Mint and chocolate come together to make this decadent and easy Thin mint cupcakes recipe. Pretty green icing and mint cookies on top make this look bakery worthy.
Thin mint cupcakes recipe
Do you love Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies? If so, you are going to be so excited about this new recipe for Thin Mint Cupcakes! Every bite is amazing and you will go crazy over the chocolate ganache, mint icing and luscious chocolate cake.
Plus, the contrast of the green and chocolate look stunning. This is sure to impress and be the star of the dessert table!
We make these year round but they are really pretty on St. Patrick’s Day. Everyone just loves them. If you love mint try our Andes Mint Cookies Recipe.
Let’s get started making these yummy cupcakes!
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar
- vegetable oil
- vanilla extract
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- baking soda
- baking powder
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients:
- chocolate chips
- heavy whipping cream
For mint icing:
- vanilla extract
- mint or peppermint extract
- powdered sugar
- green food dye
How to make thin mint cupcakes:
- 1. First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and put cupcake liners in the pan.
- 2. Second, Mix the sugar, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla extract and oil until it is well combined.
- 3. Next, get a separate bowl out and combine the dry ingredients together.
- 4. Add half of the dry ingredients to the liquid. Stir everything together.
- 5. Now, it is time to add the milk and stir again. Once it is mixed together, add the remaining dry ingredients and make sure to not overmix this.
- 6. Use a cookie scoop to fill each cupcake liner half full. You can use a spoon if you prefer but I love a cookie scoop. You can make sure each one is the same size and it makes it faster.
- 7. Finally, bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool.
Time to make chocolate ganache.
- 1. While the cupcakes are cooking, use that time to make the ganache. First, add the chocolate chips and whipped cream to a small microwave safe bowl.
- 2. Second, microwave the chocolate for 40 seconds at a time. Make sure to stir in between each interval. Keep doing this until smooth.
- It is important to stay close by so you do not burn the chocolate.
Let’s make the mint icing.
- 1. First, use your mixer to beat the butter until smooth.
- 2. Second, add vanilla and mint extract and beat again. Make sure to add the mint extract gradually because the intensity of mint varies from brand to brand.
- 3. Next, add in the powdered sugar slowly until you have the desired consistency. If it is soo thick, add milk to it.
Frost the cupcakes.
- 1. Dip each cupcake into the chocolate ganache. Quickly turn right side up so the ganache can set on top.
- 2. Second, use the piping bag and frost the cupcakes. I love these Wilton throw away bags or you can also use a ziploc bag if you don’t one. Just cut the corner off and frost each cupcake.
- 3. Finally, garnish the cupcakes. This is optional but we love to top each one with a thin mints cookie. You can even crush up a few extra cookies and sprinkle them over the top for more yummy deliciousness!
- Muffin tin – Silicone pans are so easy to clean.
- Stand mixer– So handy for mixing the cupcakes and making the frosting.
- Cupcake carrier – super handy!
- Cookie Scoop – Fill the cupcake liners fast with one of these and they will all be uniform.
- Wilton throw away bag – Clean up is easy when you just toss the piping bag!
Print the recipe for thin mint cupcakes below:
Thin mint cupcakes
- Cupcake Ingredients:
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Chocolate Ganache Ingredients:
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- For mint icing
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 mint or peppermint extract add this gradually as the intensity of mint extract varies from brand to brand
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- green food dye
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line pan with silicone or paper cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla extract and oil together.
- In a different bowl combine all of the dry ingredients – flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Pour half of these dry ingredients into the liquid mixture. Stir well.
- Add in the milk and gently stir again. Add in the rest of the dry ingredients, being careful not to over mix.
- Fill the cupcake liners half full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- Chocolate Gonache:
- To make the gonache, add the chocolate chips and whipping cream together in a small bowl and microwave for 40 seconds. Remove from the microwave and stir. Continue to microwave until smooth.
- For the mint icing
- Beat butter until smooth.
- Add vanilla and mint extract and beat again.
- Slowly add in powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency (add milk if it becomes too thick).
- Frost Cupcakes:
- Dip the cooled cupcakes into the gonache and turn right side up to allow gonache to set on top.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More easy cupcake recipes:
- Cherry Limeade Cupcake Recipe
- Orange Soda Cupcakes
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcake Recipe
- Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipe
- Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes Recipe
- Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes recipe
- Strawberry Shortcake Recipe