If you are looking for a patriotic and super easy dessert, this 4th of July poke cake recipe is the one to try! With only a few ingredients, it is so easy but tastes delicious.
4th of July poke cake recipe
This patriotic poke cake is amazing and always a hit at any party, cookout or 4th of July bash I bring it to. The red, white and blue inside the cake is so festive and the entire cake is tasty.
I love that you only need a handful of ingredients to make this but you have a really pretty dessert. This is our go to cake for July 4th, Memorial Day and more.
The kids love to help. It is so fun seeing the cake turn different colors from the red and blue jello. You are going to love this easy cake!
Easy Dessert for Fourth of July:
Poke cakes are so easy to adapt for what you have on hand or other occasions or holidays. We love this 4th of July cakes start with a box cake mix. Then add in your Jello mixes to give it that red and blue color.
This is our go-to dessert for all of our 4th of July activities. We love it that it is easy to make and it is budget friendly. The ingredients are simple and it taste so much better than store bought.
What is a Poke Cake?
A poke cake is a cake that you poke holes into after baking. It is then filled with different flavors of Jell-O, caramel sauce, strawberry sauce, really anything you like.
The cake is poked all over to allow the jello mixture to saturate the cake. The flavor gets in the cake for an amazing dessert. The kids love to help with this part and it is so fun to do. They take turns doing so it takes about 15 minutes.
What do you use to poke holes in a cake?
You can use a fork to poke the cake or really anything you have. The handle of a wooden spoon also works as well.
We prefer to use a wooden spoon because it makes larger holes in the cake. This allows the jello to really get into the cake.
This is such an easy recipe so just use what you have and make this amazing cake.
Ingredients for 4th of July poke cake:
- White Cake Mix and all the ingredients needed on the back of the box
- Red Jello Mix
- Blue Jello Mix
- Cool Whip
- Red white and blue sprinkles
How to make Red White and Blue Poke Cake:
- Make Cake – Prepare cake mix as directed and bake in a 9×13 pan. Let cake cool completely.
- Poke Holes in Cake – Poke cake with the end of a wooden spoon throughout the cake. I spaced the holes about 1″ apart on the cake.
- Make Jell-o – Prepare both jell-o mixes as directed on the back in the box in separate bowls with a cup of cold water.
- Spoon Jello over Cake – Then take turns carefully pouring the jello mixes over the cake. We like to alternate the flavors per rows on the cake. Only use ½ half of each of the jello mixes as the full amounts are not needed.
- Chill Cake – Then chill the cake in the refrigerator and top with the cool whip.
- Add the Festive Sprinkles – Sprinkle the top with your favorite 4th of July sprinkles! Serve and Enjoy.
Red White and Blue Cake:
We love making jello pokes cakes. The options are endless on the color you use. This red, white and blue cake is so fun to make and festive. Once the cake is made then you can add in your favorite colors.
The kids love the part of poking holes in the cake. Then spooning the red and blue jello juices all over the cake. This cake becomes a family project and my kids look forward to it every year.
Does this 4th of july poke cake need to be refrigerated?
Yes, refrigerate the cake until ready to serve. This is the best cake and so easy to make with just a few ingredients.
I think it is best prepared a day ahead of time. This allows the flavors to really soak into the cake and it tastes even more delicious. Letting the jello soak into the cake for several hour or overnight really helps with the flavoring. Plus it makes the colors so vibrant.
It is also nice to make in advance because it saves you time on the day of the party or cookout. You can just grab it from the fridge and go!
Variations for Red White and Blue Cake:
- Change the Frosting – We used cool whipped cream but you can make your own whipping topping or use a buttercream frosting.
- Add Fruit – Add some strawberries and blueberries with the sprinkles. You can even make an American Flagg with the fruit.
- Use Different Color of Jello – When make a poke cake the options are endless. Poke cakes can be made for any celebrations or family movie night.
How to Store:
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator covered. You can cover with saran wrap or with the lid that came with your pan.
Also see How Long Does Cake Last in the Fridge.
Perfect Patriotic Cake Recipe:
We love celebrating any holiday but the summer holidays are our favorite. We invite our friends over and everyone brings their favorite side. We get cake mixes on sale all time so this dessert is always on the list to make.
It is the perfect patriotic cake recipe rather you are celebrating 4th of July or Memorial day or any holiday make this cake. Red, White and Blue Cake is always a crowd pleaser.
Print this easy and delicious 4th of July poke cake recipe below:
4th of July poke cake recipe
- 1 White Cake Mix and all the ingredients needed on the back of the box
- 1 Red Jello Mix
- 1 Blue Jello Mix
- 1 Cool Whip – 8 oz
- Red white and blue sprinkles
- Prepare cake mix as directed and bake in a 9×13 pan. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Poke cake with the end of a wooden spoon throughout the cake. I spaced the holes about 1″ apart on the cake.
- Prepare both jell-o mixes as directed on the back in the box in separate bowls.
- Then take turn spooning the jello mixes over the cake alternating the flavors per rows on the cake. Only use ½ half of each of the jello mixes as the full amounts are not needed.
- Then chill the cake for 3 to 4 hours in a refrigerator and top with the cool whip.
- Sprinkle the top with your favorite 4th of July sprinkles! Serve and Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe