer. This easy recipe is a creamy and delicious mixture that harry pottery fans will love.
Harry Potter fans will absolutely love being able to enjoy this creamy drink at home. It is a delicious blend of butterscotch, cream soda, heavy cream and more.
We think you will agree that our recipe tastes very close to what is served at Universal Studios. With only a few simple ingredients, this drink is effortless to make.
This drink comes together quickly and you will love how it tastes. It is sure to be a hit.
What is butterbeer?
Butterbeer is a popular drink in the wizarding world of Harry Potter. The book series by JK Rowling mentions this frequently as a drink served to the students of Hogwarts. House elves also enjoy this drink in the series.
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando serves this tasty drink. Harry Potter fans go crazy over it.
This recipe is for hot butterbeer but we also have a cold butterbeer recipe. Both options are really delicious.
Our recipe is an alcohol free recipe. Kids and adults can enjoy this homemade hot butterbeer recipe.
It is perfect for all occasions and the entire family can enjoy it.
- Brown Sugar
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Butterscotch Syrup (ice cream topping)
- Cream Soda (cold)
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Butterscotch Syrup (warmed)
How to make hot butterbeer
- Step 1 – Combine the heavy cream and butterscotch. In a cold mixing bowl, beat the heavy whipping cream with the warmed butterscotch syrup until soft peaks are formed. Then set aside.
- Step 2 – Heat the mixture. In a medium saucepan, heat the milk, butter and brown sugar over medium heat until the brown sugar is dissolved, whisking constantly. Watch the mixture closely to make sure that the milk doesn’t over boil and the sugar doesn’t burn.
- Step 3 – Stir in the heavy whipping cream. Heat until the cream is incorporated and warmed through.
- Step 4 – Then stir in the butterscotch syrup until incorporated. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Step 5 – Stir in the cream soda. Blend together. Make sure everything is well combined. You can use your favorite brand of cream soda.
- Step 6 – Pour into mugs. Top with the butterscotch whipped cream. Serve warm and enjoy! It is amazing.
Jump to recipe below for complete instructions.
How to serve:
Pour into cups. We prefer to use clear glass cups so you can see the drink.
Top with butterscotch whipped cream. It is so delicious.
You can also pour the drink into a crock pot to keep it warm if serving later. This is so convenient for parties as well.
Hot butterbeer tips
- Don’t overboil the mixture. Make sure to watch closely as you are heating this mixture so that the milk does not boil over. I would not walk away as you risk burning the milk.
- Real butter is best. Don’t be tempted to use margarine in this beverage recipe. It will not provide the same outcome and won’t be as rich and creamy.
- Microwave option. You can also heat the mixture using the microwave instead of on the stovetop. Heat in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, to make sure that the mixture does not burn.
- Butterscotch instant pudding mix. Some versions call for a small box of instant pudding in the drink. This can be added to the milk mixture if you want even more butterscotch flavor.
- Whipped Cream. You can use plain whipped cream and drizzle butterscotch syrup on top for serving if you prefer. This is another tasty option if you need to save a little time.
- Don’t substitute caramel. In order to get this copycat recipe as close to the real thing as possible, butterscotch must be used. It really gives it the classic flavor that butterbeer is known for.
Does Butterbeer taste like butter?
No, it does not taste like butter. There is butter in the drink but it just helps to make it rich and creamy.
Hot Butterbeer is easy to make at home.
Anyone that loves Harry Potter will love enjoy this copycat recipe. It is very easy to create this popular drink at home.
Whether you are throwing a Harry Potter themed party or just want a festive drink for a movie marathon, this is the best recipe. The butterscotch flavor is rich and creamy.
The entire drink is fantastic. Make this easy drink and see why we think it is the best copycat recipe. It will definitely be a hit with everyone.
Print this Hot Butterbeer Recipe below:
Harry Potter’s Hot Butter Beer Recipe
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Butterscotch Syrup warmed
- In a cold mixing bowl, beat the heavy whipping cream with the warmed butterscotch syrup until soft peaks are formed. Then set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk, butter and brown sugar over medium heat until the brown sugar is dissolved, whisking constantly. Watch the mixture closely to make sure that the milk doesn’t over boil and the sugar doesn’t burn.
- Stir in the heavy whipping cream. Heat until the cream is incorporated and warmed through.
- Then stir in the butterscotch syrup until incorporated. Then remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir in the cream soda.
- Pour into mugs and top with the butterscotch whipped cream.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe