Heaven on earth cake is packed with cherries, pudding and angel food cake for a decadent dessert. It comes together quickly for an amazing cake.
Easy Heaven on Earth Cake Recipe
This recipe is the absolute best combination of angel food cake layered with a creamy pudding blend. The cherry pie filling makes it super yummy and so pretty.
Everything gets topped with whipped cream for a decadent dessert. Your family and friends will go crazy this easy cake.
It is light and delicious. The entire dessert is heavenly.
- Prepared Angel Food Cake. You can use store bought or make a boxed angel food cake mix.
- Cherry pie filling
- Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix. You only want to use the mix. Do not prepare the pudding based on the box instructions.
- Sour Cream
- Whipped Topping. We used Cool Whip but store brand is just fine.
- Almond Slices- toasted
How to make Heaven on Earth Cake:
- First, cut the angel food cake into bite size pieces. I like to do about 1 inch cubes. If you are not using store bought but a cake mix, make sure to let it cool completely first.
- Next, place the layers of angel food cake pieces in the bottom of the pan. This recipe works perfectly for a 9X13 baking pan.
- Then top with 2/3 of the can of the cherry pie filling. Try to spread it as evenly as possible.
- Next, top with the remaining cake pieces.
- Use a large mixing bowl and whisk together the pudding mix milk mixture. Then mix in the sour cream until everything is well combined.
- Spread the pudding mixture evenly on top of the cake. This step needs to be done right away because the pudding will thicken as it sits.
- Next, spread the whipped topping on top of the pudding layer on the cake.
- Finally, top the cake with the remaining cherry pie filling. Make sure to spread it around so you get cherry pie filling in each bite.
- The cake needs to refrigerate for 4 to 5 hours before serving. When ready to eat, add the toasted almond slices on top.
How to store leftovers:
Cover the leftover cake with a lid if your cake pan has one. If not, cover tightly with plastic wrap.
Place in the fridge. The cake will last up to 4 to 5 days. However, it is best served fresh.
Can you freeze this?
I don’t recommend freezing this recipe. The consistency will not be the same once frozen.
How to serve:
This yummy dessert can be scooped right into a bowl using a large serving spoon. No need to cut the cake.
You can add more almonds or whipped cream on top when serving if desired. This is optional as the recipe is already delicious.
Tips and tricks:
- The cake is best served chilled. I like to make it the night before or at least 4 to 5 hours so the flavors can combine. This also gives the pudding time to set.
- The cake is delicious using store bought angel food cake or a mix. Just make sure the cake is completely cool before making the layers if you decide to make the cake.
- If you prefer a thicker dessert, make the cake using a 9×9 pan instead of 9×13 baking dish.
- Trifle. You can also use a trifle dish so you can see even more of the pretty layers. This is especially gorgeous for special occasions or holidays.
- Individual desserts. Instead of a large baking dish, use mason jars, clear cups or dessert bowls. It would be so pretty and a great idea when you need an individual dessert.
- Pie filling. Cherry is delicious but it is tasty with blueberry, lemon and strawberry pie filling too. We even like apple pie filling during the Fall for something different.
- Cake. Substitute yellow cake, white cake or pound cake in this recipe. Any of these would be great. More ideas include chocolate cake or brownies.
- Nuts. The slivered almonds are optional. If you don’t care for nuts, just leave them off.
- Sour Cream. You can use plain Greek yogurt instead. Either option is tasty. Just make sure you use plain Greek yogurt and not a flavor.
- Cool Whip. You can use homemade whipped cream if you prefer.
- Pudding. Try other flavors such as cheesecake and lemon.
Why we love this recipe:
- This no bake recipe takes hardly any work to make. It is effortless.
- The layers are easy to make and look so pretty.
- You can easily substitute ingredients to make this using what you already have.
- Heaven on earth cake can be made the night before.
- It is the perfect recipe for any occasion and sure to be a crowd pleaser.
This dessert is delicious.
The soft and fluffy cake combined with creamy pudding and fruit filling make a great dessert. The sour cream in the recipe gives the cake such amazing flavor with the pudding mixture.
Don’t be hesitant to try it with the sour cream. It really adds a tanginess that makes the cake so yummy.
I think everyone will really enjoy this easy recipe. It is easy to adapt to what you have on hand.
You can also easily make this year round for all the seasons. It does not disappoint and will be a big hit.
Print this heaven on earth cake recipe:
Heaven on Earth Cake
- 1 prepared Angel Food Cake store bought or make a boxed angel food cake mix and let it cool
- 1 can cherry pie filling (21 oz.)
- 1 Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix 3.4 oz (just the mix – do not prepare based on the box instructions)
- 1 ½ cups Milk
- 1 cup Sour Cream or plain greek yogurt
- 8 oz Whipped Topping Cool Whip, thawed
- 1 Tbsp Almond Slices toasted
- Cut the angel food cake into bite size pieces (approximately 1 inch cubes).
- Layer half of the cake pieces in the bottom of a 9X13 baking pan. Top with 2/3 of the can of the cherry pie filling.
- Then top with the remaining cake pieces.
- Whisk together the milk and the pudding. Then mix in the sour cream until well combined.
- Then spread this mixture evenly on top of your cake. You will need to work quickly on this step as the pudding will thicken as it sits.
- Then spread the whipped topping on top of the pudding layer on the cake.
- Top the cake with the remaining cherry pie filling.
- Refrigerate for 4-5 hours before serving. Top with the toasted almond slices when serving and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe