Peppermint Bark Recipe is so simple to make and a holiday staple around here. The rich chocolate and festive peppermint look gorgeous together and taste delicious. This recipe is a must try.
Peppermint Bark is the perfect holiday treat with decadent layers. It is a great recipe for gifting, and everyone will enjoy it. The peppermint flavor is perfect for the season. If you love easy Christmas Desserts , try making Homemade Christmas Bark Recipe and 2 Ingredient Chocolate Bark Recipe.
Table of Contents
What is Peppermint Bark?
This recipe for peppermint bark is made with simple ingredients. Peppermint bark is a candy that is usually served during the holiday season.
The candy usually consists of crushed peppermint candy in a white chocolate topping. The bottom usually consists of a melted dark chocolate layer. This is the best Peppermint Bark Recipe.
- Semisweet Chocolate Chopped into small pieces
- White Chocolate chopped into small pieces
- Peppermint Extract, optional
- Crushed Candy Cane pieces (or peppermints)
Scroll to the bottom and find the complete ingredient list and instructions.
- White Chocolate. You can substitute white chocolate for almond bark. No need for a double boiler. Just use the microwave and melt in 30 second intervals.
- Add Different Candy’s – Choose any type of candy that you want and break or chop into bite size pieces.
- Sprinkle Nuts – Adding nuts to the chocolate bark with your favorite candy is always a family favorite.
- Celebrate different Holidays – Use different colors of sprinkles for other holidays- red and green for Christmas, green for St. Patrick’s Day, orange and black for Halloween, pink and red for Valentine’s Day. These are great year round.
- Use Different Chocolate – Try using semi sweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate for a change.
- Candy Melts – We love melting candy melts and swirling them into the chocolate.
How to Make Peppermint Bark:
Step 1. Prepare Baking Dish – First, line an 8×8 baking pan with wax paper. Set aside.
Step 2. Add chopped chocolate to bowl – Next, place chopped dark chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat.
Step 3. Stir until melted. Return to microwave and heat until chocolate is completely melted. Spread into the baking dish.
Step 4. Now it is time for the white chocolate. Place your chopped white chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Melt in intervals until completely melted.
Step 5. Once the white chocolate is melted, add peppermint extract and crushed candy canes to the white chocolate. Gently fold in until evenly distributed.
Step 6. Top with Candy Cane Pieces right away. Allow to set and cut.
Tips for the Best Peppermint Bark:
- Since chocolate is the main ingredient, use a premium chocolate in this. It will taste much better!
- Allow the bark to come to room temperature before breaking so that the layers do not separate.
- If the bark is difficult to break with your hands you can use a wooden spoon to gently help.
- Make sure to sprinkle the crushed peppermint right away so that it sticks to the chocolate and won’t fall off.
- Use the parchment paper to help break this apart so that you don’t get fingerprints on the chocolate.
- If you have trouble getting the bark out, use an offset spatula. You can also use a rolling pin to help break the bark if necessary.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you want to freeze peppermint bark, allow it to harden after making. Then wrap peppermint bark in plastic wrap and place in a airtight freezer container. When you are ready to serve, thaw in the refrigerator.
This needs to be stored in an airtight container that is well sealed. It can be stored at room temperature.
If you live in a hot area, it is recommend to store in the refrigerator.
Peppermint Bark will last up to 2 weeks if stored properly. We recommend storing at room temperature in an airtight container.
Storing the Chocolate Peppermint is easy to do. Place in airtight container and leave at room temperature. If placing on a cookie tray, make sure to wrap completely.
Try more Peppermint Dessert Ideas:
- Candy Cane Kiss Cookies
- Easy Candy Cane Pie Recipe
- Peppermint Fudge Recipe
- Try one of these 20 Easy Peppermint Desserts Recipes
Make this easy Peppermint Bark Recipe for a fabulous treat. Then come back and leave a star recipe rating.
Chocolate Peppermint bark
- 8 oz chocolate chopped into small pieces (I like to use a premium baking bar
- 8 oz premium white chocolate chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract optional
- 1/3 cup crushed candy cane pieces or peppermints divided
- Line an 8×8 baking pan with wax paper. Set aside.
- Place chopped dark chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir well. Return to microwave and heat on 15-second increments (stirring well between each) until chocolate is completely melted.
- Spread melted dark chocolate evenly into the bottom of your prepared baking pan. Set aside (do not refrigerate)
- Place your chopped white chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir well. Return to microwave and heat on 15-second increments (stirring well between each) until white chocolate is completely melted.
- Once white chocolate is melted, Add peppermint extract and Add ¼ cup of crushed candy canes to the white chocolate and gently fold in until evenly distributed.
- Spread white chocolate evenly (and gently, in case chocolate has not completely set) over chocolate layer.
- Immediately sprinkle white chocolate layer with remaining candy cane pieces.
- Allow peppermint bark to harden completely at room temperature before cutting/breaking into pieces and enjoying. This will take several hours at room temperature. I do not recommend refrigerating.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe