Harry Potter Butterbeer Ice Cream Recipe is a rich and creamy treat. You can make this Universal Studios recipe at home to enjoy year round.
Harry Potter Butterbeer Ice Cream Recipe
Those familiar with the wizarding world of Harry Potter will go crazy over this butterbeer recipe. This recipe is so easy and does not require an ice cream maker. You can enjoy all that you love about butterbeer flavor in this creamy soft serve ice cream.
While traditionally made at Universal Studios, fans can recreate this popular treat with this simple recipe. You only need 5 ingredients for this no churn recipe.
The recipe is so easy and does not require egg yolks or any fancy equipment.
What does Butterbeer taste like?
It tastes like cream soda topped with butterscotch flavored whipped cream. The flavor is rich and creamy.
More Butterbeer Recipes
- heavy whipping cream chilled, divided
- sweetened condensed milk, chilled
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
How to make butterbeer ice cream:
- Get out a small sauce pan. Over medium-low heat, combine your butter, brown sugar, vanilla extract and heavy whipping cream. Continue to heat stirring frequently.
- Cook your butterscotch sauce. Allow this to cook for 15 minutes, or until it coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and set aside. Let this cool to room temperature.
- Beat the heavy cream. Use a stand mixer and whip the remaining heavy whipping cream until it holds stiff peaks. Then add the sweetened condensed milk and continue whipping until it is thick and fluffy.
- Add the cooled butterscotch sauce. Leave a small amount for drizzling over the top and whip until just combined.
- Pour the ice cream mixture into a loaf pan. Drizzle the remaining butterscotch over the top and swirl with a butter knife.
- Freeze the ice cream. Put the ice cream in the freeze and allow to set overnight or a minimum of at least 5 to 6 hours.
Jump to recipe below for complete instructions.
- Nuts on top of the ice cream. We like chopped pecans and walnuts.
- Whipped Cream. Try adding a dollop of whipped topping on the ice cream. Either store bought or homemade would be delicious. If making homemade, try flavoring it with rum extract.
- Chocolate Chips. Mini or Regular Chocolate Chips make great toppings.
- Butterscotch Syrup. This will add even more yummy flavor to this amzing ice cream.
- Cherry. Go ahead and add a cherry on top. This always makes a great topping for any ice cream treat.
Tips and Tricks:
- Chilled Mixing Bowl. Place your mixing bowl in the freezer to chill it before beating the cream. This will help it to form soft peaks faster and make it easier to freeze later.
- Do not over mix. Only combine the heavy whipping cream until you see soft peaks form. You do not want to continue beating this.
- Swirl the butterscotch. The topping will look so pretty if you use a butter knife to swirl it. This will give you the marbled appearance and look great.
How to store:
The ice cream should be stored inside an air tight container. I recommend placing a layer of plastic wrap on top of the ice cream and then adding the lid.
This will help keep it fresh and prevent freezer burn. If stored properly, the ice cream will last up to 3 months.
Print this Harry Potter Butterbeer Ice cream recipe:
Harry Potter Butterbeer Ice Cream
- In a small pan over medium-low heat, combine your butter, brown sugar, vanilla extract and ¼ cup heavy whipping cream. Stirring frequently, cook your butterscotch sauce for 15 minutes, or until it coats the back of a spoon. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip the remaining heavy whipping cream until it holds stiff peaks. Add the sweetened condensed milk and continue whipping until thick and fluffy. Add your cooled butterscotch sauce (leaving a small amount for drizzling over the top) and whip until just combined.
- Pour your butterscotch ice cream into a loaf pan. Drizzle the remaining butterscotch over the top and swirl with a butter knife. Place your ice cream in the freeze and allow to set overnight (or at least 5-6 hours).
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe