Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting is made from fresh strawberries and tastes so decadent. It is so creamy and fruit flavored for the best strawberry frosting.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
This frosting starts with fresh fruit and the berries are reduced to a strawberry jam consistency. This is combined with cream cheese and butter for a fabulously rich frosting.
The intense strawberry flavor is so tasty and perfect for cakes and cupcakes. I can literally eat this strawberry cream cheese icing by the spoonful.
You might also like Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Fresh Strawberries (chopped)
- Granulated Sugar
- Cream Cheese (softened)
- Unsalted Butter (softened)
- Powdered Sugar (sifted)
- Vanilla Extract
How to make strawberry cream cheese frosting:
- Step 1. Make the strawberry puree. Place the strawberries and granulated sugar in a small saucepan. Heat on medium low heat. Add a splash of water to the strawberry puree.
- Step 2. Continue to stir. Stir frequently and heat on low for 20-30 minutes until the mixture is reduced to approximately ¼ cup. Watch it closely so it doesn’t burn and add more water if needed. The mixture will be thick like a jam.
- Step 3. Remove from heat and let cool. Remove the strawberry mixture from the pan to a separate bowl and let it cool completely at room temperature.
- Step 4. Get out a separate bowl. In a separate mixing bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese until the mixture is combined and creamy.
- Step 5. Slowly add in the strawberries. Add in the strawberry mixture and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth using low speed to medium speed.
- Step 6. Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar. Then gradually add in the cups powdered sugar until the frosting is smooth and creamy.
- Step 7. Put the frosting in the fridge. Refrigerate until ready to serve and enjoy! This recipe will be enough to frost 12 cupcakes or one 9X13 cake.
Jump to recipe below for complete instructions.
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Stir together before using. You may need to beat the mixture to return it to its fluffy state.
Make in advance
Yes, this frosting is easy to make ahead of time. You can make this up to 2 days in advance.
Store inside an airtight container. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use. Beat the mixture when ready to use if it is not as fluffy as you like.
Tips and Tricks
- Piping bag. If you don’t have a piping bag, put the frosting inside a ziploc bag. Cut off the corner and pipe as normal.
- Double the recipe. If you plan to pipe the frosting instead of spreading it, you will likely need more icing. It takes more to pipe frosting with all the swirls and also if you are making multiple cake layers.
- Mixer. You will need a stand mixer or hand mixer to blend together this frosting. The cups of confectioners sugar and butter definitely require an electric mixer.
- Full fat cream cheese. This recipe is best with full-fat cream cheese. This isn’t the time to try reduced fat. It will not taste as rich.
Also, make sure to use brick style cream cheese so it will be the desired consistency.
- Other types of fruit. This frosting is a great base that can easily be used for other flavors. Try blackberries, blueberries, cherries and more.
- Freeze dried strawberries. Substitute about 1 ounce of freeze dried strawberries in this recipe instead of fresh berries. Use a blender or food processor to pulse the berries until they are the texture of fine strawberry powder. Combine the butter and cream cheese as normal and then add the fine powder.
- Red Food Coloring. It is not necessary but you can add a few drops of red food coloring if you desire. This will give the frosting a deeper color.
- Frozen strawberries. You can substitute frozen strawberries for the fresh berries in this recipe. Make sure to allow them to thaw first.
Drain in excessive juices so the frosting won’t be runny. Then make the puree.
- Lemon Juice. Add a teaspoon of lemon juice to the mixture if you want to reduce the sweetness. It helps to balance out the sweetness and also enhances the strawberry flavor.
How to use Cream Cheese Strawberry Frosting:
The ideas are endless for this delicious strawberry buttercream frosting. It is so delicious on a host of items including birthday cake. These are just a few of our favorites.
Frequently Asked Questions
We do not recommend strawberry jam in this recipe. The strawberry flavor is not as intense as fresh berries. Also, it is very sweet and will make the frosting overly sweet.
Yes, the frosting has cream cheese in it and should be refrigerated.
Refrigerate the frosting for 10 to 15 minutes. Then stir to combine. The frosting should be thicker.
Add a small amount of butter and combine with the frosting. This should help to thicken the frosting if still needed.
This yummy frosting is so easy to make and taste great on many different things. Once you make this frosting, you will be hooked.
Print Strawberry Frosting with Cream Cheese Recipe below:
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- Place the strawberries and granulated sugar in a small saucepan. Heat on medium low heat. Add a splash of water.
- Stir frequently and heat on low for 20-30 minutes until the mixture is reduced to approximately ¼ cup. Watch it closely so it doesn’t burn and add more water if needed. The mixture will be thick like a jam.
- Remove the strawberry mixture from the pan to a separate bowl and let it cool completely at room temperature.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese until the mixture is combined and creamy.
- Add in the strawberry mixture and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
- Then gradually add in the powdered sugar until the frosting is smooth and creamy.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Frosting Recipes:
- Salted Caramel Frosting
- Raspberry Frosting
- Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- Blackberry Buttercream Frosting
- Cool Whip Cream Cheese Frosting